Brake controller

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I back my boat into salt water so that is the reason I wouldn't have drums of any type. If I never see another drum brake I will be happy. I still have drum brakes on my pontoon trailer. I have a set of disc brakes ready for them when they eventually fail.

With electric/hydraulic, bleeding brakes is a few minute experience. Turn on the unit. Bleed the brakes. Turn off the unit. Couldn't be simpler. Way easier than bleeding the brakes on any of my cars which I do every couple years for maintenance reasons.

Changing disc pads on my Kodiac disc brakes is 10 times easier than changing drum brake shoes. They are also easy to get since they are the exact same pads used on an older GM car.

Last edited:

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
idlespeed - hope you don't mind me asking questions on your thread but thinking you may have the same.

Anyone know the difference on the Tekonsha P2 / P3 / Primus, besides a few bucks? And are they plug and play or is there wiring to be done?

edit - reason i ask is cannot find a harness for my year, just about 2010 and newer.

Last edited:

Blind Date

Chief Petty Officer
The reason you may not be able to find a harness might be the wiring on the truck. They don't make a harness for my '07 Tahoe because of the way GM wired the truck. My '04 GMC HD is a simple plug-n-play. They wired it differently - meaning better/smarter.

Look on youtube for a video on wiring an electric brake controller for your truck. eTrailer may have one on their website to. That should explain why you can't find a harness.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
idlespeed - hope you don't mind me asking questions on your thread but thinking you may have the same.

Anyone know the difference on the Tekonsha P2 / P3 / Primus, besides a few bucks? And are they plug and play or is there wiring to be done?

edit - reason i ask is cannot find a harness for my year, just about 2010 and newer.
Isn't this the harness for your truck?

http://www.amazon.com/Tekonsha-3021-...eywords=3021-p

For your brakes, P2 or P3 is fine. If you ever want elect/hydraulic then I would get the P3.

Just so you know, large 5th wheels and other large trailers are coming with elect/hydraulic. They are overall more reliable. On my parent's 5th wheel with 3 axles, they used to go through magnets all the time. They used put a lot of miles on their trailer going cross country all the way to Guatemala.

bassman284

Commander

I think the main difference is the P2 & P3 will handle 4 axles and the P3 handles electric/hydraulic. If you don't need either of those features the Primus IQ will do the job. As I posted above, I've used the Primus with excellent results.

Idlespeedonly

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Since I dont have hyd./elec. brakes, and can mount it a 45 degrees I went with the P2. Those are the 2 main differences between the P2 and P3. And obviously the cost.
Redneck, you know you dont need a harness, it just makes it easier.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Since I dont have hyd./elec. brakes, and can mount it a 45 degrees I went with the P2. Those are the 2 main differences between the P2 and P3. And obviously the cost.
Redneck, you know you dont need a harness, it just makes it easier.

obviously you have never seen my electrical work:D

I went with the P3 because it came with a harness and the 360 degree mount meant I don't have to worry about it.

Idlespeedonly

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Well I pulled the boat to the river and back.
My trip includes passing through 6 small towns to the river and the same going home.
The difference between the standard controller and the progressive controller is night and day.
I knew there would be a difference, but I never thought it would be so much better.
I only have brakes on one axle, but I am considering going ahead and doing the other(since I can get the parts at cost through work).
I would recommend anyone that has a little extra cash to invest in a proportional controller.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
cool can't wait to try mine out. I've been on the raod too much to even put in on (vegas this week) but home for a couple weeks upcoming and I WILL get the boat in the water next week.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
And yes huge difference. 50 mile round trip and it was awesome

I have the same brakes on both axles that you have. HUGE difference over the single axle surge (Drum) I had. I am using the FORD OEM built in brake controller though, but it works just fine! (But it has it's limitations)

I just LOVE those Dexters!

Cheers,

Rick