Protecting VIN sticker

Ryan0186

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So the Vin sticker on my 1999 EZ loader 17-19 is gone, salt and sun have destroyed it. SC doesnt title or tag trailer so its not a big deal now. Worried that I could be moving to NC in soon and could have trouble trying to get a Title and tag. UI have considered just buying a new boat trailer locally but was wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to protect the plastic/paper sticker that has all the trailer info and VIN on it. Seems that most trailer manfactuures are going with these flimsy stickers instead of a stamped VIN. Is there anything that can be painted onto one of these stickers if I buy a new trailer to protect it from the elelments? Also does anyone know if EZ loader stamped the VIN on their traielrs? From the research I have done on both this forum and the internet it looks like the single sticker on the toungue is all.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Just stamp the vin into the trailer.

As long as it's there you're good to go.

You can even stamp it right through the existing sticker if you want.

Harbor freight sells letter/number stamp sets cheap.

jbcurt00

Staff member
IMO, its cheap and easy for them to use foil stickers. And allows them to add details like GVWR, capacity, axle ratings and etc.

I've gotten in the habit of shooting a pix of whatever is left of a trailer lD tag when i take possession of a used trailer. That way whatever WAS present and the info it contained, i have a pix record of.

Before you move, I suggest you call whoever deals w trailers in NC and ask them. If you can prove ownership, since its not being transferred from you to someone else, it shouldnt be as big a deal as if you lived in NC and were buying an undocumented trailer from out of state.

i dont have an EzLoad trailer, but the trailers Ive owned are marked in 1 place only. Exception was the model # for a gator trailer stamped on the axle tube. But no ID#

dannys2004glastron175mx

Petty Officer 1st Class
Do you have any Proof of ownership ? If so contact EZ Loader Trailer . http://www.ezloader.com/
with your vin # they will want proof of ownership . and a few pics , . I had to get a new vin decal for mine . They sent a me a new decal in the mail .free of charge . They are good guys to deal with .

bigdee

Commander
I live in NC and feel your pain. The DMV will want to see a tittle plus you will have to pay property taxes upfront. If you know the VIN you can apply for a lost tittle. If you do not know the VIN you have a problem. There is a way around this but I cannot advise or discuss on a public forum...just ask around when you get to nc and someone will help you. We see alot of un-tittled trailers from SC

Last edited:

Ryan0186

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have the MCO foir the trailer from the original owner. The problem is that that guy I bought the boat from filled out his info on it. Not sure if that would casue a confliction for NC or not.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Yes that's a problem.... The seller needs to pay sales tax from when it was new and title it in his name so he can sell it to you.....

bigdee

Commander
I have the MCO foir the trailer from the original owner. The problem is that that guy I bought the boat from filled out his info on it. Not sure if that would casue a confliction for NC or not.

Yes that's a problem.... The seller needs to pay sales tax from when it was new and title it in his name so he can sell it to you.....

you should be ok if the seller gives you a signed bill of sale. That is all NC needs (VIN and proof of purchase)to get it tittled and registered. Since it was never tittled (none are in sc if under 3500#) you have no transfer fee, just tilte fee and registration fee plus property tax which they appraise the value.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Hmmmm yeah if you purchased in a non title stat then yeah a bill of sale should suffice....

Does it need notarized? I dunno.