Boat trailer sizing

jj86

Recruit
Hello,

I have a 93 Searay 180 BR. The claimed dry weight in the brochure I found online claims 2200lbs. Currently, it is sitting on a rusted out shorelandr trailer (it is rusted at the V of the two crossmembers, otherwise good shape). I don't know the model, but it has 14" wheels on it and I think it may be 3000lb rated. So I found another Shorelandr trailer with the same dimensions (2x4 frame and 3x5 tonge with same length), but this trailer has 13" wheels and 2400lb rated. Would I be pushing it too much with this trailer?

Thanks,
jj

alldodge

Staff member
Hello,

I have a 93 Searay 180 BR. The claimed dry weight in the brochure I found online claims 2200lbs. Currently, it is sitting on a rusted out shorelandr trailer (it is rusted at the V of the two crossmembers, otherwise good shape). I don't know the model, but it has 14" wheels on it and I think it may be 3000lb rated. So I found another Shorelandr trailer with the same dimensions (2x4 frame and 3x5 tonge with same length), but this trailer has 13" wheels and 2400lb rated. Would I be pushing it too much with this trailer?

Thanks,
jj

Yes, the trailer only allows for an additional 200 pounds, fuel can add that.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I agree with AllDodge in his assessment. While the boat hull will be covered, when you add in all the other equipment, most everybody carries in their boats, you will be over the weight limit and looking for trouble...

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
If your current trailer can still be safely towed take it to a scale and find out the actual weight of the whole rig....

IF this new trailer really is the same construction including thickness of the steel you might be able to swap the springs, axle, wheels, tires, and maybe the coupler to the new trailer.... You would need to be SURE they were the same.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Btw "dry weight" is plus batteries, fuel, oil, anchor, pfd's rope, cooler, radios, fishing gear, and ANYTHING else added from the time the basic boat gets assembled..... If it's an outboard the engine is 't even included.

You MIGHT even find out your old trailer is lacking.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
If the old trailer can still safely carry the boat tow it to a truck scale and get boat and trailer weighed.... IF you are CERTAIN the frames are the same you may be able to transfer your axle, springs, tires, n coupler to the new one.

jj86

Recruit
Thanks for the replies. I was thinking that could be an option to swap out the axle/wheel assemblies. It looks like it's just 4 U-bolts that attach the assembly to the frame. I will have to check the thickness of the steel on the frame, I had kind of assumed it to be the same, but I will check that out first.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Whoops didn't mean to post 3 times before.... my first reply wasn't showing up even after I made the second one so I posted it again lol

also measure the width of the frames..... if one is wider than the other it won't work

Last edited: