tilt trailer question

wglanville

Seaman
Gm280, how would you propose to bend the tongue up? If I set the boat level to the bed, it will be 2.5" too high the tongue, or vise versa, if I level to the tongue the bunks need to be raised 2.5". That's how it's set up now.

That's how far off level it is

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Any rust holes? May want to look for a better used trailer.......

64osby

Admiral
I think someone mentioned buying a drop tongue. A 2" drop from what you have should make the trailer level if it is not bent.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Since you have an empty trailer now, get a long piece of string and find out if the frame and/or tongue is bent. You can replace the tongue on a tilt trailer easy enough. Fixing a bent frame takes more work.

wglanville

Seaman
Thanks for the advise all, it's the frame that's bent not the tongue, trailer is going away

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Might be a good call on your part. Almost nothing is worse than have to fight with a trailer. Because of where I launch, which is quite shallow I sure do wish that someone would start making tilt trailers again.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Or just find a nice old Gator trailer and fix it up.

In my case the Lund in my Sig is on a Spartan tilt. It's a nice trailer. Unfortunately I haven't seen one like it to fit the Alumacraft.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
I have a old glasser with a hug 200 hp Johnson on it...and it is easy to see that the boat probably filled up with water and the weight of the transom, motor and water....actually Bent the trailer frame at the axel!!!!

just too much weight back there.

I suspect your trailer had a similar load at one time9 before the bunks were adjusted to accommodate the john boat

bob