Trucks for Boats

naturelover

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Oh, BTW. My plugged GM converter sold for $85 yesterday at the local salvage yard, which easily covered the cost of the aftermarket replacement. Universal ones can be had for less than $50, but mine required some exhaust rework. The direct fit for my 4.3 was a little more at $175 I believe.

redmen62

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hit that gas pedal man!! From what I remember when we were rebuilding a 350 out of a 92 bayliner last year (pretty much the same engine you have), they have their best torque at around 3700 RPMs. With that 350 and the 3.73 rear end you have, you should be able to pull your rig just fine.

BUT if you want a new truck, I've been looking a lot myself recently for myself. From my research,

- If you like creature comforts and bells and whistles, a GM is the way to go. You get a lot of truck for the money. And they did a really nice job with their redesign.

- If you want a smooth comfortable ride, Ram is the winner hands down. They ditched the rear leafs and went with traditional shocks in the back, and man is that a smooooth ride.

- As for the eco-diesel someone mentioned earlier, it's a great use of a small diesel and gets great millage. And there's something about that diesel rumble. but like previously mentioned, the extra maintenance expense kills you. I ran the a fairly in depth comparison between the hemi and diesel (I'm an analyst, so numbers is what i do haha), and at the current average fuel, DEF, and engine oil prices, the eco will be about $.035/mile more to drive. I estimated that if you tow about 30% of your total driving, or drive 85% on the highway the additional cost will offset

and as forest gump said... that's all I have to say about that

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander
My 99 Suburban only has 293,000 on it and all I use it for is pulling an 18.5 foot deep v walleye boat,..

Pulls and runs down the road great,..............

KVH,

Few questions...

What area do you live in? Sounds like a lot of hills or possibly in the mountains?

Boat weight of 3700lbs with the trailer?

How does the 'Burb drive without the boat in tow? Could there be a brake dragging, truck or trailer? Just a crazy thought.

A new(er) gas truck will need to rev more than the 350 (or other older motors) as the motors are designed to rev to make power. Your motor makes peak power of 210hp@4800rpm, 300tq@2400rpm. GM's 5.3 (~'07-'13) 315hp@5200rpm,335tq@4400rpm. The newer GM trucks with the 5.3/ 6spd tranny do very well towing if they have the 3.42. I have towed our ~7300 travel trailer (here in Mi) without any issues with our previous truck, '10 Chevy 1500 CCSB 4x4 5.3/6spd/3.42.

BUT... as mentioned you may have other issues as well. Keep us posted on what the trans shops finds out!

Good luck!