How Long Do You Trust an Older Tow Vehicle For Long Trips?

oldjeep

Admiral
That reminds me -- should I be running a transmission cooler?

Not a bad idea if the truck didn't come with a good sized external cooler from the factory. Truck that old likely only has the one that is in the radiator unless it had some sort of HD towing package.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
If it's trying to shift back in forth between gears going up hills, you are better off just downshifting manually and keeping it there. Generates way less heat

1216bandit

Petty Officer 1st Class
An older well maintained vehicle trumps a newer neglected one in my books. My 96 silverado has over 225,000 on the clock and runs perfect...I really look after it, which is the only way to make them last and have confidence in reliability.

pckeen

Commander
How long can you trust it?

Right up to the point when it breaks down.:D

milehighjc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
8.1 didn't get put in trucks until 2001 so it likely has the 6.0. Fortunately, the 3/4T transmission is a way better tranny than what is in the 1/2T.

It is a 6.0L, 4.10 rear end. Gets rotten mileage, but I really dont mind since it's only role is to tow the boat. It really is more truck than I need right now, but I am expecting a case of 2footitis to set in sometime in the next couple of years. Assuming the truck is doing well, I hope to not have to find a truck at the same time Im shopping boats.