trailor to rig wiring

kennywaynem

Seaman Apprentice
My boat trailor has five wires going to a four prong plug same as on the truck where does the fifth wire go? I got it wired enough to go fishing but the closest I can get it is I have everything but blinkers I turn a blinker on and both blink simultaneously HELP PLEASE!

Blind Date

Chief Petty Officer
Sounds like a ground problem with either the truck or trailer. Your power for your running lights(Brown) probably Y's and runs down each side of the trailer. I've seen that before. Use a $3 12V test light to check the wiring on the truck. You can get fancy with a meter but I've never needed more than that to solve any trailer wiring problem.

Standard Trailer Wiring Code:

White - Ground
Green - Right turn signal and brake light
Yellow - Left turn signal and brake light
Brown - Running lights

Hope that helps.

KD4UPL

Senior Chief Petty Officer
No matter what problem you have with trailer lights 90% of the time it's a bad ground. Make sure your white wire is solidly hooked to the frame.

kennywaynem

Seaman Apprentice
Im sure the wiring on the truck is good I have other trailers I towe and they work fine the plug that was on it was bad one of the wires pulled out of the plug so I had to splice another one but I cant find another five wire to a four prong plug. Thats what my problem is I forgot to say that sorry

Blind Date

Chief Petty Officer
Seems like I had that problem once too. I just used a 4 wire/4 prong plug because that is all I could find. Spliced it into the existing trailer wiring, good as new. Regardless still sounds like you have a ground wire problem.

Last edited:

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
It's like 12 bucks for a complete trailer 4 flat wiring kit. Way cheaper than having your boat rear ended or a ticket.

2 Eagles

Petty Officer 1st Class
I thnak you have a double brown four plug. All you have to do is Y the Brown wires.

Attachments

• 4 Way Wire Plug.pdf
    91.1 KB · Views: 0

redmen62

Petty Officer 2nd Class
If I remember correctly, the 5th wire is to override the breaks when you out the truck in reverse... I don't think that's your problem though. Like others have said, I'd bet on a grounding problem