Leaving trailer in water for the outing

pfunk42

Cadet
Quick, probably dumb trailer question:

I boat on a small river. Typically in-season we have docks in place so there's an accessible place to keep the boats. I want to get this skiing season started sooner than later, and our docks (not even courtesy dock) won't be in until the end of April. The shore of the river isn't really accessible by boat. With no docks that seems to leave me the options of

- Leaving the trailer in the water on the ramp while we ski (assuming I'm pretty sure nobody else will need the ramp), or
- Someone wading/swimming out to the boat/in to shore

I guess for convenience's sake I'd prefer to just leave it on the ramp in the water. In the event someone pulled in and needed the ramp we are in sight of the ramp. I assume since that the trailers are supposed to get wet anyway that there wouldn't be any major issues keeping it in the water for say an hour or so?

Carpeted wood bunks, surge brakes, vault bearings.

oldjeep

Admiral
I sure wouldn't, for a couple reasons.
1) They are not designed to be left in the water. I'd be worried about water creeping in, or some of the oil in your Vaults creeping out
2) It is pretty rude to block the ramp

If you are skiing - what is the issue with getting wet putting the boat in and out?

ihearth2o

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Unless there is a natural barrier protecting the ramp (I'm assuming man-made barriers aren't in place yet either), I could see an errant wave coming from your very own wake reaching the launch ramp and causing damage to your trailer and/or tow vehicle. Even without an errant wave, any debris floating around (and this time of the year in rivers is a good possibility), might strike your trailer.

Also, not sure what kinda critters you have in your river, but chewed up brake/electrical lines are not going to be good.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Personally, even if the ramp was on my very own property, I wouldn't subject my trailer to the elements like that. At least pull it forward so the wheel bearings aren't sitting under water. Wheel bearing seals work great with thick grease, but water is...well water... and will seep into those hubs quite easily sitting there so long. JMHO!

ccarver80

Petty Officer 1st Class
Wouldnt you rather just move the trailer out of the way and only have to wade to shore once, than if someone showed up and doing it twice (once to move your truck and again to back it back up once your done?

keith2k455

Chief Petty Officer
How about this for worst case......say you have a cracked parking brake shoe, so the brake doesn't hold fully. Now, you have some debris hit the trailer or a big wave comes along, parking brake is weak and in turn puts pressure on the park bar, force of the debris or wave causes park bar to fail, now your trailer and rig are floating down the river.

Just saying, worst case. I'd either pull it out or go somewhere else to boat until construction is done.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Not sure I understand completely why you can't bring the boat back to shore to pick up the vehicle driver after they park. If it's that shallow at the launch you would have to back the tow vehicle into the water and then how do they get from the vehicle to the boat without getting wet?

Never leave your vehicle blocking a public launch. I've seen guys after launching that park wonky taking up 3 or 4 parking spots and when they return their windshield is littered with notes telling them what an dumb@$$ they are.

or something happens, boat accident, motor conks out or an injury and you call for help but they can't get in the water to come help you.

Buh-Bye

Seaman Apprentice
I would agree with not blocking the ramp. I don't generally boat on a river but I wonder if your tow vehicle could be at risk if the water level were to change rapidly? I would imagine some regulated rivers could see a big impact in a short period of time and you don't need bad/faulty brakes or anything else to go wrong for your tow vehicle to be stuck in a bad situation.

Just seems like too many risks and too much exposure for leaving the trailer on the ramp and the convenience you get in return, IMHO.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I don't understand, why you would want to do this? How hard is it to pull your trailer out and park, I have never got wet ever when launching or retrieving my boat?

jayhanig

Master Chief Petty Officer
Never leave your vehicle blocking a public launch. I've seen guys after launching that park wonky taking up 3 or 4 parking spots and when they return their windshield is littered with notes telling them what an dumb@$$ they are.

I'd count myself lucky if all I found on my truck after doing that was a few notes. Common courtesy requires you not block public access any longer than you absolutely must. I know people who'd key your vehicle for less. It's just not that tough to be a good neighbor. Move the trailer.

oldjeep

Admiral
I don't understand, why you would want to do this? How hard is it to pull your trailer out and park, I have never got wet ever when launching or retrieving my boat?

You don't pull an inboard ski boat right up to the shore unless you have some pretty special shore line. You've got a set of tracking fins and the running gear to worry about.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
You don't pull an inboard ski boat right up to the shore unless you have some pretty special shore line. You've got a set of tracking fins and the running gear to worry about.

That is fine although I don't own a inboard ski boat, I don't see where the OP state he does either. The main point is, don't leave your trailer and truck on the ramp.

oldjeep

Admiral
That is fine although I don't own a inboard ski boat, I don't see where the OP state he does either. The main point is, don't leave your trailer and truck on the ramp.

Assumption based on him saying that he had a ski season and the most common trailers with Vault bearings are on custom inboard and v-drive trailers. ;)

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
I've always said there's no such thing as a stupid question but..... you're going skiing..... park the truck and trailer where you're supposed to and wade or swim out far enough to get picked up....

The next guy launching doesn't want to wait for you to notice him, retrieve your skier, get dropped off and swim to shore, dry off and then move your rig out of his way before he can launch.

Last edited:
It is a good question, because it's one that comes up a lot and therefore means it bears repeating. As most have stated, the issue is not whether or not this is good for your trailer. The issue is whether or not leaving your vehicle & trailer parked in a public ramp is the right thing to do.

As for oldjeep's comment, the type of boat is of no consequence. It's not the duty of others or Mother Nature to steer clear of those with equipment not capable of properly utilizing the facilities. It's the duty of the boat owner to utilize the facilities in a way that does not impact the lake/river/ramp or other boaters. If this can't be done then the facilities should not be used.

oldjeep

Admiral
My comment was only that you don't pull an inboard to shore, you either use a dock or get wet.