Towing with a 2007 and newer 5.7 Tundra

tpenfield

Staff member
Now you are all set to move up to a 28 footer with twins . . . :)

naturelover

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I don't know that there is a large number of Duramax engines out ther snapping cranks, and is one of the things I wouldn't be really concerned about unless your pushing big hp tunes or something like that. I'd think you'd be more likely to limp the transmission before snapping a crank.

Many of them are still on the road, purring along just fine, including mine.

Keep it stock or tuned reasonably, and well maintained, and it'll run for many more years to come. Least that's the plan for mine :)

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander
Was it any good?

Yeah, it was really quite nice. There were a couple of things I did not care for, but no show-stoppers and intend to get one eventually, unless something better comes along.

I thought the build quality was excellent and the design is exceedingly clever. The standard feature and the electronics package are very impressive. I loved the bow and stern thrusters, they made it very easy to dock.

The first year or two of production came with a Yanmar 260 HP 6 cylinder diesel, also rated for 260 HP, but the Yanmar weighs 750 lbs less than the VP, and being a straight 6, must be far smoother (IL6 engines have perfect primary and secondary balance, IL4 engines only have perfect pimary balance). I plan to test drive an older one with the Yanmar before I make any decision to buy a particular one. 750 extra lbs can be a huge factor on a 28 foot boat.