Towing with a 2007 and newer 5.7 Tundra

naturelover

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'd agree that experience helps, but at some point the limitations of the tow vehicle will overcome the capabilities of the best driver. Things beyond your control can rear their ugly heads at a moments notice.

Idk if 2k over limit on a Tundra is that or not, but as tail gunner stated, when you start hitting trailer weights in the 5 digits, it's time for a heavy duty truck.

It may not be illegal, or uninsurable, but if one is injured in a wreck by someone who was towing overweight, there'd certainly be grounds for a civil case I'd think.

One may think their truck is capable, but I've seen a pull behind cement mixer start swaying behind a 1/2 ton truck, and it took two lanes of interstate for him to barely get it back under control.

Oh, and I've been backing trailers for decades, but I'm thinking my crew cab long bed dually will definitely be an adventure in backing when hooked to the 12' jon boat, lol.

bigdee

Commander
Just about anything can be brought up as an argument in a law suit but there is not a cut and dry law on the books. Also there is a difference between "recommended" and "limit". The lawyers would need the expert witness from the manufacturer and engineers to evaluate ALL the contributing data. Accidents while towing above max can be used as an argument only. The jury rules.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral
Can you cite one case of towing over the manufacturer's rated capacity that led to a reckless endangerment charge or conviction? I can't find any.

Your getting caught up in the heat of the moment..and yes but they are civil suits and are not subject to public scrutiny. However with that said i do not believe there is a public law on the book's that state's your in violation of traffic laws if you do exceed mfg's stated towing capacity's.

http://www.dangeroustrailers.org/Towing_The_LIne.html

http://www.equipmentworld.com/know-y...ainst-the-law/
Junior • 20 days ago No guy needs 90 pound female to tell then what they can and cannot tow behind their truck! If I can get it moving and stop it safely and it's not liable to bend my frame or tear up my truck, I'm towing it.....PERIOD.....In a legal expression...Priceless

http://www.hardworkingtrucks.com/imp...s-in-lawsuits/
1. DeHoyos v. Millennium Resources, LP. (Reagan County, Texas, 2007)
An employee of man Millennium Resources was driving a company pickup truck towing 7,600 pounds of drilling pipe in the course and scope of his employment. The trailer began swaying and he was unable to stop. He lost control of the trailer and the truck overturned, killing the driver.
The driver?s family then sued the company that he worked for, Millennium Resources. The Plaintifs alleged that the company loaded the driver?s trailer with too much weight and that they did not instruct him in the proper way to load the trailer. The case settled out of court for $945,000.
2. Martinez v. Wade (Ellis County, Texas 2008)
A man was driving a pickup truck in the course and scope of his business with Celadon Trucking. He changed lanes but was unable to pull his trailer back into his lane in a timely manner. His vehicle collided with another vehicle operated by two other individuals who were badly injured and sued the driver and his company.
The jury found that the pickup truck and trailer were not properly equipped to carry the load. The jury awarded the Plaintiffs $1.3 Million and found the Defendant to be grossly negligent.
3. Burkhart v. Loftin and Dacon (Harris County, Texas, 2010)
A lady was driving next to a truck whose trailer was loaded improperly. The truck / trailer was owned and operated by Infrasource Dacon, LLC. The trailer hit a bump and part of the trailer?s load came loose. A 300-pound insulator rolled onto the lady?s vehicle. She was injured and the jury awarded her $290,000.
4. Kaiser v. Down to Earth Landscaping, Inc. (Ocean County, New Jersey, 2011)
A landscaping company?s trailer de-coupled from the truck towing it due to a faulty trailer hitch and other safety cables and precautions. The trailer then collided with a 58-year old woman and did substantial medical damage. The jury awarded $2.7 million.
5. Perry v. Diffee Ford Lincoln Mercury (Colorado State Court, 2009)
Truck was hauling a trailer that was too heavy and on improper tires. The trailer came loose and killed a man in oncoming traffic. The man?s family sued the truck / trailer company and recovered $2.25 million.
6. Dearybury v. Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (Florida 2013)
An FWCC employee was trailering a 31-foot boat in the Florida Keys behind an SUV when the driver lost control and hit an oncoming vehicle head-on. The Florida Highway Patrol found the combined weight of the boat and trailer totaled 10,420 lbs., while the maximum towing capacity for the trailer hitch was 6,000 lbs. The maximum towing capacity for the FWCC vehicle itself was only 8,000 lbs.
court-gavel-260x173.jpg

The FHP conceded the negligent operation of the FWCC truck caused this collision which saw the death of two innocent people. The jury awarded one of the victims $1.3 million. More lawsuits related to this accident are still pending.

MORE ABOUT: 2012 PICKUP TRUCK TOW RATING, BALIDO & CRAIN, HEAVY TRAILER TOWING,MAXIMUM TOW CAPACITY, MAXIMUM TRAILER WEIGHT, PROPER TOWING SETUP, PROPERLY EQUIPPED, THREE TOW RATINGS, TOWING GUIDELINES,TOWING LAWSUITS, TOWING LIABILITY, TRAILER ACCIDENTS, TRAILER TOWING CAPACITY, WALTERS, WEIGHT CARRYING, WEIGHT DISTRIBUTING HITCHES

Last edited:

bigdee

Commander
The point is: if you have an accident and cause property/personal damage you are most always negligent whether your overloaded or not. In most cases the term?overloaded? means grossly overloaded.
To get into this situation you have be negligent to get into an accident in the first place.

naturelover

Petty Officer 2nd Class
If someone runs a red light through an intersection and I hit them while I'm overloaded, am I negligent?

bigdee

Commander
If someone runs a red light through an intersection and I hit them while I'm overloaded, am I negligent?

Long skid marks? maybe. No skid marks? maybe. You can be sued on every angle. AND counter sued. The result of any accident can be a crapshoot.

keith2k455

Chief Petty Officer
Sooooo...the tundra pulls good, but has soft springs. Can anyone compare the spring firmness to a 2003 era Silverado. Would they be softer than the springs on the Durango?

Black Snow Slide

Petty Officer 1st Class
No Title

I have a 2014 Tundra Platinum and tow a Monterey 250cr. My trailer and boat with gear is 8000lbs +\- . I have surge disk brakes on the trailer. I was towing before with a F250 deisal and moving to the Tundra had me a little reserved. I upgraded to a grade 4 trailer hitch. The hitch that comes with the truck is rated for 5k without a weight distribution hitch. The back up camera is perfect for backing to the ball first time, every time. My tongue weight is about 550lbs and gives the back of the truck a 1 3/4 " squat. 5 and 7 pin plug is by the plate and is well lit for hooking up at night from the license plate light. Towing she is sweet. I have yet to have a feeling of tail wagging the dog. She seems to love to tow at 60MPH. 63-67 it just feels like it wants to either go fast or slower. She also loves to tow at 70mph. Very comfortable. When I tow without looking at the speedo I end up at either 60 or 70. Cross wind of 20-30mph she tracks smooth. Backing with the tight turning radius the truck has makes tight back ups much easier. Good visibility.

Attachments

• photo217146.jpg
    photo217146.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 0

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander
Sooooo...the tundra pulls good, but has soft springs. Can anyone compare the spring firmness to a 2003 era Silverado. Would they be softer than the springs on the Durango?

The springs would have to be stiffer than Durango springs, but I have no idea how they'd compare to a 2003 Silverado. Soft rear springs are incredibly simple and inexpensive to address and should not have any bearing on choosing a tow vehicle, they are just something that you "adjust" to your needs. Air bag kits for a Tundra are less than 300 bucks. That's likely less than the the interest most people pay on their first truck payment.

keith2k455

Chief Petty Officer
Thalasso, Black Snow Slide - I got what I needed. Thanks for confirming that the Tundra is a perfectly competent option. The guy I bought my boat from towed it with a Tundra, so I figured it would be fine if I choose that.

Mischief Managed, I hope you got what you need too.

For me it will all come down to price, between the f150, Silverado and Tundra, whatever one I get best price on with my options will win. I like the 2015 Tundra but have a feeling I'll be pulling off the Chevy lot... :)

slag

Chief Petty Officer
12745 lbs to be exact. 10600 for 4wd.
I don't tow very far. 4x'a year to the ramp back and to storage. Boat is wet slipped

Fellow tundra owner here.

From the Tundra Wiki and the same is echoed in my owner's manual.

All 5.7-liter Tundras come equipped with a tow package which includes engine oil and transmission coolers, integrated trailer hitch, 4.30:1 axle ratio, and large braking hardware for increased fade resistance. Equipped with the 5.7-liter V8 the Tundra has a maximum tow rating of 9,000?10,400 lb (4,100?4,700 kg) depending on body configuration.

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander
Figured I'd update this thread to let you know I passed on buying a Tundra and bought a 2007 GMC 2500HD SLT crew cab 4x4 with a Duramax diesel and 6 speed Allison. It's a one owner with meticulous maintenance, clean carfax, and is fully loaded and rust free. I got it for thousands under NADA blue book value. My wife is pushing hard to buy a Cutwater 28 and I need something that can tow 10,000+ pounds with ease.

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander
No Title

Here it is

Attachments

• photo219107.jpg
    photo219107.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo219108.jpg
    photo219108.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo219109.jpg
    photo219109.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 0

naturelover

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Cool! LBZ!!

Considered by many the best year for a Duramax, and are apparently a little hard to find. I had been looking for a LBZ for a while, and finally found a fully loaded Sierra SLT crew cab dually 4x4, but had to travel to another state to get it.

That one looks really nice, how many miles?

Ming15237

Seaman
Figured I'd update this thread to let you know I passed on buying a Tundra and bought a 2007 GMC 2500HD SLT crew cab 4x4 with a Duramax diesel and 6 speed Allison. It's a one owner with meticulous maintenance, clean carfax, and is fully loaded and rust free. I got it for thousands under NADA blue book value. My wife is pushing hard to buy a Cutwater 28 and I need something that can tow 10,000+ pounds with ease.
A few words of caution with your new truck. There is a large contingent of us with the Duramax engines who have had our crankshafts snap in half. You can read about the issue in great detail on the duramaxdiesels.com forum. A contributor seems to be cheap oil and oil used for extended run times, as well as people installing "tuners" on their trucks in search of more power. Keep it stock and enjoy your new ride!

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander
A few words of caution with your new truck. There is a large contingent of us with the Duramax engines who have had our crankshafts snap in half. You can read about the issue in great detail on the duramaxdiesels.com forum. A contributor seems to be cheap oil and oil used for extended run times, as well as people installing "tuners" on their trucks in search of more power. Keep it stock and enjoy your new ride!

Thanks for the info. The previous owner took good care of the truck and so will I. Plan is to use follow his lead and continue to use Rottella T6 and Mobil 1 oil filters. I will not be tuning the truck in any way, it does not need any more power. When I want ridiculous acceleration, I just take my motorcycle (0-60 in 2.9 seconds, 10.2 @ 135 in the 1/4 mile), bone stock. I doubt there's much I could do to the truck to beat those numbers...