Towing with a 2007 and newer 5.7 Tundra

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander
I am thinking about replacing my '99 Durango with something newer and with a higher tow capacity. I've been towing 7400 lbs with the Durango for the last 10 years and it's been great (the drive train still runs like new at 160,000 miles), but it's rusting out and little things on it are falling apart. I have had excellent service from my 2005 Toyota Matrix and am thinking about another Toyota. My plan, regardless of the brand I buy, is to fly south to some place where rust is not an issue and pick up a used truck with around 100,000 miles on it and drive it home. I figure this will make the best economic sense and give me a chance to wear out the drive train at roughly the same time that the body rusts out.

For those that tow with a Tundra, how well does it do? Any issues I should know about? How does it do with 10,000 lbs or more? I figure 7400 lbs won't be an issue at all with 380+ HP considering I was able to tow it just fine with only 245 HP.

keith2k455

Chief Petty Officer
I'm not sure about this specific truck, but its sure a topic I'm interested in because I plan to upgrade after this boat season and the Tundra is one of my interests. My thought is to not put too much into it, like you said, a 10 yr upgrade is sure to be an improvement.

alldodge

Staff member
I am thinking about replacing my '99 Durango with something newer and with a higher tow capacity. I've been towing 7400 lbs with the Durango for the last 10 years and it's been great (the drive train still runs like new at 160,000 miles), but it's rusting out and little things on it are falling apart. I have had excellent service from my 2005 Toyota Matrix and am thinking about another Toyota. My plan, regardless of the brand I buy, is to fly south to some place where rust is not an issue and pick up a used truck with around 100,000 miles on it and drive it home. I figure this will make the best economic sense and give me a chance to wear out the drive train at roughly the same time that the body rusts out.

For those that tow with a Tundra, how well does it do? Any issues I should know about? How does it do with 10,000 lbs or more? I figure 7400 lbs won't be an issue at all with 380+ HP considering I was able to tow it just fine with only 245 HP.

You should do good so long as its a one owner. If you buy it from a lot it could have come from who knows (but there is always car fax, LOL)

Thalasso

Commander
This is over 12000. It has airbags on it to counter the squat. Other then terrible fuel mileage it's a great truck with a lot of power . 2007 SR5-5.7.
The Tundras have soft leafs for ride quality.
Buy the way it only has 44000 miles on it. I bought it new. 1 set of tires. 1 set of brakes and a serpentine belt that was a bear to change. Dealer wanted $900.00 to change it. Belt was $40.00 online

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
This is over 12000. It has airbags on it to counter the squat. Other then terrible fuel mileage it's a great truck with a lot of power . 2007 SR5-5.7.
Buy the way it only has 44000 miles on it. I bought it new. 1 set of tires. 1 set of brakes and a serpentine belt that was a bear to change. Dealer wanted $900.00 to change it. Belt was $40.00 online

Are you sure your rig is over 12K, your truck is only rated for 10,800 as a 2WD, the 4WD is less due to added weight of the drive line?

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks for the info, that's exactly what I was looking for. I can get around the soft springs because I already have a WD setup on my boat trailer and it dramatically improved the towing experience with my Durango. The electric brakes do too. That belt looks like a nightmare, but there's a youtube video that shows some tricks.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral
Tundra's have big power and a 4/10 rear end i believe, that makes for a great straight line towing. There suspension as noted eailer is a bit under the curve so to speak you would do much better in a HD truck but then again you probably already aware of that. One thing you should note finally the gross towing weight wars are being scaled back and that is good thing. Pulling is one thing.... handling over 6000lbs is completely another, hopefully you will never experience that much weight getting out of hand so to speak.

alldodge

Staff member
I'll recant previous, looks like your boat is a 288 Fourwinns, which is 9500 dry then add stuff and trailer your in the 12K range. Be careful out there

Thalasso

Commander
Are you sure your rig is over 12K, your truck is only rated for 10,800 as a 2WD, the 4WD is less due to added weight of the drive line?

12745 lbs to be exact. 10600 for 4wd.
I don't tow very far. 4x'a year to the ramp back and to storage. Boat is wet slipped

Last edited:

Thalasso

Commander
Tundra's have big power and a 4/10 rear end i believe, that makes for a great straight line towing. There suspension as noted eailer is a bit under the curve so to speak you would do much better in a HD truck but then again you probably already aware of that. One thing you should note finally the gross towing weight wars are being scaled back and that is good thing. Pulling is one thing.... handling over 6000lbs is completely another, hopefully you will never experience that much weight getting out of hand so to speak.

4:30 gears with the tow package. This is why the fuel mileage is bad for every day use. I bought the truck soley for pulling the boat
Up to this time there still isn't many if any gassers with bigger brakes then the Tundras. Includes 3/4 and 1 ton

Last edited:

Blind Date

Chief Petty Officer
"4:30 gears with the tow package. This is why the fuel mileage is bad for every day use. I bought the truck soley for pulling the boat
Up to this time there still isn't many if any gassers with bigger brakes then the Tundras. Includes 3/4 and 1 ton"

If the brake brakes are so big as you claim why you are you on your 2nd set with only 44K? My 2004 GMC 2500HD gasser went 150K before I touched d the factory brakes.

naturelover

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That truck does look a little small for that boat....

13k and 1300 on the tongue for a 1/2 ton? Can see why you added bags, lol. Definitely HD truck weight there...

alldodge

Staff member
12745 lbs to be exact. 10600 for 4wd.
I don't tow very far. 4x'a year to the ramp back and to storage. Boat is wet slipped

Honestly hope you never ever have an issue. Heard of to many folks towing above the rated load and they are at fault no matter what happened. As before be careful out there

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander
Heard of to many folks towing above the rated load and they are at fault no matter what happened.

Please cite a case. I hear that all the time, but my friends in the insurance industry (and my agent) and my lawyer friends tell me that in the vast majority of states, there are no laws pertaining to the tow vehicle manufacturer's tow rating recommendations.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Please cite a case. I hear that all the time, but my friends in the insurance industry (and my agent) and my lawyer friends tell me that in the vast majority of states, there are no laws pertaining to the tow vehicle manufacturer's tow rating recommendations.

I can vouch for that, having worked in insurance for quite a few years. Saw a lot of accidents come through the office, and not a single time, EVER, was overloaded towing a factor. And I can tell you we had LOTS of cases where overloading was obvious, being rural and farmers having a tendency to push the envelope to what a truck (or even atv) is capable of. (amazing how much a fully loaded hay wagon can weigh, or even a livestock trailer.)

If you are not towing commercially, it really doesn't apply. This goes against the group iboats wisdom that is unfortunately, not correct, on this matter. It is one of things that everyone has heard it is a bad idea, and uses what should be a law to justify it. Reality is different than common sense sometimes. (disclaimer, in some states, just having a commercial license can bind you to towing requirements, even when driving non-commercially...)

I'd trust an experienced driver with 12,000 behind a 1/2 ton before I'd trust a newbie weekend warrior who can't back with a jon boat behind a diesel 3/4 ton.

Last edited:

Thalasso

Commander
I can vouch for that, having worked in insurance for quite a few years. Saw a lot of accidents come through the office, and not a single time, EVER, was overloaded towing a factor. And I can tell you we had LOTS of cases where overloading was obvious, being rural and farmers having a tendency to push the envelope to what a truck (or even atv) is capable of. (amazing how much a fully loaded hay wagon can weigh, or even a livestock trailer.)

If you are not towing commercially, it really doesn't apply. This goes against the group iboats wisdom that is unfortunately, not correct, on this matter. It is one of things that everyone has heard it is a bad idea, and uses what should be a law to justify it. Reality is different than common sense sometimes. (disclaimer, in some states, just having a commercial license can bind you to towing requirements, even when driving non-commercially...)

I'd trust an experienced driver with 12,000 behind a 1/2 ton before I'd trust a newbie weekend warrior who can't back with a jon boat behind a diesel 3/4 ton.

;) Exactally.
I have that experience pulling double 45's. It's not me i am worried about. It's the other's i have to watch out for

bigdee

Commander

^^^^^^x2^^^^^^ It is not the capability of the vehicle that worries me....it is capability of the nut behind the wheel.

alldodge

Staff member
I'll just say I'm sorry I bought it up and apologies to all. You are the experts so anyone reading this now and later can use your statements as legal justification.

Last edited:

Tail_Gunner

Admiral
Each person is entitled to do as they please, yes if a person was to get into a accident and you were over capacity and it was documented your at fault and hopefully that will never happen to anyone. You must also realize that there are many other condition's such as downhill stretches and areas of high wind's. I live in a area where we do have high wind's it called the Columbia river gorge a scenic area. Those who drive that stretch with large loads will tell anything over 10000 lbs its dually time lateral wind force is something to experience it can be very humbling...pulling a 8% grades comes into play actually not a big deal but coming down is huge deal..both brakeing and turning hopefully again no one will ever get into that situation where brakes fade or high winds buffet your load and you find your 10k load driving you.

Now straight pulling 10k 10 miles there is not to much to that as noted already..Opps as to law suits it's called reckless endangerment that is knowingly pulling more weight than the mfg spefication's intended limitation's.
http://www.mountaindirectory.com/

Last edited: