How much truck do i need?

jackrabbit66

Seaman
I'm in the market for a truck and I'm wondering if a F150 v6 4.2L Manual Transmission Truck is too small to haul my 19' bow rider. Many have told me I need a v8 4x4 to launch at the boat ramps. I'm curious to hear the opinion of someone with personal experience or actual knowledge.

Thank you!

alldodge

Staff member
I'm in the market for a truck and I'm wondering if a F150 v6 4.2L Manual Transmission Truck is too small to haul my 19' bow rider. Many have told me I need a v8 4x4 to launch at the boat ramps. I'm curious to hear the opinion of someone with personal experience or actual knowledge.

Thank you!

Depends on weight of the boat and year of truck. The truck may be able to tow 6500 lb but may also have problems pulling a long hill. I use to own a truck with a 6cyl but every hill caused me to keep the pedal on the floor. The 4x4 are far superior for wet ramps, and when you start to slid into the water because your rear wheels are slipping your going to wish you had it. Doesn't happen all the time but it does happen. What year is your truck an what kind are you looking at?

southkogs

Staff member
My boat is about 2,400# with trailer, and my 4.0 mountaineer would pull it out of the ramp I normally use (not too steep). HOWEVER, there are several ramps in my area that there is no way the 4.0 would pull it out.

That said, I pull out of some fairly steep ramps from time to time, and neither of my tow vehicles (5.4l E150 & a 5.7l Dodge 2500) are 4x4s. We do get algae growing on our ramps sometimes, and it can get a little slick, so to AllDodge's point the 4x4 would help.

How heavy is your 19'?

oldjeep

Admiral
Used to tow a 19ft bayliner with a Kia Sorrento and never felt like it was too much for the SUV. I'd sure like to see a ramp where a 4.0L couldn't pull 2400lbs

bobsquatch

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Used to tow a 19ft bayliner with a Kia Sorrento and never felt like it was too much for the SUV. I'd sure like to see a ramp where a 4.0L couldn't pull 2400lbs

Exactly right. The engine in my geo metro will pull that boat up the ramp in first gear. Your issue at the ramp will be traction. Auto trannys make it easier if you can put them in 2nd gear and slowly add throttle until you begin to move. Manuals require a bit more finesse'. Four wheel drive is ideal. As far as towing in general goes the less experience you have the more truck you need. Almost anything you buy will be rated over 3,000 lbs but check to be sure. If all you ever tow is a small boat locally you should be fine with almost anything on the market so make sure you are happy with what you buy besides its towing capacity. You certainly don't need as diesel 4x4 if a properly equiped minivan suv or compact truck suits your needs better. Then again you never know what the future holds so... Good luck.

wrench 3

Commander
I pull a 26' fiberglass cruiser with a 4.7L but have four wheel drive. I can't see that the 4.2 would be a problem but with out 4X4 you might have to pick your ramps.

bigdee

Commander
As far as being power capable it is more than adequate. Whether or not you need 4wd, no one here can answer that unless they are familiar with your ramps. My advice is to spend some time at the ramp and observe similar pickup/boat combinations.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
As far as being power capable it is more than adequate. Whether or not you need 4wd, no one here can answer that unless they are familiar with your ramps. My advice is to spend some time at the ramp and observe similar pickup/boat combinations.

^^^^^good advice here but also remember most people over do it so temper your opinions. I have a 14' fishing boat and a 3500 dually diesel....

I used a 4.3 Chevy for many years pulling my 21 Bayliner. The 6 speed manual I had to do some downshifting the auto had no issues in tow mode.

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I have pulled many boats with many vehicles, including a bass tracker behind a GTO with a 4spd. 5 minutes of smoking tires and clutch trying to pull a boat up an algae slicked ramp will quickly convince you of the benefits of a 4x4. The V6 will be fine when coupled to a 4x4 chassis. You can always use low gear. My current tow vehicle is a 4.3 V6 4x4 with an auto. Boat, trailer, and gear weigh in at 5100#. I could use more motor for long hauls as the V6 is held at WOT, however ramps are not an issue because of low 4x4 gears

oldjeep

Admiral
Have yet to ever wish I had 4wd or low range on a boat ramp, but we don't really visit scummy lakes so the ramps are clean. Definitely a ramp dependent issue.

WIMUSKY

Staff member

What dee said.......

smassey22180

Petty Officer 1st Class
As other have said, it really depends on the ramps. Here in CA, the water levels are so low that the ramps are bad. They are either covered with mud at the bottom or have a drop off where the ramp ends. When I fall off the end of the ramp, my current tow vehicle can barely get it up the lip. 2WD pickups have it rough here because their rear wheels are in the mud at the bottom of the ramp.

Dogdave

Seaman
If you are pulling you need to think about stopping! Buy a truck that will safely stop you and what you are towing/ hauling . My opinion after owning several trucks is you can't beat the factory exhaust brake on the Cummins

tpenfield

Staff member
Check the spec's on the towing ratings for the F150, but I think you will find the F150 to be far more capable than a 19 ft bowrider.

joetheis

Petty Officer 1st Class
Just my 2 cents.
I used a '95 3.0, 5 speed Ford ranger to pull my #2000 sailboat out of some steep ramps over the years.
If the ramp was steep, or look like it might be a hard yank, I'd use low range, just cuz it doesn't heat/beat my clutch. (never just used a parking brake with a manual trans. U Tube is FULL of guys who did! I leave it in first AND use a block on the front driver side wheel)!
Yeah, I didn't really need it, I coulda slipped my clutch to get going, but why?
Low range has the gearing AND the front wheels are pulling too.
My buddy uses a Subbie Outback to yank his 20' almn boat with a 90 HP Honda 4 smoke motor ALL the time (we think it goes for #2300 on trailer.
I'm going to use my CRV this summer to haul my #1800 fishing boat out.
the ramp isn't steep as ramps go, but a good 10-15 degrees.
Joe
Always remember to take any advice I give with a can of beer er 2!

KD4UPL

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I've been pulling boats up ramps for about 12 years now and I've always had 4x4 vehicles to do it. However, I can't recall one single time that I ever needed or used 4x4.
Just about any engine in any vehicle will pull your boat if the gearing is low enough. The problem with your proposed vehicle is that many 2wd trucks have rather high axle gearing. Further, pulling a load up a ramp is always going to be harder with a manual transmission. I could see the 4x4, particularly the low range, helping make it easier with a manual. I would say that the combination of a manual, 2wd, and likely high gearing will make for some very challenging driving on the ramps. I'd want a 4x4 if I had a manual I think. Unless the axle gears and/or 1st gear were really low.

Bigreddon

Petty Officer 2nd Class
That's plenty of truck to pull that boat and trailer. I had a jeep 4.0 and pulled a 2200 pound trailer in 2wd. Automatics make apply torque better. Having a heavy boat on the back of your 2wd will give you enough traction on a decent ramp.

vans

Petty Officer 3rd Class
20 plus years ago Ford made a 300- 6 engine, I had three trucks back to back that all had this engine, all two wheel drive, pulled my 19' Celebrity bowrider just fine, Yes-I had to be careful with ramps, although I never once got stuck, I also remember having to give her hell on some long grades on highway. Great Engine back then.

Now I own another 6 cylinder- Ford's Ecoboost engine, pull a 22' Cobalt with no problems, I think Ford did a nice job with this engine.

bigdee

Commander
20 plus years ago Ford made a 300- 6 engine, I think Ford did a nice job with this engine.

Sorry for getting off subject a bit....The Ford I-6 240 & 300 were some of the best engines ever built. They were great for towing and out-torqued many V8s. The jeep 4.0 was another great "torque-house". Both engines are vey noisy and scare alot of people into trading them early but they will easily last 300k. True they may have to downshift to 3500rpm to make a steep grade at legal speed, but so what.

Maclin

Admiral
I may have missed it on this thread, but I did not see any mention of the differential axle ratio. That is a major factor in towing. Braking is very important as well of course. A tow package usually covers both points. The 4x4 is also good on some ramps. My current tow vehicle is 4x4 and on most ramps I have not ever needed it. There is one close by now though, a private Marina ramp, that is way steeper than most and transitions from concrete to sand/gravel right at the top so I always use it there. Have seen bigger trucks than mine slide down until they are off the gravel, scary to watch. I always use wheel chocks there as well. On that ramp I feel like I am trying to drag a whale up the ramp instead of the 22 foot Cuddy I/O on a dual axle trailer. Regarding the axle ratio, mine has a 3.92 and it is rated to tow nearly as much as the next engine up in size if the bigger engine only has the 3.55 ratio.

Last edited: