Jacking up the trailer

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I have a very personal and wish-I-could-forget event that did happen to me many many years ago. My dad was changing my brother's shocks on his 1957 Ford. And all that was holding it up was a simple bumper jack. I'm sure the old members on these forums can remember those type jacks. Well at that time I was probably only about 100 pounds soaking wet. He was under the car and needed me to let the jack down. However I didn't have the weight to even move the jack handle. So tying as best I could it wouldn't move. So I looked under the car and told my dad I couldn't move the jack handle and all of a sudden it fell. It crushed his chest and broke a few ribs and I was panicking and actually able to lifted the rear end of the car up enough to get him out and to the hospital. Amazing what adrenaline can do in situations like that. I couldn't move the bumper even a little after it was all over, but was able to lift the rear end of the car to get himself out... Since that time, I, and every person in my family, will not get even get close to anything on a jack stand without multiple jack stand(S) AND a quality pneumatic floor jack as well. I learned my lesson extremely well and the hard way... So please everybody be careful, folks do get hurt and killed all the time when jacking things up! :disturbed:

NYBo

Admiral
I also put a jack stand near the tongue, to help immobilize the trailer even more. Plus, I don't entirely trust the trailers built-in jack, at least not as much as a heavy steel jack stand with a wide base rather than a wheel.
Even better: Hook the trailer to the tow vehicle.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
You ever had anything with inner tubes? (like a bike) They are definitely not a solution to air leaking out over long periods of time.

Even bikes are moving away from using tubes... Tubeless mountain bike tires have lots of advantages and really none of the problems of a tube'd tire.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Even bikes are moving away from using tubes... Tubeless mountain bike tires have lots of advantages and really none of the problems of a tube'd tire.
Way off topic but I will comment:

I have been through tubeless tires on bikes...no thanks. Way more problem than they are worth. It's a fad that people are going away from. Only advantage is that you don't get pinch flats if you run lower pressures.

There are even tubeless road bike tires now.

Last edited:

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Even better: Hook the trailer to the tow vehicle.

That would be a good idea for short periods of time. I jack up my trailer all winter, though, which would make it tough to leave my truck hooked up...

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Both my trailers are sitting on 4 jack stands as we speak, all under the frame. You could go up to either and shake it as hard as you wanted and it will not be falling off.

Chad Flaugher

Petty Officer 1st Class
Okay.... Jack stands supporting axle> Yes! Anything else you do after that, sure can't hurt.

I've had bad experiences with tire shops as well. I can't see how your rims would have anything to do with your problem. Tires on boat trailers do not wear out because of tread life, they wear out due to age. Once tires have been exposed to the elements for several years, holding air can become less likely. ESPECIALLY if you let them go dead flat before re-filling!

Bondo makes a good point, have them sealed.

I know money is always part of the equation, but I think new tires would fix yer problem.

gm280: I had a '69 Ford Bronco come down on me and drag me down the driveway... almost to the curb. If it would have come off that curb, I'm pretty sure I'd be in a wheel chair right now. Good point, safety first!

NYBo

Admiral
That would be a good idea for short periods of time. I jack up my trailer all winter, though, which would make it tough to leave my truck hooked up...

Well, the discussion is about changing tires, not long-term storage. Wait, you don't have an extra tow vehicle hanging around??:faint2: