Does anyone know the bow eye to transom length of a 1987 Baha 280 Weekender

Hello all, I've purchased a project boat that sits in NJ on blocks to work with my dad as part of our bucket list (father and son project). I need to get the boat to VA where my dad lives. I need to get a trailer. I cant afford a new one. I found one but I do not have the length from the bow eye to the transom for the boat. According to the manufacturer the boat weighs about 7800lbs. Anyone know the dimensions or a site where I can find it. The company no longer exists.

Bondo

Staff member
Hello all, I've purchased a project boat that sits in NJ on blocks to work with my dad as part of our bucket list (father and son project). I need to get the boat to VA where my dad lives. I need to get a trailer. I cant afford a new one. I found one but I do not have the length from the bow eye to the transom for the boat. According to the manufacturer the boat weighs about 7800lbs. Anyone know the dimensions or a site where I can find it. The company no longer exists.

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,..... My guess is, the 280 in Baha 280 Weekender means it's a 28' hull,.....

That said, ya need a wagon for a 28' hull, that'll carry at least 4 tons,.... 5, or 6 ton would be better,...

Ya ain't gotta match it to an Exact dimention, that's done after the boat, 'n wagon are married,... ;)

Yep that is correct. According to the specs I could find the overall length is 28'. The issue for me is that most trailers that accommodate a 28' boat are way out of my price range. Unless you know where I can find one for about $1K. I truly appreciate any info. The trailer I found accommodates a 26' boat. I know I don't need the whole length of the boat. The measurement I need is from the bow eye to transom. I am hoping that the bow eye is at least 2' from the actual bow of the boat. I know the boat comes with a bow pulpit and I am not sure if the measurement is off of that. If it is then I am golden.

alldodge

Staff member
Yep that is correct. According to the specs I could find the overall length is 28'. The issue for me is that most trailers that accommodate a 28' boat are way out of my price range. Unless you know where I can find one for about $1K. I truly appreciate any info. The trailer I found accommodates a 26' boat. I know I don't need the whole length of the boat. The measurement I need is from the bow eye to transom. I am hoping that the bow eye is at least 2' from the actual bow of the boat. I know the boat comes with a bow pulpit and I am not sure if the measurement is off of that. If it is then I am golden.

:welcome: to iboats

Looking for a trailer to carry that heavy of a boat for 1K, anything is possible. If the trailer your looking at can handle up to a 26 foot boat, then a 28 will most likely not fit. That said the weight capacity is more important then the length. From the ones I can find it doesn't have a bow eye, and if it does it's less then a foot from the bow. I'll also say that it appears to have at least a foot sticking out as the pulput
280 weekender.jpg

280 weekender 2.jpg

Thank you for all the insight. I have a picture that has the bow eye and it looks about 1' shy of the actual bow and it also has a pulpit as well that sticks out another foot. The weight is what bothers me. I have not heard back from the seller of the trailer. I know I can move the axel if necessary and lengthen the back roller bars to compensate the added length. IMAG0318 (800x452).jpg

Plan B is rent a trailer that can handle it. Finding a boat trailer rental in or near Richmond, VA is impossible. I am going to start looking at the VA Beach area. Any suggestions on that?

alldodge

Staff member
No help where to rent a boat trailer, but the weight is probably less then my cruiser, and it weights in at 10K dry and around 11.5K loaded up. Your going to need at least a 8K trailer (3-axles) 10K would be best

TexMonty

Seaman
What about those people I see on e-bay/boat trader etc. that offer to transport your boat? Maybe they can provide a trailer too? Don't get me wrong I have no experience in this area but I have had cars shipped to me off and on and it is someone pulling a single car trailer - not one of those huge things with 10 cars. Just a thought.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
well I hate to be a naysayer BUT my first thought is this MAY... repeat... MAY be too much boat for you... with a $1000 budget for the trailer I wonder if you have considered the cost of operation?

Don't get me wrong I DID just what you are doing but it was FAR from easy tho it IS possible... you can read my monte carlo thread to check it out....

The boat will weigh a lot more than manufacturer's spec weight... fact.... the trailer length from end to end needs to be 10% or more longer than the overall length of the boat... figure a 35' trailer with 2 5-6k axles or 3 3.5k axles... You MIGHT fudge the length down to 30' or so IF you are towing with a pickup so the pulpit can go over the bed... The weight however isn't up for debate... you need to carry the full actual weight of the boat PLUS the weight of the trailer. ALSO if you plan to trailer the boat regularly you need to account for all gear, fuel, and water on board when headed to the ramp.

My 28'er is 33' overall including the pulpit and swim platform... my trailer is 35' and the most I could stand to lose would be about 2' tho that would be VERY inconvenient.

Figure a MINIMUM of $100 in gas every time you take it out if you do VERY little running and a LOT of floating at anchor... To run my 28'er for 15 minutes, drop anchor for the day and run 15 min back takes over 20-30 gallons of gas depending on how fast I run. If you like to run several hours a day you could double your trailer budget in 1-3 weekends.

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... Yer budget is Unrealistic,.....

Well I got some good news. I found the right trailer. It is in great condition and rated to carry over 10,000 lbs. It is a 2011 ERB trailer tandem axle. Yes, you were right a bit unrealistic but I was able to search and find one for $2400. I am quite happy with it. Now comes the task of driving from Tampa, FL to Richmond, VA and pick up my dad to go get our boat in Pine Hill, NJ and bring it back to VA to restore as a "father and son" bucket list project. So, in many words thanks guys for bringing me back to reality. Now comes the over haul.

No Title

Once again thanks for all the advise. I am ready for some more wisdom. My next challenge is to load the boat on to the trailer (which is a tandem axle bunk style trailer) from the blocks. The boat is sitting on what I assume soggy ground in NJ. It has been snowing for the past few months and just started to thaw. Yes, it has to be done this weekend. I have to get it out of his yard and this is the deadline. I do not have any heavy lifting equipment. I do have a heavy duty bottle jack and will have some more blocks to shore it up as I go and pass the cross members. Any advise or tricks of the trade is greatly appreciated. Here is a pic if you need to see the environment.

Attachments

• photo216587.jpg
    photo216587.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo216916.jpg
    photo216916.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 0