IS this acceptable???

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
"Looking right" can mean a lot when it comes to balance.
Bruce? I think already mentioned the front of the boat could be heavy but to me it just doesn't look right.

Weight is the only thing that matters when it comes to balance, just look around the world of architecture, what appears to be far out balance is actually in perfect tune.

LastDollar

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Even with 60% of the total weight on the hitch that setup is bound to sway when towing. Most of the mass is centered over the axles. If you can move it forward it would help.

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Even with 10% of the total weight on the hitch that setup is bound to sway when towing. Most of the mass is centered over the axles. If you can move it forward it would help.
If it has 10% tongue weight, by definition the center of mass is not over the axles. It will not sway with 10% tongue weight.

Last edited:

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Even with 10% of the total weight on the hitch that setup is bound to sway when towing. Most of the mass is centered over the axles. If you can move it forward it would help.

Please explain why.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
NO WAY NO HOW..... that trailer is absolutely NOT acceptable for that boat

measure it, debate it, rationalize it all you want but in the end that trailer is 8 feet too short for that boat

Again, please explain why, and go into detail.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
A: I have been around a LOT of boats and I would bet my 30'er against a rowboat that I could lift the tongue on that one with one hand... unless he has 1000 lbs of ballast in the front of the cuddy that thing is WAY light up front... IE based on the info (the pic) available that thing does NOT have 10, 7, or likely even 3% tongue weight

B: there is WAY too much overhang in the rear... for the size of boat there is just no excuse for the axles being that far forward.

C: the transom (especially with that huge bracket) needs to be supported... those flimsy wood bunks ABSOLUTELY will NOT support the transom.

as for the 10% no sway, explain stuff...... 100% tongue weight MEANS that ALL the weight is on top of the ball.... 50% means the center of mass is EXACTLY centered between the axle(s) and the ball and 0% means ALL of the weight is centered over the axle(s)... ANY number between 0 and 100% ABSOLUTELY means the center of mass is in front of the axle(s) and behind the ball..... 10% tongue weight (again this one does NOT have it) will not sway no matter how much overhang.

Last edited:

Illinoid

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The further the motor is in back of the axle the more it will move up and down when you hit a bump. I don't want to put any more stress on the most expensive part of my boat than I have to.

LastDollar

Petty Officer 2nd Class
"smokeonthewater" Sorry meant 60% of the total weight. ""ondarvr" Static building's and moving mass are 2 different things.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
A: I have been around a LOT of boats and I would bet my 30'er against a rowboat that I could lift the tongue on that one with one hand... unless he has 1000 lbs of ballast in the front of the cuddy that thing is WAY light up front... IE based on the info (the pic) available that thing does NOT have 10, 7, or likely even 3% tongue weight

B: there is WAY too much overhang in the rear... for the size of boat there is just no excuse for the axles being that far forward.

C: the transom (especially with that huge bracket) needs to be supported... those flimsy wood bunks ABSOLUTELY will NOT support the transom.

as for the 10% no sway, explain stuff...... 100% tongue weight MEANS that ALL the weight is on top of the ball.... 50% means the center of mass is EXACTLY centered between the axle(s) and the ball and 0% means ALL of the weight is centered over the axle(s)... ANY number between 0 and 100% ABSOLUTELY means the center of mass is in front of the axle(s) and behind the ball..... 10% tongue weight (again this one does NOT have it) will not sway no matter how much overhang.

A. We know nothing about the balance, only that it looks odd, if it's 10% up front, then it's 10%, if it's not, then it's not, but from a pic there's no way to know.

B. Again, we know nothing about the actual location of the center of balance, could be right, could be wrong. The bunks could be much stronger than they look, could be aluminum with a normal bunk over them, again, no way to tell from the pic.

C. Same as above.

You are speculating on unknowns.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
The further the motor is in back of the axle the more it will move up and down when you hit a bump. I don't want to put any more stress on the most expensive part of my boat than I have to.

Again, if the boat is balanced on the trailer correctly (and we have no idea if it is or isn't) then the axles will be in the exact same location no matter how long the trailer frame is.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
You asked for an explanation.... I VERY CLEARLY STATED that my observation was based on my experience AND the only data available...... Boats of a certain shape HAVE a certain weight distribution BECAUSE IF they don't they will perform very badly.... YOU may not be able to tell anything from the pic but as I stated I can be sure enough to make a large wager with terrible odds.... how much are YOU willing to bet on your theory?

Your A:, B:, and C: all say the same thing YOU don't know......

could, could, could, .... heck the whole boat COULD be made of styrofoam and painted nicely and the motor COULD be photoshopped and the trailer COULD have all sorts of features we can't see BUT the best answer BASED on the pic is that it's WRONG

Last edited:

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
You asked for an explanation.... I VERY CLEARLY STATED that my observation was based on my experience AND the only data available...... Boats of a certain shape HAVE a certain weight distribution BECAUSE IF they don't they will perform very badly.... YOU may not be able to tell anything from the pic but as I stated I can be sure enough to make a large wager with terrible odds.... how much are YOU willing to bet on your theory?

Your A:, B:, and C: all say the same thing YOU don't know......

You have no idea either, you are assuming things by how it looks, not facts. I'm saying you don't know if it's wrong until the actual tongue weight is measured.
It can easily be right by design if the balance is correct.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
You guys are all, with the exception of smoke, arguing about tongue weight, center of mass, looks, and axle placement.

Ignoring all that, the fact is that the bunks are too flimsy to support that overhang and that weight. Most certainly, after a period of time they will bend, pushing up the hull in front of the transom, and put a significant permanent hook in the hull. As stated above, the trailer is simply too small for that boat.

I speak from experience as having modified a too small trailer with overhanging bunks very similar to the ones shown in the photo, I put a very nice hook into the bottom of a 15 foot runabout.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
So a quick search online show's this to be normal for these boats, I found several just like it.

Last edited:

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
good grief... no I am not "assuming" I am estimating,,,,, I happen to be very good at that and do so with sometimes hundreds of thousands of lbs on a daily basis....I am giving the best answer I can based on the info available.... Of course I don't have absolute data on weights BUT I am a long ways from "no idea"

To observe something that looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck and proclaim "I see a duck" is NOT assuming..... Honestly to look at a picture of something that looks like a duck one could have a pretty good idea that it's probably a duck.

You have your belief which to the best I can figure is that you have no idea if it's ok or not...

EDIT: you posted while I was typing... multiple pics MIGHT prove it's common but they DON'T prove it's right... MAYBE a major dealer set up a bunch of them wrong... either way MY ADVICE to anyone would be to better support their boat on a longer trailer.

I just did my own quick google search and this is honestly the first thing I found:
http://www.thehulltruth.com/trucks-trailers/278844-need-help-trailer-choice-parker-2520-a.html

PB120093.jpg

PB120101.jpg

Now we have both "proven" our points......

I have my belief which is I VERY strongly believe that trailer is WAY wrong for the boat....

You don't have to agree with me on this one and I am not gonna agree with you on this one....

sooo agree to disagree

Ok now that we have that settled, let's stop arguing and go back to answering other people's questions.

Last edited:

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Loading pics was slow, I had more. It appears this setup works well for Parker, so I'm not going to argue with them.

You only got me by a few hundred posts, by the end of this thread I should be the same rank as you.