IS this acceptable???

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
2cnyu1e.jpg

there are bunks that extend out past the last part of the trailer frame under the boat all the way to the transom....so in essence...the hull is fully supported. but is this an acceptable way to set up a trailer? looks like he was trying to keep the boat centered over the wheels and his trailer was too short...so they blted on some super long bunks.

bob

alldodge

Staff member
Does look to short a trailer, even if the tongue is moved forward it will still be short. Might have trouble pulling it because not having sufficient tongue weight

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
My trailer frame extends back further than that one so maybe it is as designed.

Is this something you are buying?

Rentaltux

Seaman
That doesn't look right to me? It looks like the trailer is to short. I agree on the insufficient tongue weight.

R

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Not sure how you can tell it doesn't have enough tongue weight. There is a lot of structure near the bow of that boat.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I looked over the picture for a while. It seems like the boat/motor is at the center of balance point for the setup. That means tongue weight has to be compromised and not a mere 10%'ished of the totally weight or there about of the trailering setup. Even if you could slide the boat forward, I don't see how the motor would be supported properly. With what I see in the picture, I'd move the boat way forward IF I could install a lot longer tongue section on the setup first. Then the motor would be in line with the end of the trailer and have the proper support with a quality motor toter or transom saver or whatever you want to call it... I can only imagine what that existing setup does to the motor when driving over a simple ditch area in any road or any transition of an incline. Seems the motor IS going to take a beating for sure... JMHO!

alldodge

Staff member
Said in might have trouble pulling due to this, don't know for sure. These are not the kind of boats I would buy so don't pay much attention to how trailers are made for them. Just my opinion

gm280

Supreme Mariner
There are a lot of trailers designed this way with bunks that extend back like this. If it has the proper tongue weight, it is fine.
http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/2000-Wellcraft-270-boat_103401997/showimage.html

As far as the outboard taking a beating, that wouldn't matter what length trailer was under it.

It is not so much the length of the trailer as it is the distance from the wheels to the OB motor. If the OB was closer in to the end of the metal of the trailer, steeper angles could work without smacking the OB into the road. The further out from the wheels the more pronounced the OB will see the road at even slight inclines... It is pure math!

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Simply put, NO, it is not acceptable! Not even close. You can talk about tongue weight and trailer handling but in the end, with the engine so far back there is a load on the transom that will eventually bent those bunks leading to a hook in the bottom. In order for that to be even close to acceptable, the bunks would need to be steel or 2 X 10 or 2 X 12

Tyme2fish

Commander
Then the motor would be in line with the end of the trailer and have the proper support with a quality motor toter or transom saver or whatever you want to call it... ... JMHO!

The correct term is " motor de-flopperiser".

Fed

Commander
It would look just right without the pod, is that a standard fitting or something someone added to try & 'improve' the boat?
Maybe it started life as a sterndrive?
Great looking boat BTW aside from the pod.

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
It would look just right without the pod, is that a standard fitting or something someone added to try & 'improve' the boat?
Maybe it started life as a sterndrive?
Great looking boat BTW aside from the pod.

It's factory on a lot of Parkers. It gives you a full transom, improved ride, and is positive flotation I believe.

alldodge

Staff member
Ya think it could be moved forward, there would still be a space of a bit of overhang :D
doable.png

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
"Looking right" means nothing, you would need to know the exact design of the trailer, the bunks could easily be designed to hold the load making extending the actual trailer frame unnecessary. And if the balance is correct then the outboard would be in the exact same place in relation to the axles whether the aluminum frame continued further back or not. With even stronger bunks the trailer frame would only need to go back as far as the axles.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
"Looking right" means nothing, you would need to know the exact design of the trailer, the bunks could easily be designed to hold the load making extending the actual trailer frame unnecessary. And if the balance is correct then the outboard would be in the exact same place in relation to the axles whether the aluminum frame continued further back or not. With even stronger bunks the trailer frame would only need to go back as far as the axles.

+++1

Fed

Commander
"Looking right" can mean a lot when it comes to balance.
Bruce? I think already mentioned the front of the boat could be heavy but to me it just doesn't look right.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
NO WAY NO HOW..... that trailer is absolutely NOT acceptable for that boat

measure it, debate it, rationalize it all you want but in the end that trailer is 8 feet too short for that boat