SC New Trailering bill introduced

tuna921

Cadet
Here is the bill, EDIT. It was filed today !!

http://www.scstatehouse.gov/sess121_.../bills/494.htm

A BILL AMENDING SECTION 56-5-4030 OF THE 1976 CODE, RELATING TO WIDTH OF VEHICLES, BY ADDING A SUBSECTION TO OMIT BOATS AND BOAT TRAILERS WITH A WIDTH OF LESS THAN 120 INCHES AND USED NONCOMMERCIALLY FROM PERMITTING REQUIREMENTS AND TO SPECIFY CERTAIN TIMES OF DAY WHEN BOATS OR BOAT TRAILERS OF CERTAIN WIDTHS MAY BE TOWED AND TO REQUIRE THE USE OF CERTAIN VISIBILITY MEASURES FOR BOATS AND BOAT TRAILERS.

Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the State of South Carolina:

SECTION 1. Section 56-5-4030 of the 1976 Code is amended by adding:

"(D) Boats and boat trailers with an outside width of less than 120 inches in noncommercial use may be towed without a permit. A boat or boat trailer 102 inches to 114 inches in width may be towed at any time. A boat or boat trailer 114 inches to 120 inches in width may be towed from sunrise to sunset. A boat or boat trailer in excess of 102 inches in width but less than 120 inches in width must be equipped with at least two operable, amber lamps on the widest point of the boat and the boat trailer so the boat and boat trailer's dimensions are clearly marked and visible."

SECTION 2. This act takes effect upon approval by the Governor.

EDIT

Last edited by a moderator:

Thalasso

Commander
Most states already have that. Red flags or lights at widest point.

tuna921

Cadet
I don't see the issue.

You now need a permit if you tow a boat wider than 8'6 beam. The law also states that you cannot tow nights or weekends with an over sized load. This Bill would require no permit up to a 10' width.

Last edited:

NYBo

Admiral
Welcome to iboats!:welcome:

You now need a permit if you tow a boat wider than 8'6 beam. The law also states that you cannot tow nights or weekends with an over sized load. This Bill would require no permit up to a 10' width.

So I take it you are in favor of the bill. You should probably have made that clear!

ihearth2o

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You need to read the bill again...

alldodge

Staff member
Very similar laws in KY. Your required to have a permit for anything over 8' 6", but cops leave you alone so long as your under 10'. When I fist got my cruiser (9' 6") I paid for a permit to haul it. After the second year had a discussion with vehicle enforcement and he said I would be fine without one

tuna921

Cadet
Welcome to iboats!:welcome:

So I take it you are in favor of the bill. You should probably have made that clear!

Yes, I am in favor of the Bill, boat owners are towing daily without the proper permits and at some point it can become a liability issue.You can also be fined up to $500.00 .The current law makes any boat and trailer over 8'6' including guide poles, in need of a permit, The new wording above is the new wording not the old.

They can make you leave your boat where you are pulled over until you get the proper permits. Depending on the width you may need flags,a wide load sign and not being able to tow at night, weekends and holidays.

Sure most don't follow the law in towing a boat, I would prefer too.

It is a no brainer if you live in South Carolina to call Columbia and voice your support.

tuna921

Cadet
Very similar laws in KY. Your required to have a permit for anything over 8' 6", but cops leave you alone so long as your under 10'. When I fist got my cruiser (9' 6") I paid for a permit to haul it. After the second year had a discussion with vehicle enforcement and he said I would be fine without one

I agree unless you get in an accident or are pulled over by the State DOT officer. Most local LE don't know the laws and someone telling you it is ok won't work. I tow over and I rather be compliant with the law, That is why I support this bill.

Fun Times

Staff member
Hi there tuna921, Welcome to iboats and thanks for the informable post..:)

Just as an FYI for you!
Typically iboats does not permit or endorse political conversations of any sort....But since this conversation is technically speaking "boating" related, we'd be willing to keep this particular topic open only if it can stay on track as an informational learning curve that could eventually change the towing laws in South Carolina. We feel this information looks to be important enough for all iboats members to know should they live in or ever tow a boat or trailer through South Carolina.

As far as politics goes here on this forum, please hold back from asking members to call or vote....They'll be able to figure that out on their own should they live or tow a boat or trailer through South Carolina often.;) Thanks in advance for understanding and good luck.:)

iboats mod team

tuna921

Cadet
Hi there tuna921, Welcome to iboats and thanks for the informable post..:)

Just as an FYI for you!
Typically iboats does not permit or endorse political conversations of any sort....But since this conversation is technically speaking "boating" related, we'd be willing to keep this particular topic open only if it can stay on track as an informational learning curve that could eventually change the towing laws in South Carolina. We feel this information looks to be important enough for all iboats members to know should they live in or ever tow a boat or trailer through South Carolina.

As far as politics goes here on this forum, please hold back from asking members to call or vote....They'll be able to figure that out on their own should they live or tow a boat or trailer through South Carolina often.;) Thanks in advance for understanding and good luck.:)

iboats mod team

Thanks !!

tuna921

Cadet
Just an update......This Bill has been fast tracked and will have an open hearing in Columbia next Thursday at 9am. The SC truckers association is opposing the Bill. If anyone can attend and let your views be heard would be great.

hungupthespikes

Master Chief Petty Officer
"A boat or boat trailer 114 inches to 120 inches in width may be towed from sunrise to sunset. A boat or boat trailer in excess of 102 inches in width but less than 120 inches in width must be equipped with at least two operable, amber lamps on the widest point of the boat and the boat trailer so the boat and boat trailer's dimensions are clearly marked and visible."

So you have to have lights to run in the daylight.....:confused:......on the boat and the trailer......:lol:......8 lights total.....(at least 2 at the widest POINT not points of boat and trailer)
Makes perfect sense.
:faint2:

huts