Surge Brakes, Am I correct?

rhino_160

Seaman
Hey all,
I am traveling 6 hours to pickup my new-to-me boat Friday and want to make sure I have the understanding of the braking system as my last boat trailer had no brakes. I am picking up a 2007 Tahoe 222 boat with matching trailer. All I know is the factory trailer has brakes and they work well. From everything I have read it is equipped with Surge Brakes, correct?? Well, prior to reading up, I installed a brake box in the Navigator and it seems I did not need that after all? I have a 7 pin connector for towing and the trailer has a 5-flat connector. I bought a 7-pin to 5-flat connector for the adaptor. Do I need anything else? Do I need the brake box after all or does this trailer apply the brakes on its on being that is supposedly has surge brakes? And I am just assuming it has surge brakes and not some other type, its whatever the 2007 Trailers had on them. Any help is appreciated.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
So you have no idea if they are hydraulic or electric? Hydraulic brakes have the master cylinder installed on the trailer tongue and therefore nothing else is needed. But electric brakes will need some sort of system installed on the tow vehicle. If you can find out what it has, then you can be prepared for them. JMHO!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I would ask the seller. The trailer could have electric brakes which needs a controller on the truck and the 7 wire connector. If the trailer has hydraulic brakes, it may use a 5 wire connector, 4 wires for lighting and the 5th wire for the reverse lock-out so you can back the rig uphill.

Again, the seller should know.

oldjeep

Admiral
Tahoe trailer stock brakes will be surge. If it has a 5 pin connector then there is no way it has electric brakes.

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
As gm said hydraulic breaks require no special connection other than connect it to your ball, as also mentioned those need a 5 pin connector for reverse lock out.. with that said,, before you leave make sure they work.. jack up one side of the rig, get the wheel off the ground enough to free spin, most of the units/master cylinders on the tongue have a slot on top of the unit you can stick a flat screw driver into and pump the master cylinder to actuate the breaks, ie- pump the fluid to make sure your breaks are working, do that on each side.... or if you don't want to do that, take a short spin after you hook up, break, break, break,, stop and feel the rotor with your finger.. (quickly) just tap it,, they get hot obviously.. if they are not hot, they are not working.. take your pick,, if they are not hot, the lines need to be bled, or there's a leak.. good luck

Last edited:

agallant80

Commander
I am going to be 99.99% sure it will have surge breaks. Electric are more expensive and Tahoe is a "value" boat brand. Plus I look at them all of the time when I am at bass pro and I have never seen one sitting on a trailer with electric breaks. You will need a 7 to 5 pin adapter for that. If I were you I would get an adapter that has both 7 to 5 and 7 to 4 on it. As for the break controller you will only need that if the boat has electronic breaks which is not common on boat trailers. You will mostly see the need for a break controller and electric breaks on RV trailers.

Blind Date

Chief Petty Officer
Good point old jeep, 5 pin connector on trailer = surge brakes.

Just bring your 7 to 5 pin adapter for the truck side rhino and your good to go. As already stated the the 7 pin connector and controller are used for trailers with electric brakes. After renting a pull behind RV w/electric brakes one weekend I liked them so much that I converted the tandem under my 25' SeaRay from surge to electric. Some of the best money I've ever spent on that boat.

Last edited:

rhino_160

Seaman
Ok, confirmation it has surge brakes. So guess I now have a brake box if ever I need one lol. I will bring my 7pin- 5 flat adaptor. Thanks for all the replies

UncleWillie

Captain
... with that said,, before you leave make sure they work.. jack up one side of the rig, get the wheel off the ground enough to free spin, most of the units/master cylinders on the tongue have a slot on top of the unit you can stick a flat screw driver into and pump the master cylinder to actuate the breaks, ie- pump the fluid to make sure your breaks are working, do that on each side.... or if you don't want to do that, take a short spin after you hook up, break, break, break,, stop and feel the rotor with your finger.. (quickly) just tap it,, they get hot obviously.. if they are not hot, they are not working.. take your pick,, if they are not hot, the lines need to be bled, or there's a leak.. good luck

A very easy way to confirm that surge breaks are working is to unplug the trailer connector.
That will disable the backup lockout.
Try to backup briskly; the trailer brakes should activate and prevent you from backing up.
Alternately, try to backup over a flat piece of 2x4, you should NOT be able to get over the board if they are working properly.

Surge brakes activate when the trailer coupler pushes against the ball while braking, or the ball pushes against the coupler while backing up. They release while pulling the trailer forward or the trailer tries to pull the truck backwards down the ramp.
Push, Activate! Pull, Release!
The 5th pin powers a solenoid in the trailer to disable the brakes while in reverse.
You can also plug the trailer into a 4 pin connector. The coupler will have a manual way to disable the brakes to allow backing up.
Be sure to re-enable the brakes before towing or you will not have any brakes while on the road.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Keep in mind that there are 2 kinds of surge brakes; disc brakes use the 5-flat and drum brakes use the 4-flat.

Illinoid

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Why would drum brakes use a different plug than disc brakes???

tpenfield

Staff member
Drum brakes are usually free backing which then does not need the reverse lockout, which is the 5th pin

rhino_160

Seaman
Has the disk brakes. Pulled it 400 miles home and they worked just fine. Thanks all

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Good deal, rhino. So no probs dragging to her new home?

rhino_160

Seaman
No problems. Finally got it all detailed today, ready for a good test drive of sorts this weekend

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Bravo, glad to hear you were able to drive her home without any issues. I know you were concerned so it is good news all went well...