Thoughts on these "Pullers".........

joetheis

Petty Officer 1st Class
Once upon a time, oh, 2 weeks ago, I sold my 20' Silver Line Cuddy.
She went @ #4500 on trailer.
I dragged her to N.Y. and back with a '93 Dodge Dakota.
Did it well.
Climbed under the Dakota last week to service the trans........
SHEET!!!!!!!
It's suffering from "Pa. Disease"
They pre treat the roads @ here with brine, and it eats frames away.
Mine doesn't have holes, (yet),but you can tell it's not long for this earth.
Well, I don't need a V-8 anymore anyway.
I downsized my boating to a 19' Grumman SF with a 70 Evinrude hanging off the back, goes for @ #1700 if that with trailer.
I was looking at a pair of 2002, 2 wheel drive Ranger 3.0 one auto, one stick.
Also a '98 GMC Sonoma V-6 4X4 auto
and last, a Chevy Trail Brazer in line 6 .
Does anyone tow with them?
How do they like them??
Thanks,
Joe

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
I've owned and towed with the gm v6 4.3, it pulls well, but really could use a bit of weight to hold the truck to the road.
Same with the Ranger, but it also needed a bit more hp.
Currently have a '98 Explorer with the HO 4L, pulls well heavy on the road, but rides like an old truck. Not very reliable anymore, so it is no longer my tow vehicle.

Current tow vehicle is a Trailblazer with the 4200 I6 290 hp, It pulls very well, rides like a car. It has a larger footprint on the road, weighs more, but feels good on the road.

Boat is about 2100#.

joetheis

Petty Officer 1st Class
Tanks!
I WAS going to stop to look at a Trail Blazer today, but snow, sleet, and general crap has that on hold!
I've had a few Rangers, 2.5, 3.0 and the 4.0, all good runners.
Pulled a #2000 sailboat/ trailer with a Ranger 2.5, 2 wheel drive auto, and it did well, (well it got me from point "A" to "B")!
My son had a mid 90's S-10 with a 4 banger in it (hated the dash). I think all we did was head gasket(s) to that, door hinge.
Problem is..
I haul my boat 230 miles in April. It's parked at my trailer all season. Drives 1 block to water, dumps it in, pulls it out...........
Oct comes, it drives the 230 miles home.........
Was kicking @ with getting a jeep, and rent a U Haul to get it there.
I'm gonna try to use a CRV to put the boat in/out this year, as it's a waste of truck to be parked there (and a pain).
Joe

joetheis

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well, a few weeks later and I pulled the trigger and bought a new hauler.
I HAD figured I get 1 more season outta my Dodge Dakota and get a new one next year.
But, a look at the frame or LACK of frame now under my Dodge made my mind up for me.
I picked up a 2003 Chevy Trailblazer, in line 6, 108,000 miles.
This is the LTZ package, you name the option, it's in it.
I'm not a "bells and whistles kinda guy, but the price was right, they gave me a good price on my Dodge, (I MAY have forgotten to mention the frame issue)!!!
Should haul my #1700 boat n trailer nicely AND this old guy will be comfortable!
Joe
If it's not boat it's trucks, something is always draining my check book!