small boat trailer question

G

Hi all, purchased a small trailer from Nothern. I am using it for an inflatable and have couple questons. My boat hangs about 4" off the end of the bunk. I am afraid to hang outobard without transom support. Should i run some kid of wood plank to support transom or buy longer wood bunks overall?

Attachments

• image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    89.7 KB · Views: 0
  • image2.JPG
    image2.JPG
    90.8 KB · Views: 0
Well, it does not look like the support is under the transom, so I would say yes I would build some sort of support to bring it at least under the transom maybe an inch or two sticking out if it was me. If it were me I would take the boat off the trailer and take the carpet covered wood off the trailer go buy longer wood and re carpet.

Last edited:

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
extending the bunks OR replacing them w longer would both be poor fixes... the trailer is not long enough for the boat... the transom needs to be over the last cross member... since it is such a light boat tho I would strongly consider extending the tongue and moving it forward on the trailer so the transom is supported.

If you DO choose to just use longer bunks either use 4x's instead of 2x's OR brace the last few feet with aluminum angle.... BUT still not the right way to do it.

G

extending the bunks OR replacing them w longer would both be poor fixes... the trailer is not long enough for the boat... the transom needs to be over the last cross member... since it is such a light boat tho I would strongly consider extending the tongue and moving it forward on the trailer so the transom is supported.

If you DO choose to just use longer bunks either use 4x's instead of 2x's OR brace the last few feet with aluminum angle.... BUT still not the right way to do it.

Never thought about extending th tongue, great idea.

G

That is exactly what i was going to do. The bunnks are currently 6ft long. I figured 7ft should do the trick. What would i need to treat the wood with. Also wht kind of carpeting am i looking for "all weather"?

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
I think you may have misunderstood me... I said that would be a POOR fix as the transom needs to be over the last cross member.... that said, you don't treat the wood with anything, you replace it every 3-10 years as it rots. carpeting is standard indoor/outdoor carpeting BUT for the ease of it I buy rolls of "bunk carpeting" already cut to width so I simply cut to length and attach with stainless staples or roofing nails.

Really tho, you need to focus on the front of the trailer instead.. a light boat hanging off the back is not good.... the bunks WILL sag and tongue weight will likely be lower than it should.