upgrading/resizing a boat trailor

snipem

Recruit
Hi im new to Iboats and new to the boating scene and i have acquired a 14 foot fiberglass classic runabout bbut have realized that it is too small for what i want to do so im looking in to getting a bigger boat preferably a newer 6 seater open or closed bow boat between 16-19' long but my problem is i have access to a 19 foot boat for free but cant afford a different trailor so im wondering if i can resize my trailor and get a bigger axle for my trailor. my current boat doesnt hang over the back of the trailor i have and it is an older style tilt trailor. any help would be highly appreciated.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Usually not possible. It's not just the length that changes, the beam (width) increases too... It's more than likely that the trailer for a 14' boat is also made from lighter gauge material, too light for a 19' to sit on....

Chris......

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Craigslist is your friend... SELL what you have and shop your hiney off... 2-3 times a day till you find the trailer (possibly with a junk boat) for a great price.. you have a decent boat and a good trailer.... that's money in the bank... sell n buy and you might just end up with a truly free boat.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I actually did modify my boat trailer some what (you can click on the trailer link in my post). But what I did, I did to make a standard trailer into a more solid drive on type trailer for the same boat. I had to buy additional quality metal for the new parts and weld them on and finish everything to fit my boat. Anything IS possible, but your time, cost and such should guide you to what you can do. Looking for a longer heftier trailer is probable the better route unless you enjoy welding your own trailer together... JMHO!

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
You CAN do anything you want if you are willing to spend enough time and throw cubic money at it. BUT: You might as well build another trailer from scratch when trying to upgrade fro one designed for a 14 footer to 19 foot. The best advice was already given: sell what you have and buy another.

pckeen

Commander
14' Trailer will be way too short, but there may well be someone out there with a larger trailer, looking for a smaller - put it on Craigslist as a trade or sale, and use the cash to buy another one. While you are at it, look at old fiberglass junkers - they often seem to come on repairable trailers.....