Trouble backing empty trailer at ramp

bryanzzz

Seaman
Guys/gals, added fiberglass driveway markers to my trailer, makes backing empty trailers a little easier. Can't see my trailer when backing in to load. Mounted one on each side behind fender, reflective tape on ends.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
You are certainly not alone with such a situation. If you can't see what you're backing, you can't back it up properly. If I can see my trailer, I can back it into any place. But not being able to see the trailer and I will either jackknife the trailer (not really but close) or work at it for a long time... If the flags and markers allows you to see the trailer, then go for it... :thumb:

ssobol

Chief Petty Officer
I find it much easier to back the empty trailer. No boat to obscure the view, no expensive engine at the point, lots less weight, and less important damage if I hit something (to my stuff anyway). Much less stressful all the way around IMO.

mla2ofus

Chief Petty Officer
I added the fiberglas stakes left from having my place surveyed and added a tennis ball on the end of them. Have them run thru a tube w/ a setscrew so I can extend them out to load or when pulling the boat and trl behind our RV.
Mike

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Backing an empty trailer is hard for me when the tonneau is on the truck; without the tonneau, I just drop the tailgate like WIMUSKY says.

I have a real hard time using only my mirrors. I keep trying, thinking I'll get the hang of it, but to no avail.

My kids gave me a set of trailer alignment aids; there are two of them and each of them looks like a tennis ball on a telescoping rod, with a magnetic base. Right before retrieving the boat, I stick one one each trailer fender and voila, no more trouble seeing where the empty trailer is.

I hope one day I get the hang of backing up using only my mirrors, but until then, this method takes a lot of stress out of backing an empty trailer into the water.

Tnstratofam

Commander
I learned how to back up only using my mirrors. My dad insisted. Now when I can't see the trailer in them I am like a complete amateur at backing up. Makes for a pretty funny site at the ramp.

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander
If I can't see my trailer in my mirrors it means it is going strait back,............

I drive tractor trailer for a living so I get a little practice,....lol,...

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Hardest trailer ever to back up is a single empty jetski trailer! Doesn't show up in the mirrors until it is about 30 degrees out of line, and because of the extremely short tongue, there is no hope of recovering it at that point. The only positive is that it is light enough you can go pick the back of the trailer up if need be!

oldjeep

Admiral
Hardest trailer ever to back up is a single empty jetski trailer! Doesn't show up in the mirrors until it is about 30 degrees out of line, and because of the extremely short tongue, there is no hope of recovering it at that point. The only positive is that it is light enough you can go pick the back of the trailer up if need be!

Yup. That is the only trailer I have issues with. I usually use my dads Lexus to pull his jetski at the end of the season since it has a backup camera. The other boat trailers are all long enough to see in all 3 mirrors.

jkust

Rear Admiral
I open the hatch of my SUV when backing the boat but when backing up my snowmobile trailer when empty due to how it responds to the slightest movement of the wheel is a pain.

dwco5051

Commander

The oldest son hauled his jet ski one summer when the only vehicle he had with a hitch was a T-Tag dump. Talk about frustration.

blackhawk180

Petty Officer 1st Class
No question, a longer trailer is easier to see and control. For some reason, I prefer a single axle over a double as they seem more responsive? Might just be me.
My biggest issue was launching (backing) up at unlit ramps/darkness. After posing the question/problem here, I got lots of great ideas and ended up using a separate 4 pin connector wired to several bright LED "backup" lights. Now, it's a piece of cake to launch in the dark so thanks to all who contributed ideas!
My empty drift boat trailer must be close to a jet ski for length/width and I agree.......it's a SOB to back up with mirrors. Can't see the darn thing unless I weave back and forth which makes it appear I've been drinking and we all know that fishermen never drink.

dwco5051

Commander
My empty drift boat trailer must be close to a jet ski for length/width and I agree.......it's a SOB to back up with mirrors. Can't see the darn thing unless I weave back and forth which makes it appear I've been drinking and we all know that fishermen never drink.

I have an 8 foot piece of 1 x 3 with flagging tape stapled to both ends that I use to back up my log splitter. I center it across the splitter and hold it in place with the ram. I also have a 12' tinny that I take out now and then which I can't see at all in my mirrors and was annoying to back up. After about a year my aged mind put two and two together and now I toss it in the boat and when I get to the ramp I clamp it to the stern with a cheap rachet squeeze clamp and throw it into the cargo compartment on my pickup. When time to load I just clamp it onto the empty trailer. Problem solved.

I used to fly a Starduster biplane which was a tail dragger. The only way to taxi it was to weave from side to side since you had no visibility from the back seat.

Last edited:

jayhanig

Master Chief Petty Officer
I've got those PVC guides for my boat to help me. They're lit on the tops which I can see at night. Mine are much higher than the gunwale of my boat so I can still see them when the trailer disappears down the ramp.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
I hated using mirrors for backing a trailer until I bought my cargo trailer. Just like over the semi drivers, you cannot see looking over your shoulder since the big box back there blocks your view so I had to use the mirrors. It doesn't take long to realize backing is absolutely the same using mirrors as looking over your shoulder. Steer right to make the trailer go left and vice versa. The problem a lot of folks have when backing a trailer is that they tend to either wait too long to correct or they feel they immediately need to start sawing at the wheel the minute they begin to back up. I can pull up just past my driveway, back into the driveway and into my garage (tall door) without stopping or pulling forward half a dozen times. You can also try backing to the left (drivers side) rather than blind backing (passenger side) until you get the hang of it. I do agree that a small and very short trailer is harder to back than a bigger/longer unit and it stands to reason due to the "physics" involved..

oldjeep

Admiral
I hated using mirrors for backing a trailer until I bought my cargo trailer. Just like over the semi drivers, you cannot see looking over your shoulder since the big box back there blocks your view so I had to use the mirrors. It doesn't take long to realize backing is absolutely the same using mirrors as looking over your shoulder. Steer right to make the trailer go left and vice versa. The problem a lot of folks have when backing a trailer is that they tend to either wait too long to correct or they feel they immediately need to start sawing at the wheel the minute they begin to back up. I can pull up just past my driveway, back into the driveway and into my garage (tall door) without stopping or pulling forward half a dozen times. You can also try backing to the left (drivers side) rather than blind backing (passenger side) until you get the hang of it. I do agree that a small and very short trailer is harder to back than a bigger/longer unit and it stands to reason due to the "physics" involved..

Yup. Once you learn to use your mirrors you'll never go back to turning your body backwards and missing 1/2 of what is going on around you.