Question on Bunk Modifications

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant
Going to add Glide Sticks to my bunks and have a couple of questions (I'll be pulling the bunks to add the sticks).

First, see photo(s). The bunks are canted in slightly towards the center of the trailer, to clear the stiffening ridges. As a result, the hull bears on the outside edges of each bunk (and has for 30+ years, btw). I could (while the bunks are off) rip a 3 degree "wedge" from the top of each bunk and have the hull sit flat (or, a little flatter) on the tops of the bunks. The "wedge" would take the outside edge down about 1/16".

Is this a significant issue with the glide sticks? Or am I over thinking this?

Bunk Mod1 jan15.JPG Bunk Mod2 jan15.JPG

Second question. Bunks are currently carpeted w/carpet in good condition. Remove carpet before adding Glide Sticks? Or, apply on top of carpet?

Bondo

Staff member
Going to add Glide Sticks to my bunks and have a couple of questions (I'll be pulling the bunks to add the sticks).

First, see photo(s). The bunks are canted in slightly towards the center of the trailer, to clear the stiffening ridges. As a result, the hull bears on the outside edges of each bunk (and has for 30+ years, btw). I could (while the bunks are off) rip a 3 degree "wedge" from the top of each bunk and have the hull sit flat (or, a little flatter) on the tops of the bunks. The "wedge" would take the outside edge down about 1/16".

Is this a significant issue with the glide sticks? Or am I over thinking this?

Second question. Bunks are currently carpeted w/carpet in good condition. Remove carpet before adding Glide Sticks? Or, apply on top of carpet?

Ayuh,.... I think both yer questions can be answered with,....

Whatever trips yer trigger,.... I don't think it matters one iota,...

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
With 30 years of success, don't mess with it.

Next time you launch the boat, work on the trailer in the parking lot and put the slicks on using the self-tapping screws and a cordless drill. It'll take you 10 minutes. Don't take the bunks off. The bolts are probably rusted shut after all these years and you'll end up having trouble. Not just getting it apart, but realigning it later. Put the slicks right on top of the carpet.

I've put 3 sets on now and its a piece of cake. If you MUST take the bunks off for some reason, forget the slicks and replace them with roller bunks. The slicks are slick, but rollers are better.

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant
No problem getting them off. SS bolts with the threads coated with NAPA Aviation Gasket Sealer during assembly. Never had a problem.

I need to do some work on the hull next to and under the bunks (politice corrosion I think it's called) so it's more convenient to prop the boat up and remove the bunks and do the work in my side yard.