Rusty Leaf Springs! Are replacements universal?

mlevee87

Cadet
I recently bought an 18ft VIP bay boat. I have a basic galvanized trailer all though after inspecting the leaf springs, I noticed that they are severely rusted. I can do the job myself but when it comes to buying new leaf springs, the most common I've seen are 25 1/4" inch from eye to eye with a 1750lbs capacity per spring for a total 3500lbs capacity. Are boat trailer leaf springs pretty universal in size? Also what is the standard size bolts that are used for installing the leaf spring? Mine are so rusted that I was able to peal off chunks of rust from them. Everything has to be replace, I'm scared to trailer the boat with the image of the springs coming apart and causing an accident on the road. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Bondo

Staff member
I recently bought an 18ft VIP bay boat. I have a basic galvanized trailer all though after inspecting the leaf springs, I noticed that they are severely rusted. I can do the job myself but when it comes to buying new leaf springs, the most common I've seen are 25 1/4" inch from eye to eye with a 1750lbs capacity per spring for a total 3500lbs capacity. Are boat trailer leaf springs pretty universal in size? Also what is the standard size bolts that are used for installing the leaf spring? Mine are so rusted that I was able to peal off chunks of rust from them. Everything has to be replace, I'm scared to trailer the boat with the image of the springs coming apart and causing an accident on the road. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,.... There's Nothin' universal 'bout trailer springs,...

You've gotta replace what's there, with exactly what's there,.....

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Unless your springs are seriously rusted with deep pits and such, you could take them apart and sand-blast them and paint and reassembly them again. I did that to my trailer when refurbishing it. And it came out really nice and solid too... Many more years of life in them! JMHO!

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant
Pull one set, take them to a good trailer supply place, give them the load info and they will fix you up with everything you need.

mlevee87

Cadet
Thanks guys. Yeah they're rusted pretty bad along with the bolts holding them on. I just have this image of hitting a pot hole or something and having a spring let loose and causing an accident. A lot of springs ive been looking at say 25 1/4in from eye to eye. Cant I also jack the trailer up to take the load off and then measure to determine the size?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Thanks guys. Yeah they're rusted pretty bad along with the bolts holding them on. I just have this image of hitting a pot hole or something and having a spring let loose and causing an accident. A lot of springs ive been looking at say 25 1/4in from eye to eye. Cant I also jack the trailer up to take the load off and then measure to determine the size?

Seems you can easily remove one side and carry it to a trailer business like stated above then. I mean if you are planning to remove and replace them anyways, now is as good a time then ever...

Quick3201

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I replaced my springs (went to higher capacity) and the axle at the sane time. Ordered from "Trailer parts and Supplies". My galvanized trailer is 20 years old, salt water, looks new but springs and axle were rusted badly. Had an experience many years ago at the boat ramp. Pulled boat out and axle broke right at the hub. Outside looked fine, rusted from the inside out. Had to make an old fashion "drag" out of a 2X6 and rope to get it back to the house. about 1/2 mile from the ramp. If it had broken on the road I would have been screwed. Way before "roadside assistance".

mlevee87

Cadet
I would simply remove a spring and take it into a trailer supply, but I have to literally cut the bolts with a cutting wheel to get the spring out. Then I have an immobilized boat trailer in my drive way and if I cant get parts that day I run the risk of having that pesky annoying un constitutional home owner association giving me crap or fining me for have what they call an "eye sore" in the neighborhood. (I plan on moving because of this soon as my lease is up :D never again will I deal with a HOA!)

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I would simply remove a spring and take it into a trailer supply, but I have to literally cut the bolts with a cutting wheel to get the spring out. Then I have an immobilized boat trailer in my drive way and if I cant get parts that day I run the risk of having that pesky annoying un constitutional home owner association giving me crap or fining me for have what they call an "eye sore" in the neighborhood. (I plan on moving because of this soon as my lease is up :D never again will I deal with a HOA!)

Not a huge problem even if you have to cut the spring attachment bolt(s) to remove the spring. Because once you cut the bolt out, any other bolt will slip in to hold things together for a short little move around. If the original spring bolts are that bad, you will have to cut them and replace them anyways. So go for it! You can take the cut portions to the store to buy new ones too... I don't see any problem myself! JMHO!

jayhanig

Master Chief Petty Officer

I can't say that I blame you. HOA councils are just a bunch of frustrated goose steppers anyhow.

joetheis

Petty Officer 1st Class
Save yourself some $$
Take one side off the trailer. (here is a tip- if the through bolt is rusted in the spring bushing, I use a gear puller to "push" the bolt out. Keep spraying pent. oil on the bolt, spin it,and push. I've done a TON of Ford Ranger shackle mounts and that's how I get the bolts out).
Take the set up to a spring shop.
Tell them the load and they can build you a set.
If the MAIN leaf is good, you can get leaves? at the bone yard or from the spring shop.
If you go to a trailer shop, I can get they will be MUCH more!
Buy new "U" clamps when you get it, don't use the old ones. Makes the job much easier!
Let us know how you made out.
Joe
Remember to always take my advice with a can of beer er 2!

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
I just replaced the aging and sagging leafs on my Ez-Loader. It's very simple and pretty cheap too. Ordered mine from Pacific Trailers, there a are a few different types, sounds like your springs are double eye so replace with like springs, the same leaf count, load rating and dimensions. The website shows how to measure your existing springs. One more thing you could need to are the hinge bolts that go through the eyes if yours are rusted out that is. If the bolts through the eyes are stuck you can try this, I used some PB Blaster and my rattle gun which busted the rust loose and made it super easy to drive them out. The next issue could be the U bolts holding the leaf to the axle, sometimes the thread ends get all mauled up from rock and stuff when launching and you may have to replace some of them too.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I don't know if you know or not, but Tractor Supply and Northern Tools sell trailer springs and most anything you could need for your trailer as well if there is one in your area. And once you have your spring removed, you can easily take it to either place and buy new sets pretty cheaply too. What you are talking about actually doing isn't that unusual to do. Many others have done that easily. So many options available to bring that trailer back to new. You can check out my project trailer to see how that is accomplished if you like. That trailer project is listed in my post...click on it and see before and after results!

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... Do yer wagon springs have Eyes on both ends,..??

Many are Eye, 'n Slipper,....
Some are Slipper/ Slipper,....

Quick3201 brings up a Great point,....
Now is the perfect time to be inspectin' the Axles for rust, 'n rot,.....

I imagine yer a brine boater if yer springs are rotten,.... Axles ain't immune to it,...

mlevee87

Cadet
Well I got the job done a couple months ago. Man what a pain in the ass that was! Cut everything off by hand with a cutting wheel and was able to bolt all new hardware into place. Came out great! It would have been an easy job if it wasn't for all that damn rust... My godddd!!!! But its all done now and trailer trails beautifully on the highway. Thanks for all the help!

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
I feel your pain i did mine this winter and yeah lots of rust and several cutting wheels and an on site welder..... but i feel much better pulling it down the road.

batman99

Petty Officer 1st Class
Just re-read entire thread and noticed the job was previously completed. My bad!

If replacing leaf spring packs is a DIY "hassle", then perhaps one can contract the work out? re: Simply call a few automotive, trailer and/or welding shops in your area and ask if they replace trailer leaf spring packs. Then, get a free estimate. During the replacement task, one can upgrade to "next size up" leaf spring packs. And if desired, one can also upgrade to a leaf pack over axle setup. Thus, getting trailer/boat higher off the ground. If wondering, I did this leaf spring pack "above" axle change and it was a great upgrade - for my setup.

Pictures at:
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w...s/100_2450.jpg
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w...s/IMG_0012.jpg

If wondering, I got leaf spring packs replaced on my old Tow Vehicle. Dropped vehicle off Monday AM and pickup up Monday PM. All done and they hassled with its rust, grinding and dirt in their eyes. LOL

Hope this helps as well...

Last edited: