Problematic launching?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Welcome aboard.

you will need a bigger vehicle. as you have not yet added in the weight of the trailer, gear, and stuff you are loading in the car.

with the boat at 900, assume 1000 for a trailer, 200 for gear and 200 for misc you are looking at a tow rating of 2500+

Chad Flaugher

Petty Officer 1st Class
Your trailer probably weighs around 500lbs as well. (Just a guess) You'll have some gear and other additions to the total as well. It's not launching that scares me, it's getting yer rig stopped in an emergency situation on the roads! I'd say probably not the best choice for a tow vehicle. Then again, maybe your a quarter mile from your favorite lake, with minimal traffic...:noidea: Might just wanna see how it feels in that case.:heh:

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
I too do not think it a good idea. Not only from a hazard standpoint on the road but it will also add a great amount of stress to the car and drivetrain.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,... I agree with the above,...

Too much boat, 'n not enough tow unit,...

JaCrispy

Petty Officer 1st Class
What about a different hitch? I just looked up a few that had 200/tongue 2000/tow. That would prob work for you.

southkogs

Staff member
I dunno' about where you are, but here in my area, as steep our ramps are ... your boat would likely tow your car in, as opposed to your car towing your boat out.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I'll put my $0.02 cents in as well. NO! :nono: You would be right on the hairy edge of capabilities for the car in a perfect world. And if anything, and I mean anything were to jeopardies the edgy setup, you're in deep do do... :nono: The problem isn't always can you pull something, but can you stop something in the even of an emergency... So many vehicles these days don't have framed chassis anymore. Not even the huge looking selections of SUVs that once did have frames under them. And that makes pulling and stopping things very questionable... I know because I've been looking for something to one day replace my frame built Blazer... (the S10 size) JMHO!

NYBo

Admiral
Welcome to iboats!:welcome:

As others have written, you would be way beyond the safe limits of your car.

What about a different hitch? I just looked up a few that had 200/tongue 2000/tow. That would prob work for you.
It would only mean that the hitch might remain intact while the brakes/transaxle/engine fried or some other disaster occurred. The limit is still 1000# for the car, regardless of what hitch is installed. But yours is a common misconception.

Last edited:

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
with the boat at 900, assume 1000 for a trailer, 200 for gear and 200 for misc you are looking at a tow rating of 2500+

If you have a 1000# trailer for a 900# sail boat, you are doing something wrong! The single axle trailer for my v6 powered 18' deck boat doesn't weigh 1000#! Just checked on ezloaders site, a 17' trailer rated at 1300# is 300# ready to go...

In any case, it is still too much for the car, need either a slightly more capable car or something rated at 2000# at least. If you want a smaller car with more towing capacity, check out some older subaru's.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

I hope you are not serious.

A heavier hitch does not change the engine, transmission, brakes, weight, or handling characteristics of the tow vehicle.

JaCrispy

Petty Officer 1st Class
I hope you are not serious.

A heavier hitch does not change the engine, transmission, brakes, weight, or handling characteristics of the tow vehicle.

Wow, relax people! I thought his limits was from the hitch not the vehicle. lol