Fulton 1600 trailer jack rusted inoperable

Dave Dup

Cadet
I just took my one year old Fulton 1600 trailer jack apart because it wouldn't crank up or down. I found the threaded crank screw stuck and rusted solid in the collar which it is held to move the wheel section up and down. I bought this jack because the single wheel jack (cheaper model) did the same thing and I just threw it away. The Fulton 1600 is an all aluminum body jack except the crank screw which rusted in the aluminum collar. Anyone else had issues with Fulton jacks rusting up when they get wet?

Attachments

• photo215150.jpg
    photo215150.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 0

FishnMike

Seaman Apprentice
I've had everyone I have ever owned rust. Now when I get one, I turn it upside down and pour some 140W grease down the hole that is under the wheel. I then run it up and down several times to coat the threaded rod and then mount the thing on my trailer. You will get some leakage of grease onto the ground but it sure keeps my jack working well.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Never had a fulton jack seize up, and I've had plenty, some for over 15 years.
Should be able to break her apart though, penetrating oil, heat, and a hammer.

Grease is your friend.

Have you been dunking it in saltwater?

Dave Dup

Cadet
Thanks for the prompt replies. It took a few shots with the smoke-wrench before it finally broke free. Once I get all the dried up old grease and rust off the screw rod I'll be greasing it up with the high-end red grease. The upper bushings and washers were also rusted and deteriorated. I ordered the repair kits to replace those which also include the gears and pins in the top housing. The jack had about eight salt water and probably a dozen fresh water launches within two boating summers.
It's apparent that the internal parts are not compatible with salt water exposure. That said, I like the jack. When it's working it's like no other. From now on I'll be tearing it down every season just to be sure.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Glad to hear you got it apart. If you clean it all up and remove all the rust and crusted over grease and then use a very liberal amount of grease all over the internal working, you shouldn't need to disassembly it yearly. They really are not that complicated inside and a good coat of grease all over the gears and screw shaft should be all it will need for years to come...