Galvanized all-thread to make axle u-bolts?

So I bought an axle and the u-bolts that came with it were an inch too short. I've been looking around and I can't find anyone that stocks it in the size I need and custom ones might be too expensive. Can I bend u-bolts out of galvanized 3/8" all-thread or do I need a different material. By the way the size I'm looking for is 3/8"(thick) x 5" (long) x 1 3/4" (axle diameter). Thanks in advance.

robert graham

Admiral
I believe that bending threaded stock a sharp 90 degrees can fatigue the bolt at the threads and it also cracks the zinc/galvanized plating....so if these are for saltwater use consider these items....Maybe a plate/bracket with straight bolts through it with nuts and washers?....you can fabricate your plates, cut, drill....ready to go!....

gm280

Supreme Mariner
There is a few option you can do. And I have to say there are many places you can buy most any size "U" bolts from on the net. You can bend your own, or even take a flat piece of thick metal bend it in the middle and drill holes through to accept straight bolts and put another metal piece on top to bolt down with. You could even take straight rod and bend and cut to the proper length and thread just the portions you need.

Thalasso

Commander
If you have a spring repair shop near you the will make your u-bolts. Usually a truck maintenance shop for sure

alldodge

Staff member
Don't make them with threaded rod or bend them for reasons previously mentioned. U=bolts are cheap enough even if their not galvanized, they will last a good while. If unable to find SS or Gal then just make sure to look at them every year more closely.

Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I would think that places like Rock Auto or Summit or any place like that would surely have long "U" bolts because of the axle blocks they sell to truckers to raise or lower their trucks. Maybe check them out...

All good suggestions. Thanks guys. I'll check summit or rock and maybe they'll have a bigger selection. If not I guess I'll have to have some made.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
why do you need such long ubolts? are you trying to use lift blocks or something like that?

definitely DON'T make your own but tell us what you're working with and maybe we can find a solution.

thumpar

Admiral
You might try NAPA. The ones we have around here have a truck and trailer section. They have everything from small trailers to semi truck/tailer parts.

airshot

Rear Admiral
As a machinist/tool maker for more than 40 years I would not recommend bending all thread rod as it will definitely be weak. Can you get away with it? mabey but why take that chance. They are easy to make if you can't find what you need. Use 3/8 or 1/2" rod that is not threaded and bend what you need using a torch to heat the bend area, then thread the ends with a threading die. Much stronger and safer as the all thread will fracture if you bend the thread. Threaded material should "never" be bent.

Thalasso

Commander
5" (long) x 1 3/4" in 3/8's is pretty small.
Looked on a lot of sites and none in the 1 3/4 in 3/8
In 1/2 you can find it

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Agreed that from my own experience the everyday box stores will not have large enough bolts. Do a search of your area for a trailer shop or farm supply. Last resort McMaster-Carr or Grainger, I say that because their shipping charges on small orders is quite high. I once needed 48" of continuous aluminum hinge and the shipping was more than the cost of the hinge.

I don't know why they're too short. Maybe my leaf spring stack is taller or something. It's an old school trailer. It originally had integral hubs on it so I had to switch it out because I couldn't find rims. I'll try grainger and mc master out. I've called a couple of trailer shops around my area and no one seems to have the size I need. By the way I actually need them to be 6" long.