boat and trailer dimensions for storage and towing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ch Cl

Recruit
I am having a difficult time researching the height/length/width dimensions of a 26' boat when sitting on a trailer (or any similar boat for that matter). We are thinking about moving up from a 21' open bow Chaparral to a 26' cuddy (likely Sea Ray 260 Sundancer, with arch), and I'd like to know the dimensions needed to fit this (or similar boat) into a garage for out of water storage. Any help (short of me taking a tape measure to a stranger's boat)??

Also, we currently use a Ford Expedition to tow the 210 Chaparral, and assume this will be plenty of vehicle to tow the 26'. Any feedback from experience??
Thanks!

alldodge

Staff member
I am having a difficult time researching the height/length/width dimensions of a 26' boat when sitting on a trailer (or any similar boat for that matter). We are thinking about moving up from a 21' open bow Chaparral to a 26' cuddy (likely Sea Ray 260 Sundancer, with arch), and I'd like to know the dimensions needed to fit this (or similar boat) into a garage for out of water storage. Any help (short of me taking a tape measure to a stranger's boat)??

Also, we currently use a Ford Expedition to tow the 210 Chaparral, and assume this will be plenty of vehicle to tow the 26'. Any feedback from experience??
Thanks!

:welcome: to iboats

You need to start with the manufactures specifications. Then look at "bridge clearance", this will tell you how high the top of the arch is to the water line. In the link below for the 27 foot Chaparral 270 it is 9' 1". Take 9'1" and add 2 to 2.5 feet depending on the trailer. So I would estimate the 270 would be 11.5 feet to top of arch. My 27 foot Formula sits 12' 6" on the trailer.

http://www.chaparralboats.com/Chapar...tion=tab_specs

Edit: to add the boats dry weight is 6900 pounds so you should not have an issue towing

Last edited:

thumpar

Admiral
The dimensions will depend a lot on the trailer. My boat sits low on the trailer so I am able to fit it in my 7' garage door but most boats my size would have a hard time. The tongue is removable on my trailer also. You will probably have to measure each boat you look at as it sits on the trailer.

Last edited:

UncleWillie

Captain
Allow an additional 3 ft of length to the actual boat length to allow for the outdrives and the trailer winch if the trailer tongue folds. Add another 3ft. for Non-Folding.
Keep in mind that a boat call a 26 footer could actually be +-2ft. depending on the manufacturer.
This may or may not include the swim platform or anchor/bow pulpit if installed.

This is just a reasonable guess. Be sure to measure it if your garage is not at least 35ft, back wall to door.

A 35ft long garage with a 12ft high door is one big garage. !!!
The good news is the 10ft width of a single garage door will likely not be any problem.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
In short, a boat of this size isn't going to fit in any normal "garage".... SOME "barns" will be big enough...

my 28' wellcraft is 33' long overall, and 11' wide, on the trailer, it's 36' long, and 12 1/2' tall.... It won't go in my 30x40 pole barn because it is too tall for the 10' door and rafters.... the same boat without a radar arch (would be 9 1/2' tall) would just fit in the pole barn but would eat up the lion's share of room.

Last edited:

grimms3

Recruit
just measured a 2011 sundancer yesterday with arch. on trailer it was 13 feet 1inch.

tpenfield

Staff member
IMG_0345.jpg

Here is my 26 foot cuddy going into my 26 foot deep garage with double wide door. It barely fit height-wise (8 feet high door) and came up about 8-10 feet too long.

The Sundancers are a bit taller than this boat, probably would nee a 10' x 10' opening and 35' depth. it would be more of a barn/industrial building than a garage.

Check the Expedition's manual/specs for tow rating, but it should be fine. I towed this boat (5000 lbs dry) with a V8 Explorer

Last edited:

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
The arch will kill the option for 99.5% of all home garages. My dry storage is only $700 per year.

Blind Date

Chief Petty Officer
My '97 250 Sundancer just fit under a 10' (height) door. So you'll need something at least 11' or better. Overall length from cavitation plate to trailer tongue was 34'. I built the garage 40' deep. Width wise you don't want any door narrower than 10' wide IMHO. My garage had one 8' wide door and one 16' wide door where the SeaRay was kept. Backing a snowmobile trailer or my smaller 18' boat in the 8' wide door was a PITA.

Last edited:

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
I tried to figure out what size shop I needed and just went big, it solved many issue, it was 42'X40' with a 16' ceiling, a 20' wide door on one end and 12' wide on the other end. This way anything I could haul to my house could be put in the shop.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Just thought I would chime in here as I see this similar topic with autos as well as boats. I live out in the country and most of us have a pole barn or plenty of room to add one if needed. As I look around at the autos and boats sitting outside because the barn/garage is full of junk, I have to wonder is buying a $30-40,000 truck or boat to sit outside cheaper than building another $10,000 or less pole barn to store the junk in? Down the road a bit a fellow bought a new 18' bowrider and leaves it set outside, uncovered with the exception of a cheap tarp which is usually torn off the boat rather than parking it inside his pole barn. That was three years ago and now the boat is pretty much trash, and he complains that the boat was built cheap and fell apart. ??? In the mean time his barn is half empty to give his kids someplace to play if it is raining outside. ??? Some people must have a lot more money to burn than I do. Just a thought here..............

airshot

Rear Admiral
Just thought I would chime in here as I see this similar topic with autos as well as boats. I live out in the country and most of us have a pole barn or plenty of room to add one if needed. As I look around at the autos and boats sitting outside because the barn/garage is full of junk, I have to wonder is buying a $30-40,000 truck or boat to sit outside cheaper than building another $10,000 or less pole barn to store the junk in? Down the road a bit a fellow bought a new 18' bowrider and leaves it set outside, uncovered with the exception of a cheap tarp which is usually torn off the boat rather than parking it inside his pole barn. That was three years ago and now the boat is pretty much trash, and he complains that the boat was built cheap and fell apart. ??? In the mean time his barn is half empty to give his kids someplace to play if it is raining outside. ??? Some people must have a lot more money to burn than I do. Just a thought here..............

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

I have a couple of very large outbuildings and I must admit, it's very easy to let them fill with poorly placed...well....junk, for lack of a better term. I do make sure all things of value stay inside though, a quick trip to the dump tends to clear up a good deal of floor space when needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.