Towing advice for small boat

G

Hi all, i have a small inflatable and was wondering what the cheapest and safest type of trailer to buy? I would like a trailer that i can hit the expressway for about 100 miles and still feel safe. Vehicle is a nissan rouge 4cyl. In florida

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Any trailer made for road use should work.
Yes, even a trailer with 8" wheels will run at highway speeds. Years ago, thats all we had.

Perhaps a utility trailer would be beneficial, a you could use the trailer for more than just hauling the boat.

If you are going to use the trailer to actually launch the boat, then you might want to stay with a watercraft trailer.
If you are putting the trailer in saltwater, then consider an aluminum trailer, or galvanized. But still plan on rinsing the entire rig with freshwater after each use.

Sometimes you can find a deal on a pwc trailer, that could be adapted to your inflatable.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
your in florida. hit craigslist for a used PWC trailer. they range from $100 for a galvanized one needing a bit of TLC to $500 for an aluminum trailer, to $1200 for new aluminum.

If it was me, I would toss the OB in the back of the rogue, and strap the SIB to the roof.

robert graham

Admiral
Northern Tool and Tractor Supply carry lots of nice little trailers, but best not to dunk them in salt water much.....

G

@Scott would love to, Boat is 150lb due to hard wood floor. I also plan to leave all the mods in it such as battery,fishfinder, cooler and seats.
@MH, I seen that one and is my #1 choice. Only issue I had was the 8" wheels, I heard 12-14 is better on the road. If 8" wheels will do the job then I will purchase :). Says material is steel will it handle salt water/brackish?
@Robert, Rosco, Thank you for your suggestions they were very helpful

JaCrispy

Petty Officer 1st Class
I would use a 12"+ rim on the highway. The bearings are dinky as it is.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
hogwash... 8" wheels are absolutely FINE on the highway.... I have towed many 1000+ mile trips at 75+ mph w 8" wheels.... a long as the tires are rated for hwy service IE not offroad only such as lawnmower tires and rated for the weight there is no reason whatsoever not to use them.

That said, you should pull your gear out of an inflatable for towing.... It isn't designed to carry weight out of the water.... battery, motor, n such ideally should be stowed in the tow vehicle or if you get a utility type trailer you can have a box mounted to stow them....

as for "handling" salt or brackish water.... no not forever.... salt WILL kill any steel trailer.... how well you rinse it will play a role in how long it takes..... don't back in any deeper than you have to....

jkust

Rear Admiral
I'd say to keep an eye on the speed rating of whatever tires you ultimately purchase with the trailer. Some ST/trailer tires are rated at only 65mph if you are a buy the book tow-er.

Quick Google search from Tire Rack. Special Trailer (ST) Tire Speed Ratings
Industry standards dictate tires with the ST designation are speed rated to 65 MPH (104 km/h) under normal inflation and load conditions.
However Goodyear Marathon and Power King Towmax STR tires featuring the ST size designation may be used at speeds between 66 and 75 mph (106 and 121 km/h) by increasing their cold inflation pressure by 10 psi (69 kPa) above the recommended pressure for the rated maximum load.
Do not exceed the wheel?s maximum rated pressure. If the maximum pressure for the wheel prohibits the increase of air pressure, then maximum speed must be restricted to 65 mph (104 km/h).
The cold inflation pressure must not exceed 10 psi (69 kPa) beyond the inflation specified for the maximum load of the tire.
Increasing the inflation pressure by 10 psi (69 kPa) does not provide any additional load carrying capacity.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Lots of guys (myself included) tow many, many miles each winter with multiple snowmobiles on 8" tires. (In my case, I am right at the 960# limit on each tire, total load is just a hair under 2000#.) They do fine, although I personally keep speed between 65-70 mph max.

jkust

Rear Admiral
As mentioned above, I like many have a snowmobile trailer with the 8"ers and it rides really nice fully loaded with sleds. Many times I use it to carry miscellaneous stuff (much lower weight stuff) up to the lake and then it isn't nearly as smooth. I also like the oil bath hubs on that trailer versus the grease hubs on my boat trailer. Maybe I'm not doing it correctly but I've never so much as touched the oil bath hubs and only check the level through the sight window vs the repacking and topping off of the grease hubs. Something to consider.

mr geets

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I had a 12 ft aluminum Harbercraft boat with 7.5 Merc and a REALLY cheezy trailer that came with it. I spent a thousand bucks on a 6 ft x 12 ft used flat deck utility trailer and tried it for the Harbercraft. Never looked back! Used the flat deck for a gazillion other uses to boot. (shingles, firewood, quad, garbage, siding, lumber, etc etc). My only caution is salt water - all mine was fresh water

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
as I said, get a used galvanized jet ski trailer for about $100-200 off of craigslist since you are in florida and many meatheads down here have left their jetskis sit outside and die in the sun.

http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/bod/4864749034.html
http://lakecity.craigslist.org/for/4865960604.html

or get a used aluminum one for a bit more

steel trailers in brackish water if you rinse every outing will last up to about 4-5 years. in salt, about 2-3 years. if you do not rinse it, the trailer will last about a year. the trailers rust from the inside out as I have found that even flooding the trailer tubes with water when you get home, they eventually rust thru as the metal on the interior of the trailer is not painted.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
I had 8 inches on my last boat trailer and put 20,000 miles on it, in fact i have just graduated to 10 inch on my poon toon trailer.