Adding Back Up Lights

samm835

Chief Petty Officer
I am looking for Ideas, I want to add bright (white) back up lights to my trailer. I have a 21 ft boat, and when I come home at times it is dark. My driveway is long and on a hill. I have backed it up for years, I can almost do it with eyes closed......but sometimes not so. OK, onto my questions. To be basic and SIMPLE (key word). I am not an electrical engineer, but I am pretty handy. So what is the best way and easiest to install a set of lights and wires on to the trailer. I only want them to be on when I get in drive....so maybe only on when i get out and turn on with flip of switch type deal.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
why not install a relay in the backup light circuit in the tow vehicle and have them on whenever you put it in reverse just like any back up light.... done deal

Bondo

Staff member
I am looking for Ideas, I want to add bright (white) back up lights to my trailer. I have a 21 ft boat, and when I come home at times it is dark. My driveway is long and on a hill. I have backed it up for years, I can almost do it with eyes closed......but sometimes not so. OK, onto my questions. To be basic and SIMPLE (key word). I am not an electrical engineer, but I am pretty handy. So what is the best way and easiest to install a set of lights and wires on to the trailer. I only want them to be on when I get in drive....so maybe only on when i get out and turn on with flip of switch type deal.
Thanks in advance.

Ayuh,... What sorta wirin' whip ya got 'tween the tow unit, 'n wagon,..??

A 4 pin flat will be tough, as ya don't have any extra pins,...

How 'bout addin' higher more powerful lights to the tow unit,..??
I've got a couple on my ladder rack on my truck,...

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Like Bondo stated, there is no way with a standard four pin flat plug setup. You'll have to either go with some other type plug setup, or run a single separate wire to turn those white backup light only when in reverse. If you go the extra wire setup, just tap into the reverse light on the tow vehicle and run that wire to the additional white lights you will need to install on the end of the trailer itself. The problem with installing some unstandardized plug setup is, you will loose the ability to pull that same trailer with any other tow vehicle then... JMHO!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
If you go with a 7 wire trailer connector, that has a backup line already in there. Or, if you only use them once and awhile and don't mind getting out of your vehicle, just wire them to your running light through a waterproof switch and just turn them on when backing into your driveway.

Weep'n Willy

Master Chief Petty Officer
I see where you are coming from wanting some backup lights. I like the idea of having a separate switch to activate. So really you could tap into the running lights on your trailer and mount a switch on the frame to activate the backups. Yep, would have to get out and manually turn them on.

Here on the Great Lakes we are usually on the water at 0 dark thirty and if you go to launch with your headlights on and blinding all the rest in line to launch you get a verbal scolding. Now I can only imagine what one would get if when he put her in reverse to back down the launch and the bright whites lit up......well not sure it would be pretty.

Illinoid

Petty Officer 2nd Class
If you use LED's the current draw will be very low and you won't overload whatever circuit you put it on. I would wire it to the backup lights. This can often be done with over the counter wiring harnesses that plug in to the vehicles wiring harness.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
You want "Simple" ?

Pick up 2 magnetic mount LED flashlights and slap them on the back of the trailer when you get to your driveway.
They are about $7 in the checkout lane at the hardware store, and a couple batteries should last you a year or 2.

24-3LED-Cordless-Magnetic-Work-Light-Hanging-Hook-Flashlight-Great-For-Outdoors-bas-Battery-Op...jpg

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
^^^^ cant say i've used those for backup - but I can say the magnet is strong and will stay there.

samm835

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks for the idea's, I can't remember now that I need to if I have the standard "4" plug. I have a double axle trailer with trailer brakes and I do know that when I put it in reverse it will lockout the brakes.....so I think I have an extra wire, or just not the standard plug. I won't use the lights going in the lake, only when I am putting the boat/trailer back in the garage at night. I don't mind getting out and flipping a switch because I get out already to put the top down, take out a couple of things anyway. I do like the idea of adding a magnetic flash light type deal just gotta find where to add to the aluminum trailer. Thanks for the ideas.....I will let you know what I end up going with this weekend.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Honestly there are so many doable ideas to set up your trailer with backup lights. Years ago, before they even thought about LED lights, I had a car I used for a little fishing boat. And I knew the 1157 bulbs were very hot when I was backing into the cooler water and that was the cause for those lights burning out quicker. So I took a 4PDT relay and wired it into the four pin flat trailer plug with a dash mounted switch (nicely blended in of course to look factory). Then when I was ready to back into the water, I'd flip that switch and all my trailer lights were off. It worked great and never had any burnt out 1157 tail light or 912 side light bulbs the entire time I owned that trailer... So put on your thinking cap and do something convenient and do the work properly way before you ever start to trailer to the lake. Convenience IS the key to fun outings...

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
You can stick the magnets right on the transom straps buckle.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
This just got REALLY REALLY easy... you are ALREADY wired for backup lights....

The wire that locks out reverse IS backup lights... If you have a 5 flat connector it's the last terminal opposite of the ground.

Simply tap into that wire (goes to a solenoid at the back of the brake master cylinder where the brake line attaches.... Route it to the back of the trailer and and hook up a couple of low amperage lights..... done deal.

At this point they will come on whenever you are in reverse.

samm835

Chief Petty Officer
No Title

Thanks Kevin, Here is what I am thinking: ($32.00 for two)
Kevin, Thanks. I think I am going to do that.....and use these lights. Thanks
  • LED Power: 27W - 2090 Lumens - 4" Round
  • Operating Voltage: 10-30V DC
  • Waterproof rate: IP 67
  • Material: Diecast aluminum housing
  • 30000 hours above life time - Size: 116mm*55mm*128mm

Attachments

• photo214435.jpg
    photo214435.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 0