5th wheel towing question

Natesms

Chief Petty Officer
I know this isn't boat related but I'm ignorant on 5th wheels and you guys know what you are talking about.

The parents just went and bought themselves a new fifth wheel camper. In the specs it says "[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]2,520 lbs hitch weight", which is 650 pounds more than their old one has as it's hitch weight. My question is, is hitch weight the max capacity or the kingpin weight with a dry trailer? [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]They have a 2013 F250 diesel and the trailer is well within the max towing capacity for the truck. I'm concerned because their old 5th wheel squatted the truck hard. I finally convinced them to put on airbags a month ago though.

Can you adjust 5th wheels to balance the weight the same way you move a boat back and forth on a trailer to get the correct
[/FONT]tongue [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]weight?[/FONT]

alldodge

Staff member
I know this isn't boat related but I'm ignorant on 5th wheels and you guys know what you are talking about.

The parents just went and bought themselves a new fifth wheel camper. In the specs it says "[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]2,520 lbs hitch weight", which is 650 pounds more than their old one has as it's hitch weight. My question is, is hitch weight the max capacity or the kingpin weight with a dry trailer? [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]They have a 2013 F250 diesel and the trailer is well within the max towing capacity for the truck. I'm concerned because their old 5th wheel squatted the truck hard. I finally convinced them to put on airbags a month ago though.

Can you adjust 5th wheels to balance the weight the same way you move a boat back and forth on a trailer to get the correct
[/FONT]tongue [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]weight?[/FONT]

The calculation comes from the truck, hitch and load. They have a 2013 F350 but it also depends on axle ratio, quad cab (and others), and capacities. The normal rating for 5th wheels is 15 to 25% of the load. Here is the specs for the 2013 Ford trucks. Provide some more info and we can assist more

http://www.ford.com/resources/ford/general/pdf/towingguides/13flrv&tt_superdtypu.pdf

Natesms

Chief Petty Officer
I've looked that over but was still confused. They have an F250, crew cab, diesel. I don't know which Axle ratio they have but under the 5th wheel section that didn't seem to matter with the diesel. It's an XLT trim, so it's not loaded down with a lot of fancy extras inside.

This is the camper they bought if that helps at all.

alldodge

Staff member
I've looked that over but was still confused. They have an F250, crew cab, diesel. I don't know which Axle ratio they have but under the 5th wheel section that didn't seem to matter with the diesel. It's an XLT trim, so it's not loaded down with a lot of fancy extras inside.

This is the camper they bought if that helps at all.

If it's a 2 wheel drive it can tow 16,300 - 5th wheel (2445 to 4075)
If it's a 4 wheel drive it can tow 15,900 - 5th wheel (2385 to 3975)

Note the supper cab can haul less and the regular cab can haul more. So 2520 from what you have posted is with in range of the load capacity of the truck. This isn't to say that the air bags would not be a good thing for load stabilization. Also the truck should have the package which includes a transmission cooler (guessing in has an automatic trans)

Do understand I'm just working off what you have provided and it is my opinion

Last edited:

Natesms

Chief Petty Officer
It is a 4x4 SRW, sorry I forgot that important detail. That makes me feel better it's in range. They have the tow package on the truck with the Transmission cooler and all that. They had every towing option available (at least that's what they said), brake controller, sway control etc.

Plus they already put the airbags on. They don't seem to fully understand the airbags thing, they only put them on because I told them to. Took me forever to convince them that they should be able drive at night with their headlights actually on the pavement. I'll be out of town when they pick it up and then head out on a 5K mile round trip the next day. Made them promise to have the dealer adjust the air pressure in the bags and write the PSI down.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
have them get an auto level system for the bags... It's a hands off no brainer type of deal... hook up to the camper and then watch the bags air up till level.... drop camper and watch em come back down.

as for your original question ... the pin weight you listed would be the empty weight... expect it to be quite a bit higher with the camper loaded down.

Natesms

Chief Petty Officer
as for your original question ... the pin weight you listed would be the empty weight... expect it to be quite a bit higher with the camper loaded down.

Thanks, this is what I was wondering. According to what AllDodge posted they could add 1,400 pounds in pin weight and still be within spec. That seems like a crazy amount to me, 3975lbs of pin weight.

They never travel to or out of a campground with full tanks and are good about minimizing the storage up front the best they can, however I think they'll be pushing it.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
fwiw my pin weight is @ 5k...... my gross with truck rv and jeep in tow is 30k..... cruise set speed, 78 :-D

Natesms

Chief Petty Officer
fwiw my pin weight is @ 5k...... my gross with truck rv and jeep in tow is 30k..... cruise set speed, 78 :-D

That's some serious weight. I'm betting you aren't a 65 year old 5' tall retired school teacher who is blind in her right eye driving that rig though!

It helps knowing that they have a newer truck that we just put all new brakes on, a brand new trailer with obviously all new tires and brakes. I think I worry mostly because they don't recognize when something is out of place (step father was introduced to camping 5 years ago and towing heavy loads 2 years ago).

Ex: Their first trip in their 5th wheel 2 years ago ended with the truck and trailer on the back of a semi 7 hours after they left because of a failed equalizer. They thought it "felt a little funny" but didn't worry about it till they saw smoke. They are learning though...

I've decided retirees are a lot like teenagers, about once a week you stop and say "You did what? Did you really think that was a good decision?" It's their time though so have all the fun they want. I'm just trying to keep them from ending upside down in a ditch and on fire!

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
Least there either having fun or trying real hard to have fun :D

Natesms

Chief Petty Officer
I cut my work trip short and came home early to see them off. Pulled up and immediately had to explain dual zone climate control and that's why the A/C and heat were running at the same time. :D

Anyway, ended up putting 70 PSI in the bags. I had to eyeball it, but they sent me a picture of their headlights on the pavement and said it rides great. The first 350 miles were uneventful, lets hope they can keep it up!

Villain lll

Cadet
Hopefully your parents are back safe and sound.
You sound like a very concerned son, trying to ensure they have taken all precautions.
Rest assured, that truck will pull that trailer, even close to max gvw without issue.
Their set up is good, now just have to train the operators and nothing better then practice.