Trailer tires, What the...

64osby

Admiral
I used the tires from my small boat on a donor boat retrieval. One of the tires blew out during the trip home. Ordered 3 tires, 2 for the donor trailer, the other to replace the blow out.

Today I was getting the donor trailer ready for resale and was flipping the tires around. I noticed something odd,

Both tires are 4.8 x 12, 6 ply and C rated 990 lbs. IMAG07601.jpg?t=1421444457.jpeg

The odd thing is the height of the tires.
IMAG07611.jpg

There is about 1 to 1 1/2" difference.

I wouldn't think there would be such a difference, 2 different brands.

Would it okay to run these as a pair on a 14' fishing boat (tinny), 10 hp, a few bells, no whistles?

Last edited:

pckeen

Commander
No. Don't know why those tires are different sizes, but different sizes, treads etc. on the same trailer spells trouble. They look like they are different widths too.

alldodge

Staff member
Would you take a closer look at the one in the rear of the first pic. The side reminds me of a radial tire. Wonder if the 4.80x12 on the said has something to do with "replaces" said size. Don't know for sure just taking a guess

64osby

Admiral
No. Don't know why those tires are different sizes, but different sizes, treads etc. on the same trailer spells trouble. They look like they are different widths too.

By the numbers and specs they are the same size tire. They sure don't look like it.

Would you take a closer look at the one in the rear of the first pic. The side reminds me of a radial tire. Wonder if the 4.80x12 on the said has something to do with "replaces" said size. Don't know for sure just taking a guess

It is a 4.8 x 12 - 6 ply C rated 990 lb tire. I have seen the 5.3 x 12 (as I recall) that replace the 4.8 x 12 tires.

oldjeep

Admiral
Not surprising, ever done the same thing with truck tires? Flotation sizes are the worst, I've seen 35x12.5x15 tires vary by more than 2" among brands.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I've always been told to never mix tires of the same size on any axle by different manufactures because of obvious different tread designs, but also different materials used by the different manufactures. The different materials don't have the same road wear, grip or stopping abilities and the spelled problems mostly when you need the best possible abilities to be equal on any axle... I find this post really interesting to see such a huge diameter different and still have the same size markings. However, the sizes given are the tire width and rim diameters and says nothing about actual tire diameter like other tires list... JMHO!

64osby

Admiral
The taller tire was bought new by someone that I picked up a donor boat from about 6 years ago. It still had the sticker on it.

I kept the trailer and put my 14' Lone Star on it. The tires might have about 300 miles on them at most. The local launch is 1 mile away and there are about 10 other lakes within 15 miles.

I will probably pick up a match to the new tire, with rim. Use the taller one as a spare since I don't have one.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Not at all uncommon. When I buy snowmobile trailer tires, I have to actually measure before I leave the store with them, as the larger versions of the [same size] tire will hit the trailer deck. They vary by well over an inch up to almost 2 inches. HUGE difference in size for what is the same tire.

Vintin

Petty Officer 1st Class
I wouldn't worry about the difference in height on a trailer that doesn't have brakes.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I wouldn't worry about the difference in height on a trailer that doesn't have brakes.

I would because even without brakes, there will always be a slight tendency for the trailer to pull to the smaller diameter tire side even just being pulled. If the trailer even came loose (theorizing here now) the trailer would turn to the smaller tire side for certain. It is just physics... Same thing happens when you drive with a underinflated tire on you car. The car pulls to the underinflated side without touching any brakes... JMHO!

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
BAH... I would be the first one to say stop if this were dangerous but here is absolutely NO WAY that slight mismatch would cause ANY sort of safety issue.... I once uses a 10" low pro spare to get a trailer home with a 14" regular tire on the other side... the ONLY way I could tell ANYTHING was because the boat was leaning toward the small tire.... a lot... I had about 200 miles of interstate along with some twisty hilly 55 mph roads.

If you are picking tires based on how your trailer will steer after it comes loose from the tow rig maybe you need to improve your hitch and safety chains.....

RUN IT..... I mean heck you aren't putting it behind a Ferrari and running the left lane of the Audubon

Even if it was a braking axle we are talking a MINISCULE difference here and trailer brakes aren't exactly highly precise.

Last thought if you are worried it will come off the tow rig and try to turn toward the small tire then put it on the right... best chance of landing in a cornfield instead of a minivan.

foodfisher

Captain
Just a thought. If it was dangerous to run different sized tires would they put those doughnuts in the trunk for a spare?

64osby

Admiral
BAH... I would be the first one to say stop if this were dangerous but here is absolutely NO WAY that slight mismatch would cause ANY sort of safety issue.... I once uses a 10" low pro spare to get a trailer home with a 14" regular tire on the other side... the ONLY way I could tell ANYTHING was because the boat was leaning toward the small tire.... a lot... I had about 200 miles of interstate along with some twisty hilly 55 mph roads.

If you are picking tires based on how your trailer will steer after it comes loose from the tow rig maybe you need to improve your hitch and safety chains.....

RUN IT..... I mean heck you aren't putting it behind a Ferrari and running the left lane of the Audubon

Even if it was a braking axle we are talking a MINISCULE difference here and trailer brakes aren't exactly highly precise.

Last thought if you are worried it will come off the tow rig and try to turn toward the small tire then put it on the right... best chance of landing in a cornfield instead of a minivan.

Or a BMW racing down I-75:D

It doesn't have brakes. It is used for the small ponds close by.

Just a thought. If it was dangerous to run different sized tires would they put those doughnuts in the trunk for a spare?

Good point, but as I recall they do state 45 mph max speed. Not that anyone pays attention to that.

More comments.:popcorn:

Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I'm certainly not going to debate what somebody does with their own trailer one way or the other. But come on, there is a huge difference with limping home after a flat tire and using a space-saver smaller one in it's place and purposely trailer on two different sizes until the next tire change. If there were no issues, then what does every tire manufacture tell you to never run two different size tires on the same axle? But it is your trailer and you can do however you please. It doesn't bother me one way or the other...really! I was only offering my .02 cents about what I thought was a safety issue...

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander
I think that on a car or truck you need the tires to be exactly the same because of the differential or because of steering, one goes faster when turning. But on a trailer it's not important enough to worry about. Just run 'em IMHO

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I will probably pick up a match to the new tire, with rim. Use the taller one as a spare since I don't have one.
That's what I would do. You know that the tire is at least 6 years old and a new tire and rim is less than $40.

64osby

Admiral
Bruce where do you get a $40 tire / rim?

$55 - $60 is what I see.