Is this safe?

kryan2

Petty Officer 2nd Class
1972 Pacemaker 26' on a "shop trailer." All 4 tires are 10" and need to be replaced. Best tire I found in 10" will hold 1600LBS at 90psi. I will replace all 4 tires and hubs (bearings incl.) prior to moving. 25 miles to home. Sit for 2 months then 25 miles to marina and in wet slip. Boat estimated weight is 5500lbs.

Attachments

• photo214137.jpg
    photo214137.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 0

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Lots of yard trailers have really old, really underrated tires under them. You will be fine, as long as you keep your speed LOW! 15-25 mph. And have a spare or two with.

*edit, re-read your numbers. You are just barely over. You will absolutely be fine.*

Last edited:

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
make sure the trailer breaks work........"assume they do" and get going down a hill......bad deal.. you could be looking for another boat..

kryan2

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Scraped the whole project....thanks to all that replied.

joetheis

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ahhh another case of "morning after regret"!
I've done that more than once. The voice in the back of your head was screaming, but you HAD to have that boat!!
I found out (on the internet-so it has to be true) all the good poop on trailer tires.
You take the weight of the boat and trailer, guess the weight of the "stuff" inside- fuel trolling motor, coolers etc..
Take the load rating of the tires
divide the total weight by the # of tires and Bob's your uncle-there you go! If it's under your tire rating off you go, if not, well...........................
Make sure any old tire is inflated right AND not dry rotten. (that's the case in most tires, lots of thread,but the cracks)!
When the tires are "iffy" I'll go some, check the heat of the tires, go some more. If they all the same temp coll, is the center is hot lower PSI, outside add PSI.
Joe
Always remember any advice I give should be taken with a can of beer er 2!