rollers vs bunks?

So what's the advantages and disadvantage between the two, I have two different trailers, one of course with rollers ( for the 21 Grady) and the other has bunks with a center roller ( for my 15 ft tri hull ) I was never a fan of bunks and thought about converting it to rollers cause I don't really see any thing great about bunks considering that front the looks of it the previous owner of my tri hull banged up the keel a little on the trailer possibly due to its design and then there's the obvious some people just don't know what there doing and possibly don't care lol, should I swap it over or could I just add a couple more bunks toward the front and support the bow a little better and help prevent the bottom from making contact. What are your guys thoughts?

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
buy a Dodge...

Seriously there are advantages to both, and disadvantages.

alldodge

Staff member
So what's the advantages and disadvantage between the two, I have two different trailers, one of course with rollers ( for the 21 Grady) and the other has bunks with a center roller ( for my 15 ft tri hull ) I was never a fan of bunks and thought about converting it to rollers cause I don't really see any thing great about bunks considering that front the looks of it the previous owner of my tri hull banged up the keel a little on the trailer possibly due to its design and then there's the obvious some people just don't know what there doing and possibly don't care lol, should I swap it over or could I just add a couple more bunks toward the front and support the bow a little better and help prevent the bottom from making contact. What are your guys thoughts?

Just had this discussion about someone wanting to go to bunks from rollers. So IMO, either way since you have one of each you should be able to answer your own question.

Rollers they load easier so long as everything is straight, can easily be hand cranked on. Can also slide right off if the cable breaks or comes loose.

Bunks harder to hand crank on but can come up on them at an angle and they will self center the boat. Great for loading in a river with a current and for someone not skilled at loading a boat. Also takes a lot more angle for them to just slide off.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
It all comes down to where and how you launch.

I have a roller trailer under the Grady. I've used ramps from Montauk to Harker's and they are all different.

Out of them all, the ramp I frequent most is the only one where a bunker trailer would present a problem at low tide. On several occasions the roller trailer made life easier, but not a nessecity.

Having said that, as a Mid-Atlantic Strper fisherman, I fish a lot when it's cold. Having the ability to just back the trailer in and power the boat on the trailer is very attractive to me. Will probably go to a bunk trailer when the time comes.
I'm sure the anti-power loading people will chime in from the bleachers, but it's not illegal and a none issue where I boat. We have problems with ramps silting up, not the opposite.

thumpar

Admiral
I have had both. The ramps around here are not very steep so the roller was easier to crank up. I like the way the boat sits on the bunk trailer but sometimes it is hard to get it on right. The boat is the legal limit for road use without a permit so it sits over the fenders by a few inches on each side. If it is not perfect it will sit on a fender on one side.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
When I bought my first rig back in the 1960's I could have had it either way. The dealer (which at the time was a 3rd generation company which I still do business with and is simply the best around) advised me to go rollers even though it was an upcharge. Also, I like to read and study things before i jump in and at the time rollers were considered the best.

There were many new boats bought after that - all with roller trailers.

Fast forward fifty years later when I bought my last boat....the particular trailer that came with it was a bunk - no option unless I bought a different trailer from another dealer. So, what the heck - shouldn't matter for a little 14' tinny. Right? Wrong. The boat was only launched once! I pulled off those crap bunks and made the conversion. Now i comfortably launch singlehanded. Of course, my 2500# 19' I/O is also launced or retreived very easily singlehanded.

To answer the OP question:

Roller Pros:
  • easy to launch and retreive ANYWHERE
  • the smooth rollers don't pick up sand and junk so they don't scratch the boat.
  • self centering rollers make the boat go on perfectly in the right spot every time.
  • barely get the tires wet - you're feet don't get wet EVER
  • a "good" trailer with sufficient bunks provides superior supoort because no single roller carries much weight
  • no stress loading and launching
Roller Cons:
  • costs more
  • more maintenance
Bunk Pros:
  • you got me!
Bunk Cons:
  • the opposites of the roller pros

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Kind of like asking, I've had pizza and I've had hamburgers... Which one should I get seconds of?

Which one do YOU like better?.... There's your answer.

Well havnt launched this boat yet, and its a pretty heavy hull, and the Grady is a pain to crank even with rollers but she is a heavy b.... And I don't like cranking lol so to the hell with it ill have the boat off the trailer and in the water for spring and summer so while its off ill just convert to rollers maybe save my body some pain lol

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
easiest way to go from bunks to rollers is to buy roller bunks... very straight forward install.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
DL21754_3_1000.jpg

http://images.etrailer.com/Merchant...utton-Lainson-Boat-Trailer-Parts-DL21754.webm

Maclin

Admiral
Seems like those roller bunks just may be the Hamburger Pizza of the trailer boating world.

agallant80

Commander
The way I understand it is rollers will let you launch at more difficult ramps where tide may be an issue. Bunks are lower maintenance. I rarely read about broken bunks but see lots of threads here and other places about issues with rollers.

I have always had bunks and have lunched on good and bad ramps alike. For me I am sticking with the simpler setup. If I were you I would stick with the simplicity of bunks and just use some bunk lube if you are having issues getting her back on.

jkust

Rear Admiral
Have had good luck with my all-roller trailer no matter how unimproved, steep or shallow the ramp is. We have some nice ramps and some downright awful ones. Easy on and easy off and even in the worst wind or current, it will self straighten as you crank. Plus, the rear tow vehicle tires never touch the water. The thing is that the roller trailer really has to be in not too deep or too shallow and it needs to be level or it doesn't work correctly. Given we no longer trailer more than twice per year, I could live with any type of trailer but the roller trailer made life a lot easier when we would use lots of different ramps each summer.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
I think you meant to say bunks trailer had to be not too deep or shallow etc.

O/P there are other styles of roller bunks that attach to the trailer differently than what joe posted... just google "rollerbunk"

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
all the roller trailers I've had would allow winching the boat on from dry ground... hard to center too deep... That applies to ANY trailer without guide bunks/poles