Ez Loader springs weak

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
The 16' SeaNymph seems to have gotten the better of the leafs on my Ez Loader trailer and I was wondering what you guys think. Should I do a replacement of the springs with new or just add a helper spring? There's a farm and ranch store nearby so I should be able to get what I need there.

The tires on the trailer are now so far up into the fenders that I noticed there's like 1" to 1.5" of travel before they rub on the fender wells.

Leafs are getting pretty flat.

Thalasso

Commander
Before i would go to the trouble of adding a leaf i would just replace them totally as a package. Everything needs to come apart one way or the other.

robert graham

Admiral
Remove the springs and take them to Northern Tool or similar place for stronger replacement springs....but not too stiff or the rig will ride rough....

drydockboat

Cadet
Springs do get weak but before anything else you need to look at the weight of the boat. Since you purchased have you added any equipment that has increased the load? That needs addressed first. If you have then the next question should be your axle capacity. From the picture it looks like 3500# but check the sticker on the trailer or check your bearing sizes. If your inner bearing is an L68149 and the outer bearing is L44649 then that would confirm a 3500# axle which should be plenty for the boat even with added weight. Also check tire capacity which is listed on the tires. My point is just adding more spring is not always the answer and can get you into a lot of trouble if your overloading the rest of the running gear. If all checks out then purchase new springs with an additional leaf. A note of trailer maintenance advice. Have your tires balanced annually. Out of balance tires will shake all the fasteners loose and cause stress on steel parts.

Mod Edit - Can't do that, drydock No email or phone numbers.

Last edited by a moderator:

Watermann

Thanks for the replies, I didn't consider over doing the new springs but will now. I'm thinking that since the leafs have been under a load since 1978 that they just got weak, started sagging too much and need to be replaced. I really didn't like the idea of slapping a helper on springs. There isn't much boat really being it's a 16' AL with a 55 HP motor.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Watermann, Honestly from the pictures you provided and not being able to be there and see in person, I have to say that I don't see weak flattened out springs myself. But as drydockboat suggested, when was the last time you weighed the boat? How old is the transom and floor and such. Could be she is harboring water in her and loading the trailer up a little. Has the handling on the water changed? Before doing anything big, weigh her and see if it seems about correct because there may be nothing wrong with the springs but a heavier boat with water logged transom, stringers and floor... JMHO!

Watermann

Thanks for the reply 280. The boat doesn't leak a drop and is double covered with a boat cover and a tarp. I also finished rebuilding the boat in 2013 from the bottom up, it's the Sea Nymph in my sig line. :D

I will add to my resto thread when I do the work adding some pics of my unconventional non-skid deck covering as an update to how well it's worked out.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
First DO NOT add a leaf..... Second, DO NOT overdo the leaf choice... the ONLY correct way to select a leaf spring is to WEIGH the rig and purchase springs for that weight... Make sure the rest of the trailer is rated for that weight (I suspect that it is but...) Last figure your tongue weight... if it is way light you are carrying more weight on the axle than you should be.

ps the existing springs don't look like much of a problem to me either.... if it isn't bottoming out or hitting tire to fender it may not need fixed.... Does it possibly have bigger tires on it than original?.... that could account for your "spring sag" there...

dozerII

Admiral
I agree as well H20 the springs don't look bad. Check between the axle and the trailer frame to see if there is contact marks. I normal towing doesn't make it bottom out I would say the springs are okay. Can you adjust the fenders as in raise them or increase the arch with a 1/8 or 1/4" aluminum shim between the mount and the fender.

Last edited:

thumpar

Admiral
I know you are not to far from me here in Spokane. There is one of Ezloader's bigger shops here. You might call them to ask about replacements. I drive by it all the time and they have all kinds of trailer parts on hand.

alldodge

Staff member
What's the max load on the trailer. Your SeaNymph list at 650 dry, then engine, and other stuff. Your trailer appears to have a 3500 pound axle on it, but if it is less there may be other issues waiting in the wings

Watermann

Thanks for the replies, I ordered and replaced the leafs with new rated at 1750 each for the 3500# axle which I know doesn't have near that much of a load on it with the boat. Pacific Trailer had the best prices and cheapest shipping for the new leafs. No local supply of eye and C hook leafs here so had to go online for them.

So I measured before and after the fenderwell / tire clearance. I gained nearly 2" of travel (1.75) with the new springs so I'm thinking they will have fixed the rubbing issue. I found all of the eye/hook bushings were worn out too and had a flat side from 38 years of wear so it was time for the repair job.