New Bassboat trailer needed. Need a little advice.

juicegoose

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So my Brother in laws 92 20' Stratos bass boat is still running strong. Little long in the tooth but you simply can't kill it. The trailer on the other hand has literally rusted apart.

We were looking at trying to find a used replacement trailer but got a little confused on ratings.
The existing trailer is a tandom axle.

The boat weight as best as I can find is 1500 dry weight.
Full fuel is 300
Moter is a 175 evinrude and weighs around 400.

Total package 2500 lbs tops

don't keep anything else on the boat except poles and such.

Would a single axle trailer work as long as the weight rating was enough?
Do we have to replace with a tandem axle trailer?

How much extra weight should I add to my estimate or how much higher should the trailer rating be?

As I understand it as long as I can find one long enough and wide enough the bunks and be moved.

Anything that I should take into account?

alldodge

Staff member
Take the boat to a truck scale and weight it, doesn't cost much. They will even let you disconnect from truck so truck and boat/trailer can be weighed separately. You will see different sections on the weight station, have each one on a different section of the scale.

Once you have total weight (full of fuel and stuff) add another 20%. Boat trailers are labeled with their weight carrying capabilities. If it's labeled 2000 lb then it can carry 2000 pounds. trailer weights some but this is not figured into the label. A single axle trailer most likely has a 3500 pound axel, so weight of trailer and what is loaded on it is a max of 3500 lb.

kmarine

Chief Petty Officer
Most bass boats with tandem trailers were outfitted for stability when towing. tandem trailers bounce less and offer a smother towing experience. Remember to add the trailer weight to the package. Over 2000 lbs. need brakes in most states.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
The numbers you are looking for are indicated on the label attached to the trailer tongue.

GVWR = gross trailer weight rating. This the total all-up weight of the trailer, the boat, engine and anything you put in or on the boat/trailer. A 3500# GVWR means if you put that fully loaded trailer on a scale it cannot weigh more than 3500# or it is overloaded. That rating will also have a tire size specified and an air pressure rating. Whatever trailer you look at you must check those numbers and verify that a tire with less capacity than specified on the label has not been installed by an unknowing/uncaring prior owner.

GAWR: Gross axle weight rating: This is the total weight the axle is capable of supporting and will typically be a 3500# but may be a 2000# for small fishing boats or jet ski type trailers.

Weight Capacity: This is the carrying or load capacity of the trailer. It is typically the difference between GVWR and the empty weight of the trailer (3500# minus the trailer weight of, for example, 600# would provide a load capacity of 2900#)

Springs, tires, and axle capacities are like a chain. The GVWR requires all be up to the task or you end up with a weak link in the chain and the potential for an on-road disaster -- provided the trailer is loaded at or near the GVWR..