Green Slime

rolmops

Vice Admiral
Has anybody used it in their trailer tires and if so what is your opinion about it?

airshot

Rear Admiral
Not for use in highway tires would be my recommendation. If you have leaks they should be properly fixed for highway use. I do use it in my ATV, have for years, trail riding can cause some small punctures which the slime will seal but it does need to be updated every couple years as it tends to water down and loose it sealing properties. Bicycles, wheel barrows, ATV etc can all use slime products, but on highway vehicles it should be a NO-NO

lckstckn2smknbrls

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Have you ever seen the face of the guy mounting a new tire and finds the old one full of green slime?
They will charge extra to clean that mess up.

Illinoid

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Works great on off road stuff from wheelbarrows to tractors and skidsteers, don,t use it on on road stuff because I have very few flats there. Went from 3 or three trips a week to get tires fixed to 2 or three times a year

Gyrene

Petty Officer 1st Class
I agree with others. Not only for mess, but can make tires nearly impossible to balance as slime won't stay put. I don't know anyone who balances wheelbarrow or tractor tires.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
WOW at first I thought you seen my neighbor's pool. It has been green slime for about two years now... I honestly think there is some fish living in there now! :fish2:

Okay, I have to agree with all the other commenters on the real usage for green slime. If you really think about what that produce does, it is a very thick slimy solution that has a heavy weight. As you start driving that weight slings around throwing off any balanced wheel tire combination and could create some interesting vibration... For that reason alone, I would only use it in lawn mowers, garden tractors, wheel barrows and even 4-wheelers or ATV's. Because I paid really good money to have my wheel/tries balanced and would like to keep them that way! :car:

Last edited:

airshot

Rear Admiral
wonder if it actually works to balance the tires!? Not much different than balancing beads, you have a heavy material that can move around inside the tire.

http://www.innovativebalancing.com/index.php

I have read articles enforcing that idea, however for my money I have to go along with the others. Key thing here is...if you have leak issues, you need proper maintenance not a fixit in a can, especially for highway use.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I have a spare tire and a tire puncture kit. I have personally taken a tire off the rim that had slime in it. cleaning the mess wasnt pretty.

rolmops

Vice Admiral
Ok , thank you guys. I guess that this is not going to be put in my tires.

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant
I used to use it in my vehicle tires with out any of the problems discussed here. Can't any more because of the tire pressure sensors (seem to get in the way). Still use if for hand truck/wheelbarrow/backhoe tires with good results.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
I've heard it works good in a pinch to get you home. I need to get a can for my street rod. Not much room for a spare. I guess a bunch of rodders have a can.

As far as your trailer, I'd make sure I had good tires to begin with and carry a spare........

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I presently have a front tire on my lawn mower that goes totally flat in a weeks time and seriously thought about trying the "Green Slime" after reading this thread. But changed my mind and bought a proper size tube instead. I would have bought a new tire, but then I would have had to buy two to make sure it cut properly and then the cost set in... The tube won out!

WIMUSKY

Staff member
On lawnmower tires, the first time they start going flat I just tube them...... Usually, no worries after........

erie_guy

Petty Officer 1st Class
My Ford Fusion hybrid comes with a12-volt compressor and a can of Fix-a-Flat. It has no spare tire or space for a compact spare. I have to admit I have not used either, but did have a flat that required installation of a plug. That was 30K miles ago - so Ford must not think the Fix-a-Flat repair is an unsafe repair. Green slime I am not too sure about, but for lawn tractors, etc - no problem.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
My Ford Fusion hybrid comes with a12-volt compressor and a can of Fix-a-Flat. It has no spare tire or space for a compact spare. I have to admit I have not used either, but did have a flat that required installation of a plug. That was 30K miles ago - so Ford must not think the Fix-a-Flat repair is an unsafe repair. Green slime I am not too sure about, but for lawn tractors, etc - no problem.
Don't think anyone is saying it's unsafe. The problem is the big mess it makes on the inside come the time to change tires. It gets hard and forms a "glaze" on the rim. Had to use a 7" grinder an a wheel to get the stuff off the rim before installing a new tire