How to bend runners back? Do I need to?

duckman06

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I just got a new/used boat. The trailer has (2) sets of runners per side. Each side has a one on the fender weld and one at the back. The current ones on the very back side both are bent out or have always been this way.

My question is are the Rear runners suppose to bent out this far are is it hurting anything. The boat goes onto the trailer with the fender welds runners but don't no if need the rear or not?

So if needed what would I need to do to bend the Rear runners closer the boat without causing damage to paint on trailer or causing problems with the boat loading?

I have attached some pics of all the runners so you all can see what I am talking about. Thanks for any help on the matter!

Attachments

• photo213556.jpg
    photo213556.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo213557.jpg
    photo213557.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo213558.jpg
    photo213558.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo213558.jpg
    photo213558.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 0

Barramundi NQ

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey duckman, pics are very small, but are you sure this trailer was setup for this boat?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I think those are guide bunks in the first two pics and the guides are usually adjustable. The carpeted parts of the fenders are also guides of a sort. One more pic please, but back up to show how the boat sits on the trailer.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Those are just guide bunks to help you center the boat to load it.... They are fine just like they are.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I second 'smokeonthewater' as those are merely centering guides for loading the boat in the water. They are not suppose to touch the boat after the boat is trailered.

duckman06

Petty Officer 3rd Class
To answer the questions. The boat is a 2012 war eagle 754vs on a diamond city trailer that it came with new. All the previous trailers I had only had the rear runners. This trailer has rear runners/guides and the fends have carport to the inside of the trailer to help the boat line up and ride on it. I guess what is confusing to me is why the rears are bent out so far? There is not easy adjustment as they are welded on. The only way I could adjust them is to bend them in place with force. As for the pics I had them much bigger but the site would not allow me to post them that size so i had to edit them down to sizes you see so I could post. So the question is are they normally that way on a boat trailer with rear runners/guides with the inner fenders having carport to help load the boat? It's just something I never before. Thanks for all the replies and advice!

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
The "inner fenders are not for loading or centering the boat.... they are just covers between boat and tire.... I personally wouldn't have matched that boat to that trailer.... At least not in that way.... I would want either a wider axle OR the boat higher above the fenders..... As it is adjusting the guide bunks isn't needed.... IF you WANT to adjust them just launch the boat and lean into em... You MAY be able to bend em is by hand....

duckman06

Petty Officer 3rd Class
The "inner fenders are not for loading or centering the boat.... they are just covers between boat and tire.... I personally wouldn't have matched that boat to that trailer.... At least not in that way.... I would want either a wider axle OR the boat higher above the fenders..... As it is adjusting the guide bunks isn't needed.... IF you WANT to adjust them just launch the boat and lean into em... You MAY be able to bend em is by hand....

My question then with regards to the fenders is why are they carported to the inside if not to used for the boat to sit against for the tightest fit? The trailer over all is the right size and is what is sold with most war eagle boats in our area. I do belive the rear runners should be bent in to help guide the boat but with no adjustments it hard to do so with out weaken the metal. That's why I asked if there was a trick or something that I just didn't know about to do so?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Looking at the four pictures once again, the boat does fit the trailer (in my opinion) and the side bunks are again there for help centering the boat during loading from the water. The two fender carpeted pieces are two fold. They keep mud, road debris and such from slinging on to the boat and help centering the boat as well when loading in the water. Neither of those things should be touching the boat after it is loaded properly. The runners (bunks and the tongue stop with winch strap) and the tie downs are to hold the boat in place while traveling to and from the water. And the lower any boat sits on any trailer is better trailering then sitting higher. It lowers the over all C/G making an easier to handle load... I set my side runners so that after loading the boat, they were only a couple of inches or less away from the actual boat. You could bent (re-weld) them closer if you like. It would really help loading the boat for sure.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
My question then with regards to the fenders is why are they carported to the inside if not to used for the boat to sit against for the tightest fit? The trailer over all is the right size and is what is sold with most war eagle boats in our area. I do belive the rear runners should be bent in to help guide the boat but with no adjustments it hard to do so with out weaken the metal. That's why I asked if there was a trick or something that I just didn't know about to do so?

they are carpeted because carpet looks better than bare plywood... If they were FOR guiding the boat they would be built stronger than just plywood screwed to a sheet metal fender.... As they are they're OK just not what I would consider IDEAL.....

Sure there are plenty of tricks to bending metal ranging from levers to torches to cutting and welding instead.....

Lets look at this from another direction... You are very fixated on a gap between the guide bunk and the boat.... Put that out of your mind for a minute.... Does the boat load easily and straight? Are you having any problems whatsoever with the function of the trailer? If not then this isjust a case of acute cabin fever.... Go wax the topside and shine the chrome.... repack the wheel bearings whether they need it or not, grease the tongue jack, n reorganize your tackle box....... Should help ease the symptoms.

duckman06

Petty Officer 3rd Class
The boat loads ok but have to be hafe way out of the water and line up perfect so I don't run up on the fenders. I am thinking the rear guiders should be a little closer the boat to help me with loading as they are now they offer no help.

They should be in my opion a little closer together so when putting on the trailer they guide me so I can't get over the fenders with this 18' foot boat. I don't belive they should be touching the boat once on the trialers as that what the carpeted fenders are for but offer better guiding.

I spoke to Previous owner and questiond if that have always been this way and he said yes and never been a problem for him. I might be reading to much into the rear guides but then again I want ever bit of help I can get when loading it. Thanks for the answers and help.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
It is SUPPOSED to be 'halfway out of the water' when loading... the tops of your fenders should never get wet.... slide it on at just over idle till it stops, hook up the winch, and crank it up the rest of the way