need to replace some rollers but not sure how to take these off and reinstall

I need to replace these old rollers but I'm not sure how to take these off or put them back on.
there does not appear to be a easy way,
the axle goes through the rubber roller which is simple enough but on the outside ends there is a small tube that goes through to hold it on .
anyone have any ideas? sorry about the ignorance its my first boat and trailer :eek:

Attachments

• photo213412.JPG
    photo213412.JPG
    89.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo213413.JPG
    photo213413.JPG
    60 KB · Views: 0
  • photo213414.JPG
    photo213414.JPG
    74.2 KB · Views: 0

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Those are called split pins. I use a pair of dykes to grab them with the cutter, pry them out and toss the pins. Use a washer and cotter pin for replacement.

thumpar

Admiral
Those are called split pins. I use a pair of dykes to grab them with the cutter, pry them out and toss the pins. Use a washer and cotter pin for replacement.
We have always called them roll pins but that is what you need to do. My trailer is a bunk trailer and only have 2 rollers on the bow. I replaced them and used cotter pins.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
We have always called them roll pins but that is what you need to do. My trailer is a bunk trailer and only have 2 rollers on the bow. I replaced them and used cotter pins.

So do I. I don't know where that came from. :facepalm:

thanks I found a set of roll pin starter and a roll pin punch set on amazon pretty cheap maybe I should try picking those up

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
thanks I found a set of roll pin starter and a roll pin punch set on amazon pretty cheap maybe I should try picking those up

ABSOLUTELY

dykes or any sort of pliers are the wrong way to do it... Yes they ARE roll pins and YES roll pin drivers ARE the way to go....

Don't replace with anything else... as long as the pin comes out in good shape, just reuse it... if it gets damaged or loose replace with another roll pin.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Disagree! Roll pins are steel and tend to rust. Then they are difficult to remove. Replace them with appropriate sized stainless steel cotter pins. You won't regret the added cost.

thumpar

Admiral
For sure go with cotter pins. They are not pressed in so if you need to remove them you just bend the tabs straight and pull them out. They are cheap so cost is not an issue. For punches you can just go to Harbor Freight. I build AR15s and use the Harbor Freight punch set for the roll pins.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
So these HORRIBLE roll pins have outlasted the rubber rollers and look to be in great condition.... they are hardened steel and should be replaced with soft steel (or ss) cotter pins because they are bound to fail...... Um yeah that makes a lot of sense.....
Cotter pins ARE ok but are NOT better than a roll pin for this application..... Cotter pins are much more prone to wear and failure here than a hardened steel roll pin.

If you really want stainless roll pins ARE available in SS but then I guess you'll need to replace ALL of that nasty carbon steel on the trailer LOL

Last edited:

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Guess I see a number of options here. Reuse roll pins, change to cotter pins or use the appropriate size clevis pin or the hammer on nut caps. All work for this application just some better than others. I have used all 4 types and in this situation I do not prefer cotter pins. Buy good rollers and whatever fastener you use you shouldn't have to worry about it for a long time.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Nothing wrong with split pins or roll pins

airshot

Rear Admiral
If you choose to go with cotter pins do yourself a favor and add a washer on each side of the cotter pin, if you stay with the split pins and you have enough room add a washer between the pin and frame. Reason for this is if the shaft rotates it will not cause either pin to catch and cause extra wear.