Need new lights

acdc96

Chief Petty Officer
My trailer lights have seen better days... The light bulb plate for the tail lights are zipped tied on. The bulbs are wired directetly to the trailer wiring. The right side is 50% speaker wire due to a furry critter. So now that I want to move the trailer it half lights up. FML. So I'm gonna get myself a present... New trailer lights!

The trailer lights on their are Peterson PM451 tail lights. Unfortunately they don't make them any more and no one is selling them. The PM 541 don't fit at all. I swear the trailer was built around these lights.

So any one got any suggestions?

The dimensions of the lights are 6 1/8 L X 3 9/16 H X 2 7/8 deep. With a 2" bolt spacing. I would prefer to stick with incandescent lights due to their simplicity and can handle getting wet. Also, bulbs are cheap and easy.

acdc96

Chief Petty Officer
I guess I can try those led ones... I think harbor freight sells those I believe. Can these new LED lights work with my incandescent Amber side clearance lights? Those are good and never replaced (original to the trailer).

NYBo

Admiral
The lights won't care what kind of side markers you have and vice versa. But you would be better off with a complete kit which would include the wiring and LED side markers.

thumpar

Admiral
On my last boat trailer I was having issues so changed mine out. I go one of the kits that has everything. They were LED and much better than the incandescent. Going to LED is on my someday list the my current trailer.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I also agree with the new LEDs and for a few good reasons. The fact that LEDs (for the most part) operate much much cooler the incandescent bulbs means their chances of blowing out when hitting the water is zilch too. And the fact that LEDs are solid state P/N junctions, they can withstand a ton of vibration and shock verses flimsy filaments windings in incandescent bulbs. And then there is the totally sealed design of the actual LED so water intrusion won't get in and initiate corrosion either. So absolutely go LEDs. And I would also buy the complete set with the side markers and installed them properly once, for zero concerns for years to come too.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
I replaced my lights with LEDs from a local auto parts store. It couldn't have been much easier. My wiring was OK, so I was able to use the existing stuff... the plugs that connect the wiring to the lights fit perfectly. Best thing: I'll never need to replace another bulb!

One thing to look for: there is some variation in brightness in LED sets. It seems that, generally, the more LEDs per light fixture, the brighter it will be. I preferred the sets with more LEDs.

Crosbyman

Rear Admiral
Just fyi.... I had a heck of a problem with my trailer converter module made by CURT using LEDs on my trailer

the module switches 12 volts directly of the car battery by sensing voltages of the car lights (brake-park-turn)

After 4 CURT modules replaced my KIA dealer installed a KIA module and no more problems

LEDs need very few milliamps to shine and those 4 bad CURT modules were leaking a few milliamps even with the car ignition and lights all turned off !!!

thumpar

Admiral
It depends on the vehicle whether you need a converter or not. Most trucks don't.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Just fyi.... I had a heck of a problem with my trailer converter module made by CURT using LEDs on my trailer

the module switches 12 volts directly of the car battery by sensing voltages of the car lights (brake-park-turn)

After 4 CURT modules replaced my KIA dealer installed a KIA module and no more problems

LEDs need very few milliamps to shine and those 4 bad CURT modules were leaking a few milliamps even with the car ignition and lights all turned off !!!

That's actually the beauty of such LEDs. They don't use much amperage, they don't burn out as quick, and they don't get hot like incandescent bulbs do. So even if you back your trailer into the water just after arriving at the ramps from driving there, the LEDs will not see the hot to cold temperature changes that incandescent bulbs do and blowing them out. And LEDs seem brighter for better visibility also... And that IS why most new vehicles are going to LEDs for everything now.

Blue Mist 97

Seaman Apprentice
As all the above have stated, led is the way to go. When I changed my lights a few years ago from incandescent to led, it was like night and day. The leds are brighter and more reliable. Just make sure that you check the number of leds in the lights you buy. Some will have as few as 9 and others will have as many as 18-20 in the brake/stop pod. The more leds you have, the better others will see you. Spend a little more and buy led side markers as well, you won't regret it.

If you have the room, the low profile led kits (8"x2/8"x2/8") are nice and easy to install..