Removing boat trailer from truck

Status
Not open for further replies.
as I have aged, it is much harder to jack up my boat trailer and remove it from my truck.......almost as difficult when trying to put it back on............to make matters worse, my driveway is on an incline...........any ideas would be greatly appreciated..........thank you.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
upgrade the jack, and get a set of wheel chocks. I pick my wheel chocks from the spare tire jack set on S-10's at most u-pull salvage yards. most I have ever paid for a set of 4 chocks is $5

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
:welcome: aboard, Bill.

I'm aging as well and I chock the wheels because I'm on a little incline too. And most times when I jack the trailer up to unhitch, the ball doesn't come out of the coupler easily. What I've been doing is jack the tongue up until the truck it starts to unload the truck suspension. Next I apply a smart kick on top of the drawbar between the truck and ball. That always pops the coupler off the ball.

What kind of jack do you have now? Maybe it needs some lube if it's hard to lift the trailer. Or time for a new jack.

thumpar

Admiral
You could get an electric jack like bigger RV trailers use. Most vehicles now have cigarette light style jacks in the back so you could tap into that for power or just run a small battery on the trailer that you keep charged.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
GREASE on the ball helps those of you who need to kick the coupler.... a rubber cover helps keep that grease off of...... EVERYTHING you get near after walking behind your truck.

Better jack, electric jack, rear camera system, Take the neighbor kid fishing whenever possible and teach him to help you.

If all else fails........

mla2ofus

Chief Petty Officer
Chock both sides of tlr, lift w/ tongue jack until you know it's starting to lift tow vehicle. Get in TV and let it slowly roll ahead and you'll feel the coupler release the ball.
Mike

I have a Searay, 18'............have been using the chocks but since the VA decided to take my right lung, I get exhausted quickly.............now considering an electric jack as someone recommended..........thanks gentlemen...........great ideas, especially just keeping it hooked up.............

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
is your searay on the original shoreland'r trailer? if so, you may want to look at upgrading the jack from a 500# capacity to one more along the lines of a 1100# capacity. it will be easier to crank.

rakivilsov

Recruit
as I have aged, it is much harder to jack up my boat trailer and remove it from my truck.......almost as difficult when trying to put it back on............to make matters worse, my driveway is on an incline...........any ideas would be greatly appreciated..........thank you.

now considering an electric jack as someone recommended..........thanks gentlemen...........great ideas, especially just keeping it hooked up.............

Status
Not open for further replies.