Help replacing wheel assembly on a boat trailer

uspilotzzz

Recruit
Ok so I recently moved to the coast of CA and of course I had to buy a boat. I found a cheap 12' fishing boat and trailer. I picked it up and towed it home, but by the time I got home I realized the bearings had disintegrated on one of the wheels. After a little research I found that I did not have the more modern hub and wheel assembly, but simply a spindle and whats called an integral wheel assembly. What that simply means is that the hub is built into the wheel, its not a separate item. I found one of them here. (see link)

The problem was when I got the new assembly and put one on the spindle, the collar on the wheel sticks out just past the end of the spindle. This means I can not tighten the nut down on the spindle all that easy and I cant really access the cotter pin hole. I also noticed if I spin the wheel the nut spins with it, which doesnt seem right.

Am I right in assuming that the spindle should stick out past whatever kind of assembly you are using? My thoughts are that my spindle is not the right length for the wheel assembly. I am also thinking of just getting a more traditional hub and wheel but now I am worried that the spindle I have wont be the right length for that either. When I look at hub kits none of them specify a required spindle length which I find odd. What am I missing here? Is there a standard spindle length? And if so what is it?

Thanks

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome aboard, pilot.

What sometime happens when a bearing goes bad is the race spins and gets stuck on the spindle. If the old race isn't removed you end up with exactly the situation you've described - The hub assembly doesn't fully seat on the spindle and makes you think the spindle is too short or the new assembly is too long.

Can you snap a pic of the spindle with the wheel/hub removed?

kmarine

Chief Petty Officer
I have mot seen that type in a while. you may want to look for an axle assembly maybe used , you might find one for $150 or so with tires. also look for used trailers.

uspilotzzz

Recruit
The spindle is clear, I would attach the pictures but the forum doesnt seem to like them. The spindle measures 3 5/8 inches to the part that is wider where the wheel seats. The only think I can come up with is that its just not long enough. So weird.

Bondo

Staff member
The spindle is clear, I would attach the pictures but the forum doesnt seem to like them. The spindle measures 3 5/8 inches to the part that is wider where the wheel seats. The only think I can come up with is that its just not long enough. So weird.

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,... Yer axle is Obsolete, no longer used,....
The closest thing to it, is the garden trailer hub ya found,.....

Best bet is to replace the axle, if ya can't get hubs to fit it, 'n get tires on wheels,...

For pictures, post 'em on a hostin' site, 'n link 'em back here,....

Illinoid

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I would pull the wheel off of the other side and compare both ends of the axle and the wheels.

UncleWillie

Captain
...I realized the bearings had disintegrated on one of the wheels. After a little research I found that I did not have the more modern hub and wheel assembly, but simply a spindle and whats called an integral wheel assembly. What that simply means is that the hub is built into the wheel, its not a separate item...

Whether the hub is integral or separate from the tire/wheel assembly;
You should be able to replace just the Bearings without replacing the Hub.
Just because the Bearings are bad, does not mean the Hub is also bad.
A lot less expensive also!

uspilotzzz

Recruit
Whether the hub is integral or separate from the tire/wheel assembly;
You should be able to replace just the Bearings without replacing the Hub.
Just because the Bearings are bad, does not mean the Hub is also bad.
A lot less expensive also!

Thanks I am going to look into replacing the bearings first because thats the cheapest and potentially easiest route. If that doesnt work I am going to weld on new spindels to fit a more standard wheel or hub.

sublauxation

Lieutenant
If you look around online you'll probably see that it's almost as cheap if not cheaper to buy a new axle. For a typical 12' boat trailer you should be able to easily find one under $100 with hubs and bearings.