2 Vs. 3 Axles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Okieboatguy

Petty Officer 1st Class
OK, here is the question I am pondering. I am in the process of getting materials to build a new trailer for my boat and was looking at my axle options. I have decided to go with torsion axles, however, I am undecided as to going with 2 or 3. Here is my reasoning for dilemma, or my perceived dilemma. The boat is 26', long, not including the pulpit and swim platform, and it has 120" beam. It weighs in at just under 6,000 with fuel and water. Given a max trailer weight of 750 pounds, on the high side, and for grins let's say total weight would be 7,000 max total weight of everything. Now going with 2 axles I am looking at a load capacity of 5,200 each axle for a total of 10,400 with a total cost of $1260. The 3 axle option is 3 3,500 pound axles with a total load capacity of 10,500 pounds at a total cost of $1,110. Both of these prices do not include tires, so price and load rating are for all given purposes equal. Given that, I have compiled a list pros and cons of each scenario, and would like your all's opinions and thoughts to what I may have missed.

Pros to 2 axle set-up-------------------------------- Pros to 3 axle set-up

Better fuel efficiency--------------------------------- Better weight distribution to the wheels and bearings
Better turning, especially in tight spots------- Less heat and wear and tear on each wheel and bearing
Less complicated------------------------------------- More security when trailering on long trips

Cons of a 2 axle set-up------------------------------ Cons of 3 axle set-up

More stress on bearings and wheels----------- Skidding issues when backing or in tight areas
Less security-------------------------------------------- Additional cost of fuel and tires

**** I put down securtiy as an issue because anyone who has had a set of bearing spin out on you knows it usually happens at the worst time, or I have also had my spare stolen from me at the ramp while out on the lake and then blew a tire out on the way home, what a pain in the A%% dealing with that at 10:00 PM on a Sunday night an hour from home and a truck full of tired kids!

I am looking at the third axle as a possible security blanket for a paranoid boater who wants to travel a bit more with his new bigger boat.

Sooooo, let me have it, what am I missing since I am leaning towards a 3 axle option, please point out where I am being stupid or what I am overlooking.

Last edited:

kmarine

Chief Petty Officer
I haul trailers a lot and have both types. From your description I would go with the 3 axle set up. It will not be as much of a difference in cost because you can use the smaller axles and tires more available. I recommend checkin with a trailer parts liquidation supply company like johnsons rv surplus in white pigeon Michigan. They have tons of axles as they are surrounded by the worlds largest trailer manufacturers.

alldodge

Staff member
If you blow a tire it still appears your going to have to change it, or tie it up so it doesn't damage the drum. This is also true with a 2 axle rig. I would use 2 axle rig and 8 or 10 ply tires for more security. You get caught driving home with a wheel tied up and you just might get stopped any way. As for the spare, locks are made to keep honest folks honest, all we can do is try to keep them from gong a stray.

Bondo

Staff member
and it has 120" beam

Ayuh,.... Yer regularly towin' 10' wide down the highway, on long trips,..??

Anything over 102" is a permit required load,....

thumpar

Admiral
Ayuh,.... Yer regularly towin' 10' wide down the highway, on long trips,..??

Anything over 102" is a permit required load,....
I caught that too. I am at the limit on mine (checked to make sure it was legal).

For the trailer I would go with 3 axles. It will probably ride smoother and safer. The fuel usage will probably not be noticeable. The only real downside I could see with a 3 axle is tight turns.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I put down securtiy as an issue because anyone who has had a set of bearing spin out on you knows it usually happens at the worst time, or I have also had my spare stolen from me at the ramp while out on the lake and then blew a tire out on the way home, what a pain in the A%% dealing with that at 10:00 PM on a Sunday night an hour from home and a truck full of tired kids!
Buying a lock is a lot cheaper than a third axle.

The third axle increases the probability of a bearing failure by 33.3%...;)

Okieboatguy

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks all, I knew I could get some things to think about, and a different way to think about the problem. I am leaning towards the third axle, and yes, it is a very wide load, however, taking it from Oklahoma, Misouri, and Texas has not been that big of an issue. Seeing around it is not as bad as you would think since it starts at 100" at the base then widens out at deck level at the 120" so when it lines up with my truck, the mirrors are at about 106". Also, getting the permits for transport are not that bad. I have been able to get them online, or just when I cross the state line like in Missouri at the weigh station, they run $8.00 for a week.

First thought, you are all correct about I can still get a blow out, but my thought is less stress per tire, so a blow out is less likely. Basic math tells me if I am at 7,000 pounds, minus 500 for the tongue weight on the truck so with 2 axles I am at 1625 per tire, 3 axles I am at 1,083 pounds per tire. Also, with having a worse case scenario where I need to pull a tire due to some failure, I would gladly take a ticket to make it down the road to make a repair in a better or safer place than the side of the road. Since when my spare was stolen, it was locked to my trailer, however I have since learned not to go with the cheaper spin on tire lock, I now have a heavy chain.

I am still going back to the thought of less stress on the wheels and bearings. Less weight per tire means less stress on the bearings, which in turn means less heat. Heat is what causes the damage to the bearings and tires, (other than no or not enough axle grease), less bearing damage and stress means less chance of thrown bearings or a blown tire. So I am not sure that adding an extra axle would actually add a 33% of throwing a set of bearings. Especially when adding the 3rd axle, it is actually $150 cheaper, and that would pay the price of at least one of the extra tires and rims.

Hmmmmmmmm.... I think I am over thinking this, the bad and good part of OCD........ :joyous::joyous::joyous::faint2:

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
2 axles is WAY better than 3... tri axle trailers are HARD on axles.... more axles for weight distribution is a NON issue.. 4 stronger tires and 4 stronger bearing sets are every bit as good for carrying their rated weight as 6 each of the weaker versions.

more tires, more bearings, more wear items and more chance of failure.

2 5200 lb axles are the way to go... ALSO for any multi axle trailer spring suspension with equalizers makes a better trailer as the weight is always distributed evenly... torsions are not except when the trailer is perfectly level on flat ground... example going into a gas station and have to run over a curb or steep driveway, one axle may have the entire load on it. I have pulled every trailer imaginable many thousands of miles and the absolute best option for that boat is a tandem with springs axles

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
on your list of pro's n cons you need to delete ALL of the pros of the tri and ALL of the cons of the tandem... you can forget the fuel difference... it's correct but will be such a negligible amount it isn't worth the time spent typing it. maybe a pack of twinkies after 10 years.....

For peace of mind, mount a spindle on the frame, install a complete spare hub, bearings, and tire/wheel on said spindle and keep the needed tools in your truck..

you keep referring to "less stress" on tires n bearings...... apples to oranges...... what's better for carrying a table across your house and experiences less stress... 2 250 lb men or 3 150 lb women.... If you really want to figure "stress" you have to look at percentage of rated load and there the tandem and tri are the virtually the same... sure the tri is rated for 100 lbs more but it will WEIGH over 100 lbs more than the tandem.

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Out of curiosity, what boat is this? Your gross weights are way too low, especially the weight of the trailer.

Okieboatguy

Petty Officer 1st Class
It is a 1988, Imperial FC260. NADA Guide has the dry weight at 5280. However, when I ran it across the scales with about a half a tank of fuel, it weighed in at just over 5800.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
What is the fuel and water capacity?
Just to give you an idea how much a typical trailer weighs, an EZ loader 8500# gross weight trailer weighs 2000#

Last edited:

agallant80

Commander
My boat is 25 foot and 6,800 dry add in 80 gal of fuel, 25 gal of water and gear and it at the 8K mark. I have a dual axle trailer, no complaints it tows just fine. I keep two spare tires and an extra hub with me. As for your width, what state are you in? I know in NC and FL you are allowed to go over the normal 8.5 limit if its a recreational boat.

alldodge

Staff member
In KY you can go past the 8.5 but legally only with a wide load permit. That being said, all cops let you slide so long as your no more then 9.5, at 10 they ticket, even farmers which try to travel a bit to far from home.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
What is the fuel and water capacity?
Just to give you an idea how much a typical trailer weighs, an EZ loader 8500# gross weight trailer weighs 2000#

exactly, the 750# sounded way way way too light. my 6k Shorelander is 1200#

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
It is a 1988, Imperial FC260. NADA Guide has the dry weight at 5280. However, when I ran it across the scales with about a half a tank of fuel, it weighed in at just over 5800.

Was that unhooked from the truck? if not, add another 10% or so for tongue weight carried by the tow vehicle.

rjbergen

Cadet
exactly, the 750# sounded way way way too light. my 6k Shorelander is 1200#

I agree that the 750 lb. trailer sounded extremely light. Unless you're using titanium or something, it won't be that light for the load you're looking to carry.

My 7k GVWR trailer for my 24' boat is 1,180 lbs. for the unloaded trailer. I bet you're looking more like 1,500 lbs. for unloaded trailer weight.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
but not THAT light... I thought the numbers looked low too but since he said he was building a 10k trailer I figured it was a non issue as that will be plenty of capacity.... after thinking about it tho it COULD be an issue if the trailer actually DOES end up that light... that would mean it was built WAY too flimsy and would collapse under the boat.

Status
Not open for further replies.