Gator Trailer ID Help

moxiedog

Seaman Apprentice
Just picked up a sweet Queen Merrie on what looks to be a Gator trailer. I understand there should be a number stamped on the front right somewhere, but I think this has been painted a time or two. I looked around online and never saw one with the triangle up near the tongue. Anyone know an approx. year and model of this trailer? Any idea on value?

moxiedog

Seaman Apprentice
I found the number on the trailer. Front right part of the frame. The number says 549 W 164. Any ideas?

64osby

Admiral
http://www.fiberglassics.com/library/Gator

Have you looked here ^.

Gator trailers are nice. Just acquired one with my Lone Star. Yours is a few years older than mine based on the look.

As stated above the triangle has been added. Why a weight distribution hitch would be needed on that package is beyond me.

Last edited:

moxiedog

Seaman Apprentice
I would guess I have a Gator 400. I may try to scrape all the layers of poorly laid paint off and repaint it the right way. I will also be looking for original wheels and hubs as the PO put some cheapies on from Tractor Supply or the like.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Had one under my old Lund when I bought it. Was a great trailer and by the best guess that I could come up with was that it was a late 50's or very early 60's model. It also had the C channel steel frame. I ended up swapping that trailer out for a newer Spartan Tilt Roller trailer. I also wish some one would start making that kind of trailer again for us guys that use boats 16' or less and weigh less than 1200lbs loaded.