moving a trailer with a electric tow dolly help needed?

acdc96

Chief Petty Officer
this winter I plan on moving my 21ft celebrity to my parents house. my father owened a couple of camp trailers [ball and 5th wheels] and he sill has the the electric tow/motor dollys in is garage. now where the boat is going a truck cannot be used to not enough room between house and the garage. so the only way to get it their with a dolly. the boat is too heavy [4600lbs dry without trailer, and around 5,500 with trailer] to move with a manuel dolly so power is needed. the type of tow motor he has uses the jack post to move the trailer around, most camp tailers dont have wheeled jacks but use a deacable skid plate on the jack.

i need some quick, simple, cheap way to attach the dolly to my trailer... any ideas???
here some pics of the equipent and my trailer im going to be dealing with: https://plus.google.com/113240490276621763695/posts/Ts2qiJTpFpH

i could weld a 2inch seel pipe to a plate and bolt it to the trailer... Thoughs? [only have a small craftsman fluxwire welder] decent welder but alot of slag...

Note im not buying a new jack, cuting the old jack, moding the tow dolly [faher paid $500 new still worth alot of money].

alldodge

Staff member
this winter I plan on moving my 21ft celebrity to my parents house. my father owened a couple of camp trailers [ball and 5th wheels] and he sill has the the electric tow/motor dollys in is garage. now where the boat is going a truck cannot be used to not enough room between house and the garage. so the only way to get it their with a dolly. the boat is too heavy [4600lbs dry without trailer, and around 5,500 with trailer] to move with a manuel dolly so power is needed. the type of tow motor he has uses the jack post to move the trailer around, most camp tailers dont have wheeled jacks but use a deacable skid plate on the jack.

i need some quick, simple, cheap way to attach the dolly to my trailer... any ideas???
here some pics of the equipent and my trailer im going to be dealing with: https://plus.google.com/113240490276621763695/posts/Ts2qiJTpFpH

i could weld a 2inch seel pipe to a plate and bolt it to the trailer... Thoughs? [only have a small craftsman fluxwire welder] decent welder but alot of slag...

Note im not buying a new jack, cuting the old jack, moding the tow dolly [faher paid $500 new still worth alot of money].

Have a better pic of the dolly?

64osby

Admiral
Pick up a piece of thick walled pipe, 3/8" u-bolts and and make a backer plate.

Bolt it on and away you go. If it fails then look at welding something up.

acdc96

Chief Petty Officer
Going to try to replicate the one from powercaster and use a combo of bolts and welding.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Wouldn't it be easier to adapt a ball on the totter, 'n slip it into the coupler,..??

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
A ball won't work with that type of dolly. The dolly would fall over. The 2 little wheels on it are only used for moving the dolly around. They are lifted off the ground when in use.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Going to try to replicate the one from powercaster and use a combo of bolts and welding.

Ayuh,.... Wouldn't it be easier to adapt a ball on the totter, 'n slip it into the coupler,..??

acdc - You're making this too complicated. Expand on Bondo's idea. Buy a cheap long shank ball, couple of large washers and a chunk of pipe. Cut the pipe to fit so a washer, the pipe, washer and the coupler nut fit on the shank. Drop it in the Powercaster and move the trailer. No welding, no drilling and no mods to your Dad's Powercaster.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
'fraid that won't work... the adapter needs to be rigid on the trailer or the power unit will want to walk out from under the boat or possibly tip sideways

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
You won't know 'til you try. That thing isn't made for off-roading. Do you have a riding mower?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I own a powercaster and I can assure you that won't work.

From the Powercaster website:
http://www.powercaster.com/Info/Answers.html
  • The Power Caster does NOT attach to the ball on the trailer. It was originally designed for the
    crank-up jack on the trailer to sit into the cup above the Power Caster tire. The Power Caster
    comes with 4 sleeves (a bushing set) to allow you to adjust for different size crank-up jacks. If you
    cannot or choose not to use the jack in this manner you will need an adapter.
  • Because the two rear wheels lift up off of the ground, if you try to attach the Power Caster to the
    ball of your trailer (in any way) the Power Caster will simply tip over or it will walk up out from under
    the trailer (the handle hitting you in the chin).
I did not add the bold lettering.

Last edited:

Brian 26

Chief Petty Officer
What about buying a tongue jack that has the plate on it?

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
That was my first thought too but .....
....................... i could weld a 2inch seel pipe to a plate and bolt it to the trailer... Thoughs? [only have a small craftsman fluxwire welder] decent welder but alot of slag...