New member needs help replacing tires

homefor2

Recruit
I just bought a pair of Maxxis trailer tires for my Trailstar trailer. I have a 1999 Suntracker Party Barge and the original trailer had F65 - 14 tires that were original. I'm towing from BC, Canada to Lake Havasu and wanted new tires but can't find the F65 or any 65 series tires here. Will 205-75 14's rub on the fenders. They seem pretty close.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
It's all about load capacity. Look at the sidewall for both the old and new tires. If the load capacity ratings are the same or higher on the new tires you are good to go. If they are significantly less on the new tires, you need to determine what the rig weighs with all the gear in the boat as it will travel on the highway. Any truck scale can weight it for you. Even though the load rating on the new tires may be less than the old, if the fully loaded weight is less than the load rating, that's ok.

homefor2

Recruit
Load capacity is not a problem. Wether or not the new tires rub is my concern. Just want to know if anyone here has used 205-74-14's on this trailer.

homefor2

Recruit
I have the tires mounted but can't tell if there is enough clearance. If I don't mess them up I can return them but would like to know if anyone has used this size without issues of rubbing.

alldodge

Staff member
I just bought a pair of Maxxis trailer tires for my Trailstar trailer. I have a 1999 Suntracker Party Barge and the original trailer had F65 - 14 tires that were original. I'm towing from BC, Canada to Lake Havasu and wanted new tires but can't find the F65 or any 65 series tires here. Will 205-75 14's rub on the fenders. They seem pretty close.

:welcome: to iboats

From what I can find the F65-14 equates to the 205/65D14 tire. Dimensions are:
Height = 24.6
Width = 8.07
Load Cap = 1760 lb single axle

The 205/75D14 tire is 26.9

To calculate tire height take the width (205mm) X the profile (.65) = 133.25, then multiply by 2 for tire on top and bottom of rim = 266.5mm (convert to inches (10,49), plus rim diameter (14) = 24.5 inch tall

Keep in mind many 14 inch trailer tires are 14.5 inches

But then again I cannot answer your main question about if they will rub. Only that you can use the above to find another tire which could fit.
http://www.easternmarine.com/nanco-7-145-lt-heavy-duty-tire-load-range-d

Last edited:

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
to know if they will rub you have to know how far your suspension will flex and how much clearance you have... we don't know either and looking for someone with the same trailer, same tires, same boat, and same bumps in the road to see if they rubbed for them won't likely get you anywhere.

That said, that seems like a pretty big jump in tire size.... I think I'd keep shopping for a better fit... Possibly step down to 185's

We can help you shop but we need to know the total axle weight with the boat fueled loaded and ready to go.

You MAY even find that you have to modify your trailer if you can't find suitable tires but anything that makes the trailer taller should be a last resort.

http://www.tires-easy.com/cgi-bin/rs...rt=&kategorie=

Last edited:

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Put one hand on top of the other. Now slide them between the top of the tire and the fender. If you cannot do do this with ease, there is not enough clearance and you risk tire damage from rubbing on the fenders.

homefor2

Recruit
Put one hand on top of the other. Now slide them between the top of the tire and the fender. If you cannot do do this with ease, there is not enough clearance and you risk tire damage from rubbing on the fenders.

That makes sense. I think I will look at getting longer shackles and raise it up another inch or so. Thanks.

'78 Crusader

Chief Petty Officer
I've had terrible luck with maxxis tires....had two blow out over the summer...less than two years old. I used Carlisles in the past and replaced them due to recommendations on this forum in favor of Maxxis.......bad mistake. I know run Carlisles and will probably stick with them as they've never given me a problem.