No traction when pulling boat out of the water

1986_Horizon

Recruit
I have a 215 Searay Express and pull it with a Ford Explorer 2 WD with a factory tow package (rated for 5,000 lbs).
The problem is (at low tide only), when I pull the boat out of the water, I do not get enough traction on the concrete ramp to pull it out. Tires just spin.This has happened at different boat ramps so it is not 1 ramp in particular. My present solutions is either wait till high tide or get assistance. .Some other suggestions I heard are putting kitty litter down in front of tires to getting traction mats??
The last person who helped tow me out suggested that I move the bow stop post more toward the front of the trailer to shift the weight.
Any thoughts or suggestions on that idea?
Thank you in advance and Happy Thanksgiving!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
welcome aboard

is this a rear wheel driver (older) ford explorer, or a newer front wheel drive explorer? not much you can do with a FWD vehicle. This is why I use a 4x4 for a boat towing vehicle, especially one as large as your 215 express. you are probably over your towing capacity anyway. the 215 express has a dry weight of 3800#, the trailer weighs 1200#, and then you need to add your gear. I suspect you are closer to 5400-5600#.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
if this is rear wheel drive then the suggestion for more tongue weight was spot on AS LONG AS you don't get beyond what the hitch and tongue can handle... get it on a scale and see where you are now... shoot for about 10% of total... I wouldn't exceed 15%

I would expect about 350 lbs or so

ALSO tires can make a HUGE difference... if they are old and worn they may look ok but not be hooking up for you.

I wasn't aware that they made a fwd explorer BUT in the past I have had very good results leaving the boat a foot or more back from the bow stop (less or even negative tongue weight) for a fwd to pull it up the ramp and then winching it the rest of the way at the top

Last edited:

ken51k

Petty Officer 3rd Class
The one really important thing that nobody ever talks about about is your tires. Different make tires can make a big difference on traction.
I had Cooper tires on my truck when I first bought it and I had a lot of traction problems towing my boat. I changed to Toyo tires and never had a
problem after that. Some tires are made of a harder rubber for longer wear, but you don't get the traction with these tires. A softer rubber will give you
much better traction.

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade
If you do not have a limited slip differential then it may be worth investing in one. Lowering air pressure in your rear tires will also help as a temporary measure, but make sure they are back inflated to the proper level before you drive anywhere past the parking lot. Having someone sit in the back of the truck or stand on the front of the trailer will also help your traction.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Sometimes keeping a light foot on the brake helps control the wheelspin.

thumpar

Admiral
I think your biggest problem is that you are probably over your tow limit. I would try to stay at about 75% or less of the max rating. 4WD/AWD also helps.

bassman284

Commander
I have a 215 Searay Express and pull it with a Ford Explorer 2 WD with a factory tow package (rated for 5,000 lbs).
The problem is (at low tide only), when I pull the boat out of the water, I do not get enough traction on the concrete ramp to pull it out. Tires just spin.This has happened at different boat ramps so it is not 1 ramp in particular. My present solutions is either wait till high tide or get assistance. .Some other suggestions I heard are putting kitty litter down in front of tires to getting traction mats??
The last person who helped tow me out suggested that I move the bow stop post more toward the front of the trailer to shift the weight.
Any thoughts or suggestions on that idea?
Thank you in advance and Happy Thanksgiving!
Kitty litter might help, sand would probably be a little better. Kittly litter is easy to find in any grocery store. You can find bags of sand either 50 or 60 lbs in places like Home Depot or Ace Hardware, maybe Lowes. You could get 4 bags or so and use them for extra weight over the rear wheels or bust one open and sprinkle some on the ramp. For ramp sprinkling, first put some behind your rear wheels, back up on it, then sprinkle some in front of the wheels for 3 or 4 feet. Accelerate gently and you should climb out.

You may or may not be slightly over your tow limit but that has nothing to do with your traction problems.

keith2k455

Chief Petty Officer
Although I have awd and that or 4wd is best people have been launching boats for decades with 2wd trucks and vans. I'd think changing tires would be the way to go. IMO kitty litter on the ramp spells disaster for the next guy. Unless there is no line waiting to launch, you may not be able to clean it up.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
My choices - start one foot on the brake then with tongue weight, then tires

ihearth2o

Petty Officer 2nd Class
FWD and being over capacity - not much you can do with that combo. Tires might help but a slick ramp is a slick ramp. Might want to see about a hitch extender so you don't have to back into the ramp as far and avoid the slickest part of the ramp but if you're having tongue weight issues already, hitch extender will only make it worse. You could also look into a front mounted hitch but you'd have to watch your front axle rating. Keep a couple tow straps handy to offer the guy that's nice enough to pull you out.

Last edited:

smassey22180

Petty Officer 1st Class
A limited slip dif may be all that you need. Is only one rear wheel spinning? I have added a LSD carriers a few times and it was very easy. Just unbolt everything and re-use the carrier shims. I have never had to re-shim for just a carrier swap. Driving in the rain will also be much easier. No more spinning when turning right.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ford-posi-8...Parts_Accessories&hash=item58b97eacc5&vxp=mtr

Fed

Commander
Whenever I strike a slick ramp I simply roll the car back to take the weight off the trailer and possibly get below the slick (never looked to check) then drive out slowly. It's amazing how much a tiny bit of forward momentum helps.

alldodge

Staff member
Put a trailer hitch on the front then back up to pull your trailer out, that is "IF" your rear tires will not be on the slime

Triangleboater

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yeah, something seems off. I see 2wd small trucks like rangers, s10's pulling way bigger loads then they should be all the time and they don't seem to have much trouble at the ramp.

Maybe post a couple pics of your setup, as in tires, trailer and such. Then give us some numbers and figures like current tongue weight and what the limits are on your hitch.

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
as Jay said, I've never spun a wheel pulling my 20ft cuddy out of a concrete ramp.. I've got a 2wd GMC Sierra long bed pulling it.... your tires suspect?...the ramp is smooth? water quality? if lots of slime on the ramp?. 4wd a consideration

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Measure the tongue weight to start, try to get closer to 10% if the rear suspension can handle it.
Better tires, I have used the General Grabber AT2 on both Jeeps and they are great off road
Temporarily air the tires down, to about 20 psi, that will increase the foot print of the tire and increase traction (but don't forget to air up!!!)
We air down to 12 psi on the beach and never get stuck. At stock pressures even 4x4s get stuck.