Bow stop concerns

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
all for simple, but...

If you bought new as a package then it 'should' have been balanced correctly from your dealer.
If you bought new the boat should not have been positioned like that
If you bought used never assume anything.
The unloaded trailer is not balanced as you state.

That said you should be ok. Conceptually it is completely ok. Looks like it is ok.

But:

You seem to have a bunch of tools in your garage so assuming you are somewhat of a gear head. Just flipping the stop is kinda like putting bolts back on a block without a torque wrench. I bet you have a torque wrench. Why? Because that way you know it's right.

Follow Thalasso's diagram only takes a few minutes then you know it's right. I travel around the SE part of the country a lot and see improperly loaded fifth wheel's/trailers/boats all the time and get the hell out of the way as too often I've see the results upside down in the ditch .

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Without having to re-engineer the whole trailer by moving axles or welding up a new bow stop. I am inclined to try the simplest option first. I am assuming that Starcraft built the trailer with the proper balance without any load on it.

Moving the axle is a simple job, about 20 minutes.

The simplest solution is probably what the previous owner took, when he added the swing away tongue, which might be the origin of the problem.

Trailers are often set up by young kids, at the dealership.

And when you are done, you still have no idea what your tongue weight is.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
. I am assuming that Starcraft built the trailer with the proper balance without any load on it. Therefor, I believe the load should be transferred fore or aft for a proper weight distribution.

No... Just no... Thinking like that will potentially get yourself and someone else on the highway killed. You do not EVER want it 'balanced'. That is a deadly combination at highway speed.

So looking at that boat (with an outboard), it looks like it is in pretty much the right position already, actually, I'd be surprised if it isn't a little light on the tongue weight as it sits. Do not move anything without weighing it. You have been warned already, people aren't telling you that to give you a hard time, it really is that serious. You won't forget the first (and only) time your boat passes you on the interstate...

64osby

Admiral
Take the truck and trailer/boat to a weigh scale.

Stop when the truck is off the scale but the support wheel is still over the scale. Weigh the boat.

Then raise the trailer off the ball and measure again. This is your total weight

The difference between the two is your tongue weight.

Tongue weight should be about 10% of the total package weight.

It is pretty easy to know for sure.:cool:

UncleWillie

Captain
I read through this twice and I can't find where we know what is towing the boat. ???
What is the towing capacity of the truck?
The rear end of the truck should not squat more than an inch or two under load.
Is the tongue too heavy or is the truck too small?
Measuring the tongue weight and looking up the towing capacity is still required.
Blindly reducing the tongue weight, can get exciting!!!

tblshur

Senior Chief Petty Officer
dansmach, u probably have it fixed by now ,looks like 2 1/4 x 2 or 3 inch flat bars of steel long enough to un pin roller and move up against boat then just drill holes to remount roller and extensions. hope u already have it. let us know how u did it. by the way really nice garage.