Bow stop concerns

dansmach

Cadet
I purchased this boat this last summer and have found that when the boat is all the way up against the bow stop, the trailer is too tongue heavy and the bunks stick out past the stern about 4". When I load it with the stern even with the bunks it is at a perfect balance but the boat is then 4" or so off of the bow stop. I would like to move the bow stop back further but the winch stand as as far back as I can go with it. Is there something that will attach to my winch stand that will extend the bow stop back to meet the bow? I have attached some pictures of my boat/trailer/winch. If it was a normal upright winch stand I know I could just buy a new arm boat those won't work with this particular winch stand.

smassey22180

Petty Officer 1st Class
Your first 2 pics are not working. The rear of the boat needs to be even with the back of the trailer. Usually the bunks stick out 4 or so inches past the rear of the trailer. You can change your winch post to get the bow stop where it needs to be. It is a bit of a research project but it can be done. Another option would be to move the axle forward an few inches. How much weight is on the tongue when you say it is heavy?

dansmach

Cadet
I don't know why they are not showing up. They are showing here. When the boat is all the way up against the bow stop, the rear of the truck and the front of the trailer are weighed down to the point where the chains drag and looks like an old sway back horse. Where it is sitting in the pictures is actually still too far forward. The bow stop and winch stand cannot be moved farther back on the tongue as it is right up against frame split now. I need something that will bolt onto the bow stop and extend it further back towards the boat.

dansmach

Cadet
Here is the boat hooked up to the truck at the proper balance. You can see here how the winch stand is all the way back. he adjustment on the bow stop will only move it further away or too low on the bow.
photo.JPG

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,..... In the middle of yer winch stand, where the 2 pieces meet, is a series of holes,....

Pull the bolts out, 'n find another set of holes that puts the bow stop where ya want it,....

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Well first get it on a scale and determine exactly what the tongue weight percentage is.... If "perfectly balanced" means little to no tongue weight then that would be dead wrong...

Your winch stand as it currently is does not have any provision for adjusting further back BUT you may be able to disassemble it, turn the lower half around so it angles back and then drill holes as needed to bolt the top half back on...OR you may need to purchase a new winch stand OR you may simply need helper springs on your truck

WrenchHead

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Go to a boat/trailer junk yard and cut off the bow stop from an old trailer. Then weld it in place where you want it. Or have a welding shop fabricate you a bow stop in the place you want it located. See your photo below with rendering of additional bow stop.
Boat.jpg

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
before I would go cutting and welding, I would move the upper head of the winch stand or move the axle forward.

why do you say the tongue weight is too high? what is the actual tongue weight? it should be almost 10% of the total weight of the boat and trailer. so if your boat weighs in at 2200# and your trailer weighs in at 1000#, your gear another 300#, your tongue weight should be 350#

dansmach

Cadet
well, I don't really have any way of knowing the actual tongue weight nor do I know how to get that measurement. All I know is that when it is up against the bow stop, the rear of the truck goes down causing the front end to come up and create poor handling. In my experience, that tells me that my load is too far forward. moving it back corrects the problem.

dansmach

Cadet
I was hoping somebody knew of a simple bolt on that would move my bow stop back a few inches. I guess I can try turning the lower half around and maybe drill more holes.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
A pair of bathroom scales under the tongue with a 2x4 between will tell you the weight

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
well, I don't really have any way of knowing the actual tongue weight nor do I know how to get that measurement. All I know is that when it is up against the bow stop, the rear of the truck goes down causing the front end to come up and create poor handling. In my experience, that tells me that my load is too far forward. moving it back corrects the problem.

Any large truck stop with a cat scale can get you your weights for around $10... many quarrys, scrap yards, feed mills, and garbage dumps will weigh you for free

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Proper tongue weigh is number one concern. Somewhere around 10% of the weight of the trailer.
Guessing that would be in the 150 to 200 pound range, minimum. Could go as high as 300#.

Move the axle forward or aft, to achieve the correct tongue weight.

Then raise or lower the ball on the hitch, so the trailer sits level.

If this set up still makes the truck squat in the back, and unweights the front of the truck, you need to work on the truck.

Last edited:

dansmach

Cadet
This all seems like a lot of quantum physics just to change a light bulb. I'm trying to stay away from re-engineering the whole trailer. It rides perfectly normal on the trailer when the boat sits off of the bow stop about 4 inches. All I want to do is move the bow stop back to meet the boat.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
It's YOUR boat, you can do whatever you wish... We are telling you the right way to do it as well as how to handle only what you asked..... Take it or leave it, we are only trying to help you.

Thalasso

Commander
Done with bathroom scale. What brand of winch do you have?

Last edited:

dansmach

Cadet
Thank you everyone for the advice. Without having to re-engineer the whole trailer by moving axles or welding up a new bow stop. I am inclined to try the simplest option first. That being to turn the base around the other way and then re-install the winch in new wholes. I follow the rule that the simplest solution is usually the correct one. I am assuming that Starcraft built the trailer with the proper balance without any load on it. Therefor, I believe the load should be transferred fore or aft for a proper weight distribution.

Here are a couple of pics of the final result. I think this may work. I will try it and see. Thanks again for all of your help.

bow stop 2.JPG

bow stop.JPG

jayhanig

Master Chief Petty Officer
I'm not going to push you on the tongue weight... either your truck pulls the trailer without it squatting or the boat wandering or it doesn't. I will say I don't see a thing wrong with flipping the winch stand around as you have, nor do I see any reason to weld anything. There's no reason why good nuts and bolts can't tighten things up adequately. Just torque them down well and check them every now and then to make sure they're not getting loose or getting rusty. My boat trailer's coupler, winch stand and winch are all bolted on. I've never felt it was iffy.