New car trailer light issue

lckstckn2smknbrls

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Last year my brother bought a new Subaru outback the dealer didn't have any with the factory hitch installed. The dealer was going to send it out but for the price we did it and he saved over a hundred dollars.

jayhanig

Master Chief Petty Officer
The guy said it plugged right into the harness, but I don't know how he'd get the "key on" and "constant" for power mixed up. It's all under a screwed down trim piece in the trunk. I'll velcro it down and fix the connector. At least all is working now.

I'm going to assume the grommet is going to be a problem now that the terminals are on the ends of the wires. You can still cut a grommet and make it work: The O becomes a C which will allow you to wrap it around a wire bundle already in place. Just slice the grommet in one place with a razor and don't remove any material. You can close it back up with a little insulation in a bottle or even a little piece of duct tape strategically placed.

ngt

Master Chief Petty Officer
Thanks for the advice, I'll do that this weekend. As for me installing the hitch, they threw it in for free. Can't get cheaper than that, but I guess you get what you pay for.

keith2k455

Chief Petty Officer
Having installed this device on my wife's '09 murano, the box plugs right into a harness, but you still need to add a power supply. They wanted me to run a wire to the battery, but I remember there was an unused hot wire in the vicinity so I used that instead of fishing wire through the undercarriage. No problems yet. My '04 Endeavor was the same way.